FNV with OneHUD and UnifiedHUD

EssArrBee

Question

I've been trying to put together a list of mods and install instructions for FNV for some time, but there is no real solution to using just one mod manager for FNV because of OneHUD and UnifiedHUD. The install scripts can only be used by NMM and I think FOMM which is a problem because neither of those seem to work through MO. NMM is 64-bit and FOMM crashes the second I try to install either mod.

Technically I can install OneHUD without the use of the installer, so that isn't my main problem, but UnifiedHUD is a different type of mod. I had heard about doing separate folder with the mods that UnifiedHUD needs to merge xml files then copying over, but that seems like a terrible thing for a guide to use if it is trying to simplify things for general users. The only thing I can think of is MO supporting 64-bit binaries so MO can start NMM.

What do you guys think, is there a better way to address these two mods or do I just wait for a plugin or 64-bit support?

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Before this goes off topic (caused by me), please send me a PM if you need some assistance. I think I can provide you with a good/small testcase which covers most problems. My results so far: It goes wrong the moment files have been 'overwritten' in NMM. If you want to see how I tested, please have a look at the mentioned issue in the issue tracker.

So I finally got around to using the NMM importer and I didn't have any issues to report. I have only run a couple of test runs so far, but every file was imported into it's own mod folder. I did not try to overwrite any mod folder that already existed with one being imported.

The Copy button worked great with problems, but the Copy & Delete left a few folders behind. All the MCM folders and plugin were left behind, but NMM showed the mod uninstalled, but for some reason the other mods were all removed just fine. Did not try the Move button, figured if Copy worked then Move would work.

One thing I notice with importing after using Unified HUD is that the generated xml file is put in the mod folder from the last mod installed before running uHUD. I used the importer for the actual directory and not a fake one. Using a fake directory will not with the NMM Importer. I got errors with the importer looking for files that it said didn't exist and it would just stop operating.

Sorry it took me so long, but I had to give midterms the last two weeks and then I got caught up with the STEP Patches project and some other stuff. I should have a few more test runs with the importer soon, maybe during next week. I'll add to the issue tracker if I find something new that should be reported.

I hope this doesn't just reanimate a dead thread, because for me this is highly current. I have tried to get the more obvious and important HUD mods to play together well in my new FNV play through. Of course I use Mod Organizer as much as possible, keeping a clean install directory is as important as having clean underwear!  :;): 

I use MO for everything other then the annoying HUD mods that need to play together to work well or even at all. For those I use FOMM and leave all the FOMM files in the Overwrite part of MO.

In somewhat alphabetical order the HUD mods are:

I followed the instruction for activation (FOMM uses Activate/Deactivate as wording for installation) of the mods on the oHUD page as follows:

Recommended Installation Order
It is important to install One HUD after Darns UI and any mods the require iHUDification:

1. Deactivate Unified HUD (if used).
2. Activate Darnified UI.
3. Activate Project Nevada
4. Activate Mod Configuration Menu (MCM)
5. Activate all other HUD altering mods (see above list).
6. Activate One HUD (oHUD) *.
7. Activate Unified HUD *.

*Always install oHUD and uHUD last. And if you install any mod affecting the HUD after these, reinstall them both.

For some reason, probably or most definitely 'cause of my own mistakes, I can't get some of the functionality of the mods to work. CASM won't save apart from the set autosave timer (e.g every 5 minutes) and I can't for the life of me get my compass to show, under any circumstances!  I think there are other parts that won't work as well, but those are the obvious ones for now. I suspect that Immersive HUD (included in the oHUD package) might be at fault, or something not playing well between it and something else.

@Ivanish, don’t worry about reviving an old thread. If this is the best fit for your question instead of a new thread, then so be it. It is better to have the information in one place than scattered all over.

Remember that files in the overwrite folder will always win any conflict. If you want to use a texture replacer and there are textures files in mods in the overwrite folder then the overwrite folder will win. This may make some things look odd. 

Keeping the overwrite folder clean is recommended, but there is also the possibility of FOMM having problems if these files are moved to a mod the next time it is run. This is sort of a catch-22 situation and there is not a simple answer for it. I rend to keep the files in the overwrite folder in NV until I am satisfied I will not need to I will not need to update the FOMM files.

I am reviving an old FNV load order for a new FNV game and will install your choice of mods. Just some notes from my previous install:

CASM can be installed in MO, there is not anything in the mod that requires the FOMM installer. Just double click the installer and deselect the FOMOD folder and text file.

I downloaded both Shiloh DS - Colored Map and Icons and Shiloh DS - Clean Pipboy Screen mods and took a look at them. Both have a nice install interface and options selections and you can install Shiloh DS - Colored Map and Icons in MO if you use some caution.

