Unique Grasses - Nature and Landscape Enhancement (by Josh Ezzell)

johnnyboy88

Hey guys, a couple things.

First, the only reason a 2K option is offered is because I made my textures in 2K and the ones provided by Elinen's resource are also 2K. I work high quality, nothing less. I provide you with options. I really don't recommend playing with the 2K textures. 1K (which has 'recommended' next to it in the installer) is good enough. In fact, for gameplay, the 512x512 is probably good enough. You want it to look good without killing you game experience. 2K is there because I have the 2K source files. It's also good for screenshooters.

I would personally raise the iMinGrassSize to 30 or 40 while using the default plugin to gain performance (other than using lower quality textures). The less dense versions of the mod don't look as good as the default with a iMinGrassSize tweak.

Second, I am slowly developing V3 of the mod. I am making a new optional plugin - ClippingFixer. It paints the landscape in various areas with textures that have no grass attached. Obviously, the #1 complaint I get is about grass clipping through objects. This plugin can be used by other grass mods to help prevent clipping as well (Vurt's old 'Overgrown' editions of SFO could have benefited from this plugin). I previously didn't want to make this plugin because it's boring and a lot of work to find all the problem areas. Anyways, I am working on it now but I need some help. The problem with a plugin like this is it makes lots of cell edits. I need to determine if they cause problems with lots of mods or not. So far conflicts from TES5Edit show things like Immersive Settlements, Unofficial Patches, etc. Basically everything that adds content to cells. Can I get some testers? Also, anyone handy with TES5Edit? I am not really good will merging edits from plugins like the unofficial patches and such. Need help with that. I would be fine with directions. It would be good for me to learn myself so in the future I don't need to call on anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this installed for a month now, the 1K version, and I have nothing but good things to say about this mod.  I have SFO diversity and unique grasses - no roads version installed and the landscape is just perfect, the grass is varied compared to all the other grass mods, the grass size is normal unlike other grass mods and the performance difference is minor on my machine.  I am using Skyrim Mod Combiner with all the highest res texture options and I am getting 50-60fps with Seasons ENB with a Static DOF on uGrid 5.

4.2Ghz + Titan.

I have had this installed for a month now, the 1K version, and I have nothing but good things to say about this mod.  I have SFO diversity and unique grasses - no roads version installed and the landscape is just perfect, the grass is varied compared to all the other grass mods, the grass size is normal unlike other grass mods and the performance difference is minor on my machine.  I am using Skyrim Mod Combiner with all the highest res texture options and I am getting 50-60fps with Seasons ENB with a Static DOF on uGrid 5.

4.2Ghz + Titan.

Do you install this over SFO? Also, do you use normal density of this mod? 

Yes, extra density looks silly. I am using SFO 2.0 alpha. Looks great!

I don't think there's an extra density option. I think it's just default dense and less dense. I take it you're using default dense?

Are you using any of his optional files?

EDIT: Also, why does he say to change some of your grass values in your .ini files if he includes a mod .ini file with every option? Doesn't that automatically override what you have set in skyim.ini?

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

I meant I have left the grassdensity setting in my skyrim.ini (or was that skyrimpref.ini) on default.  

Yes I am using all his optional files.  SFO 2.0 alpha looks Awesome, I love the trees!!  Fixed all the issues I had with it!  Especially some silly looking flowers.

Edited by Garfink

So you're using his default normal density oe less dense? Sorry. Just a bit unclear. And by all the optionals, you mean the two mindflux textures? Like the grass and clovers?

Also, any idea about why we need to change the grass values if the file includes its ow .ini files?

5 of course.  I use a static DOF that gently blurs the distance LOD, looks like DOF but has almost no performance hit and 5 or 7 doesn't matter as much.  Still get the occasional pop-in but that has never bothered me.  YMMV of course.  

Even the 1k version of this mod lowered by FPS by a considerable amount :-/. Looks pretty great though. Adds some nice diversity on top of Skyrim Flora Overhaul.

I was surprised that it only overwrites two textures from Skyrim Flora Overhaul. It only overwrites fieldgrass.dds and fieldgrass_n.dds. How can that be? What about all of Vurt's grass? Does it just add more on top of it?