WIP - Complete SR-esque Oblivion modding guide

• 3 weeks later...

It would really be excellent to see this evolve. I remember having a full FCOM install with let's say *variable* stability. That was a loong time ago when I had a much lower-end rig (actually I think it may even have been a laptop...) although I thought I was fairly well-schooled in WryeBash and the various other tools necessary - that's one of the things I remember about oblivion modding actually: needing to use lots of 3rd party tools to mod, bash, organise, optimise, clean, do something or other to the LOD files... So not that different from Skyrim then I suppose! Anyway, though I would love to help with testing etc, I'm just too taken up by Skyrim right now to go about installing and modding Oblivion I'm afraid. But jolly good luck to you sir.

• 1 month later...

In dat pastebin I see RAEVWD

I say don't even try... I don't understand how it can be playable. Didn't try using it on my new GTX 780 Ti, but even on HD7950 it was a disaster - I never had playable FPS with it.

Just running TES4LodGen seems enough for me. I see Frostcrag spire, most of the forts, bridges, daedric statues...

What I hate about Oblivion graphics is distant land inaccuracy. I run TES4ll at the highest option, but still it is very inaccurate - a lot of "walls" in landscape (especially underwater), very distracting jumpy transitions when cells are loaded (actually this is also a problem with Skyrim, but to a much lesser extent). If you find a way to mod this out, I'd be grateful.

One thing that I think is new and may shake up the Oblivion mods and guide is that we now appear to have a working ENB for Oblivion too - Boris has the details on his enbdev site. I don't know if this is old news but it was a surprise to me.

Oh, and I think I remember someone saying that Oblivion only has a two level LOD whereas Skyrim uses 3 levels of LOD.

I'm only using parts of RAEVWD - and also tweaking Streamline so that even with RAEVWD, it doesn't affect performance. Then again, I haven't really done anything with Oblivion, so who knows for sure.

(also, what's going on with Kvatch Rebuilt? Never seen any progress on the update for it...)

I use Streamline only for FOV control

Memory purging of it is harmful - you get much higher loading times...

IIRC with full RAEVWD I got a ridiculously huge amount of geometry (checked in sdt 13 menu), so just freeing up memory or lowering lightning\shadow distance (which Streamline does) won't help.

Can anyone tell me about oblivion - is mod uninstallation there as damaging to save games as in Skyrim?

• 5 months later...

I guessing this is not going to happen... I would very much enjoy a set list that is full of mods but easy to follow and modular...

For Example: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition, Fear & Loathing or even Morrowind overhaul by Ornitocopter 

Well, as one of the few that puts the STEP guides together, and the author of F&L, I can tell you it is a very long and arduous process. Especially, the guides that written mostly by one person. With STEP, getting updates done take longer because they are much longer, but the process feels like much less work when there are others helping out. F&L sometimes felt like a guide I would never feel good enough about to have people use it, but after about 4 months of working on it, I finally had something.

My advice would be to look up FCOM Convergence and there is guide for that. It's pretty much 4 major overhauls combined into one massively modded game. It is hard and unforgiving though if you decide to play it.

Do you any experience modding oblivion...

I might look into creating guide if no one does probably something along the line of Vanilla (texture replacers, bug fixes and must have mods),  enhanced ( must have overhauls or whatever fits) and then something for fcom, deadly reflex, and other gameplay changing stuff). 

• 4 weeks later...

How far is the progress of this guide?

I've begun to write my own, though Mo gives me headaches related to Oblivion... I am used to a Wrye Bash installation and atm going step-by-step with Mo and an updated ModList which is not quite complete yet.

So, yes, I am definitely interested to contribute.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide

I've been working on it quite a bit for the two day I have been typing it. To get it started. I don't really fully understand Oblivion but I am hoping to.

I would recommend setting up a macro system using probably the num pad. I have 18 programmable buttons and 12 of them are being used a lot.

But other than that it doesn't take a really long time. Especially with macros.

Edited by hishutup

Aye, that guide looks cool from looking quickly over it. I am actually writing a full fletched document.

What I have could be very well combined with yours, cuz it's either supplemental or expanded on either side. I have a very rough put together Mod list (not complete at all and some things I have to test first, and might patches have to be done) and about 20 pages guide. To be sure, I am trying an approach like STEP for Skyrim which is quite - vast o.o

Anyway, if you like to check out what I have now (mind, only a weekend + some hours but 2 years Oblivion modding) shout out.

Edit: By the way, I think I figured some ways to make Mo work (almost) nicely with Oblivion. Actually, that is why my guide takes so long to get somewhere, 'cuz I do a lot of testing and research atm. If a serious project would run to develop an Oblivion guide, Tannin might be more inclined to correct certain things in Mo that do not quite yet work flawlessly with Oblivion.

Edited by Soire

theres many problems with MO but not many realize it. That kinda the issue with my guide. It requires WB for pretty much everything.

I have almost no experience with Oblivion but should be pretty close to Skyrim. I know skyrim but thats about it. I want to start off with a fixed guide and then expand to sections that are modular and I want to see your install list.

I find that documents get... lost to easy... I was using a few guides to get ideas but now i can't find them...

I think I have been typing for 6 hrs over two days but I used macros for formatting.

Do you know any tricks to increase frames because mine is at the ceiling were hardware doesn't matter. My GPU usage hovered around something really low like 30%

Edited by hishutup