For Shiloh DS - Colored Map and Icons will install with either the internal or external FOMOD installer, but I got two folders when it finished. One had the game files in it and the other one was empty. I just deleted the empty folder. Looking through the archive I did not see any xml files so this can be installed by MO if needed.

For Shiloh DS - Clean Pipboy Screen with either the internal or external FOMOD installer I got two Folders, but it is best to install in FOMM as it has a menu.xml file in it.

For all the other mods you listed, I use those and installed them in FOMM.

In the past I haven’t had any problems like you mention, give me a few days to get my load order in check. I have decided to give the beta version of BOSS a go on this setup and will need time to work through any issues.

I should mention that the idea of using FOMM and keeping the files in the Overwrite was taken from a guide post in the old STEP forums. I can't find the post now, but it was about installing mods that needed to "see" each other, most of those being HUD/UI mods. Not all of the mods I mentioned in my initial post have a menu.xml file, some of them I put in my somewhat experimental Overwrite-mod because they have to do with my HUD, UI or because they caused issues (possibly from bad scripts on the authors behalf) when I installed them in MO.

Most of the mods I use are either the common texture packs, the HUD/UI mods mentioned, Nevada Skies or the FOOK-Project Nevada Convergence thingy. The only issues I have seem to be with the HUD and how most of it don't want to show itself! Shy bastards!  ::P:

I have used Mod Organizer extensively with Skyrim and gotten totally spoiled with how easy and smooth it was, so I'm not totally new with MO.

Thanks for the answers guys, looking forward to your experiences with your new load order, Thane.

Edited by Ivanish

You can't install the HUD stuff with MO. You have to use NMM and then import the stuff with the NMM import feature in MO, under the puzzle piece icon. Also, you have to manually move the MTUI compatible files for PN. Install PN, then go into the PN archive and go into the optional folder and then extract the contents of MTUI into the Data folder. Then continue installing the HUD mods.

Edit: You also can't have any other mods install when you start since the NMM import for MO doesn't work 100% yet.

Ok, time for an update. Using FOMM or NMM has no impact what so ever on my issues. FOMM might be old, but some of the HUD and UI mods most of us use are 3 or 4 years old now.

Load order seem to have a very minimal, I dare say negligible, effect on the previously mentioned problems. What will have immediate and critical impact is the order of which I overwrite/install/activate (call it what you will) the mods I use. My missing compass mentioned previously seem to be quite common with Project Nevada, DARN UI and oHUD (and it's previous three parts) which is obvious by simply making a Google search for e.g "Fallout New Vegas missing compass" or similar. Some users have stated that disabling and enabling the compass in the DUINVSettings.xml have solved their issues. It did not fix mine though.

What I did was desperately throwing the files from the DarnUI folder in the Project Nevada optional-folder, overwriting the files created in the whole Unified HUD process. This made my compass come back, but in turn made it impossible for me to use Adjustable HUD to move the objects on my HUD. Depending on what mod(s) overwrites what other mod(s) I can use different parts of the settings in the MCM and I will get different aspects of the HUD elements I want to show to actually be shown. Unified HUD seem to be a rather glorified mod if you ask me, and I'd rather have some help from you guys in tracking down which order I should actually install the mods. I'm even willing to learn a bit about editing the xml-files first hand, since it seems conflicts will be present, no matter what.

The order I got so far from reading up on the mods on either their Nexus page or their readmes are:

• DarnUI
  • Project Nevada (with the DarnUI files)
  • Project Nevada - Extra Options
  • MCM (Is this really the right spot for this? oHUD seem to think so, I have no idea)
  • Shilos Pipboy mods (hardly a part of any of my issues IMHO)
  • Selective Fire (this mod seem impervious to issues so far)
  • oHUD
  • Flashlight NVSE (activated after oHUD on recommendations from the author of Flashlight)
  • The Weapon Mod Menu (this mod, like FlashlightNVSE, tells me it wants to be installed late and tells me if I messed up)
  • Unified HUD

This order might be wrong, it might be right or it might be a good start. Simply put there doesn't seem to be enough information to go by to get these mods to work well together.

TL;DR:
I can get my compass back, but at the cost of the usability of Adjustable HUD. I still cant get CASM with MCM to work properly, most of the MCM settings are useless. The Primary Needs part of oHUD doesn't work at all, even though the menu do show.
Several MCM-settings and my HUD (or rather the mxl-files I guess) seem affected by poor integration between these mods, this much is obvious.

