Know your problem: what is the difference between CTD, freeze and ILS?

rootsrat

Question

Some of the less experienced users may incorrectly identify the type of issues they come across. No offence intended, we've all been there once :)

Most of you will be aware of the below, but I think it's beneficial to have this summarised. Therefore:

KNOW YOUR PROBLEM

The difference between CTD, ILS and freeze

There are 3 basic game breaking problems one may come across when playing Skyrim. It's important that you can differentiate between them and know what may be causing them, and how to fix them.

Please note that Skyrim engine is a strange animal and the below definitions will not always be accurate. I base the below on my own observations and experience, and if anyone can add something or correct me, feel free to post and I will edit this thread accordingly.

1. CTD - Crash To Desktop

What is it? CTD occurs when Skyrim application is suddenly closed and you get kicked out to desktop.

What causes it? The most likely culprits are either (in)famous 3.1GB RAM limit crash OR mod or script conflicts. The first one occurs mainly when you have too many high resolution textures loaded up and since Skyrim is unable to utilise more than 3.1 GB RAM when it reaches that limit, your game crashes.

How to fix it? If it's texture size related - either use ENBoost program to allow Skyrim reduce memory use or if you don't want to use it, reduce size of the textures you use. Mod conflicts often can be fixed by identifying CTD spot, making a vanilla save there and gradually increase a number of installed mods (say, 5 at a time), to see when the CTD will occur, so that you can identify the mod that causes your CTD.

2. ILS - Infinite Loading Screen

What is it? Infinite Loading Screen means that you are stuck on a loading screen forever. It occurs during transitions from one area to another or when loading a saved game. The animation keeps playing, the quotes change, but the game never loads up. For area transitions it happens most often when exiting an interior or exiting from a city into Skyrim land. Some ILS-potent spots were identified as follows:

- Dragonsreach -> Whiterun loading screen

- Jorvaskaar -> Whiterun loading screen

- Markarth -> Skyrm loading screen.

What causes it? ILS means that the game engine is not capable to load all the information it requires and quite often there is no definite solution. It's basically "You have too many mods installed" case. The game is trying to load all the meshes, scripts, textures etc., and it's just too much to cope with.

How to fix it? The solution is to decrease the number of mods. It's recommended to remove LOD mods in the first instance.

3. Game Freeze

What is it? We can talk about game freeze, when your screen (yes, you guessed right) freezes during gameplay. Neither keyboard nor mouse work, but the game doesn't crash to desktop.

What causes it? Game freezes are often caused by Papyrus scripts clogging. The game engine can only cope with so many scripts running at the same time and if you will have too many mods that add scripts, you may come across freezes. 

How to fix it? The freezes can be difficult to diagnose. Use your intuition.

An example: If your game often freezes during combat, check which combat mods are script-heavy. Enhanced Blood Textures, Burn Freeze Shock and Deadly Spell Impacts are good examples of mods that can cause your game to freeze (I am using this example, as it's confirmed information).

Remember - there's no 100% confidence that it's any one mod. It's the overall script load and often removing ANY of the mods can solve the problem. You only have to decide which of the mods you need least.

Another method is to enable Papyrus logging, play the game and once it freezes, check last entries in the Papyrus log - sometimes it will contain some indication at which of the scripts failed. The solution is to reduce the number of scripted mods.

I recently discovered that my primary/operating system/games hard drive was a 5400RPM (Western Digital Caviar Green), rather than the 7200RPM drive I thought it was...

I have since upgraded to a 500GB Samsung SSD and attached it to a SATA 3 port, so I expect loading to be a whole lot faster.

To add to some of the discussion here regarding pointing out what your actual problem is/could be:

In some cases, a freeze or a crash can just be that: a freeze or crash. Not everything is a symptom. 

Example: I was having ILS issues that were relatively consistent. Then, I was running at night fighting several enemies at night, and minty's lightning mod struck a mudcrab with a lightning bolt right as a dragon was landing in front of me, and the game froze. 

I immediately flipped out and spent the next two days not playing and tried to figure out what could be causing both things. Turns out, I had just misplaced my SKSE.ini and the freeze was because I didn't spend the .002 seconds reading the first few lines of the lightning mod. 

My problem was ILS, the freezing was not a symptom of that, yet I wasted countless hours reading and posting about it trying to find a solution that encompassed both of my perceived symptoms. It would be like trying to diagnose a bronchial infection but ignoring all of the solutions that don't include your shoulder pain from throwing a football. 

You forgot an important causes of game freezes.  An incorrectly configured memory patch.  As you know the game will freeze once it uses up it's first block of 256 MB.  STEP instructions incorporate the fix for that.  In my case it was incorrectly set up.  Using the memory log eventually revealed that.

Hey good people!  Here's one for you (riddle me this lol) I cannot find any help with this on the web.  I have started a new game, same ini's and mods, just a fresh game and re-install of mods. I started to get stutter,(you can see in FP mode with weapon drawn "phasing" when looking up and down) not affecting my FPS either, most noticeable when looking around or with weapon drawn, and in certain areas interior, but not as prolific outdoors.

So I re-installed Skyrim, still had the problem. So got enb Boost, got the crashFix's, and this fix also. My AMD is set for app, only vsync is enabled outside. I'm very stuck with this, and depressed lol I had a stable game before re-start, I re-started because there were mods I no longer wanted, and didn't want to use a save tool to remove them. Any help would be awesome, I'm not a smart egg (too many bumps to the head lol) So I really appreciate any help.