Thanks again for reading, guys!  ::):

EssArrBee, your post made me try a HUD/UI setup without oHUD. Well, that was the root of all my issues. I'd rather have a working HUD than an Immersible and Adjustable one I guess.  ::): As to what part of which mod created this mess, I think you guys above have more knowledge. I am surprised that a few of the most common and popular mods could behave this poorly together though. Then again, some of them are 4 years old...  :rolleyes: 

Thanks again for your time, guys. I'd love to see someone able to get all the mods I mentioned to work together, maybe GSDFan can do it with his new setup?

OK, I have what I believe is a working order for the problem presented here, at least on my system. Please note that I have just these mods installed as I had a game launch crash while I was building my new load order. I thought it was a mod problem, but somewhere along the line my fallout.ini got corrupted. I wasted a lot of time hunting it down and in the process I reinstalled the game files and deleted most of the installed mods. I decided to concentrate on these for now. I tested this in game for a few hours and the adjustable hud and other mods appear to be working.

Mods were installed with Fallout Mod Manager - FOMM - Fork and they went into the overwrite folder. In FOMM I used the package manager to install all of the mods, but I did not activate them until all of the were in the list.

• MTUI Or DUINV. Choose one or the other. They both conflict with each other.
  • Shilo Clean Pipboy screen. This will detect which one is installed, MTUI or DUINV.

• Project Nevada. PN provides its own MCM menu system so it nees to be installes early.
  • PN extra potions. When installing PN extra options, it will need to see the core files the main install.
  • Project Nevada - Extra Options - MCM Fix.

• Color Survival Map markers.

• Advanced Recon Trap Detection.
  • Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision. This will detect Advanced Recon Trap Detection and enable the integrate with other mods option
  • Advanced Recon armor stealth gear

• JIP Selective-Fire
  • JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating
  • JIP Companions Command & Control

• The Mod Configuration Menu, MCM.

• One Hud. Upon activation it will detect DUINV, MTUI or Vanilla.

• Flashlight NVSE. This needs to be installed after MCM and Onehud. In game message about hud files. Must reactivate after ihud is installed if activated before onehud.

• The Weapon Mod Menu. This needs to see NVSE and will when it is activated.

• MCM BugFix 2-42507-

• CASM with MCM at Fallout New Vegas. This is a single ESP and can be installed from MO. Uncheck the FOMOD and Text options.

In an interesting twist I found an alternate way to do this. Not sure how useful it is, nut it works. Read the spolier.

I stumbled onto a little trick that I am testing now. What i did was install the mods one at a time or in small groups without deactivating them in FOMM.

This is what I did:

Activate a mod and exit FOMM. Create a mod from the overwrite folder. I made sure to not activate the mod in MO afterwards. The overwrite folder is now clean. I repeated this for the remainder of the mods, all the while not deactivating the mod in FOMM. FOMM remembers the selections.

• MTUI was activated as its own mod.
  • Shilo Clean Pipboy screen was activated as its own mod.
  • Project Nevada, PN extra options and the MCM fix were activated together as one mod.
  • Color Survival Map markers was activated as its own mod.
  • Advanced Recon Trap Detection, Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision and Advanced Recon armor stealth gear were activated as together as one mod.
  • JIP Selective-Fire, JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating and JIP Companions Command & Control were activated together as one mod.
  • The MCM menu, Onehud and Flashlight NVSE were activated together as one mod.
  • The weapon mod menu was activated as its own mod.

After all this I ran the unified hud. Because I did not deactivate any mods from package manager it remembered which mods were installed. It created the new patched menu files, which I made into a mod in MO.

All the mods in MO were in the order presented above. All were activated and tested in game. The only error I got was a message that duplicate entries for MCM present and the pause menu would be delayed.

EDIT: I forgot to mention here that is you run FOMM and deactivate any of the mods in the package manager and the mods are active in MO, the files in the mod you created will get removed. I did this with Project Nevada and the game would not start because the files were missing.

Sorry to bring this up again, but couldn't MO run the external installers (like fomod) inside the virtual filesystem (like with other utility programs)?  That way the installer could see all the other mods and files that are currently active.

I can't get the UIs to work.  I followed EssArrBee'd detailed step by step, and I did it twice.  Project Nevada never was right, Gave me a message: problem with the Project Nevada install because HUD extensions were not detected.  Even so, I got a lot of Project Nevada showing up in the MCM.  That didn't last long.   I added or tried to the Advanced Recon mods.  The Stealth armor wouldn't let the game start, and neither would the Thermal Nightvision until I put its Project Nevada patch into the optional panel. Then abruptly the game wouldn't load at all unless I unticked the Project Nevadas.  At some point I lost the MCM interface.  So it's been hell.  Well, there's always Nexus Mod Manager.  It's not pretty, it's not clean, but boy it makes installing these UI mods a simple thing.   I'm hoping  Gopher will do a slow, patient step by step video on getting these UIs to work with Mod Organizer.  I'm told it can be done.  We'll see.