Purple waterfalls and default foam

danime91

Question

I had recently finished installing Skyrim and working my way through installing all the STEP mods. Everything seemed to be working fine, but once I got in-game, I noticed that the waterfalls were purple and the foam effects were vanilla. So I uninstalled WATER, tried redownloading it, reinstalling it, but still purple. Then I tried just uninstalling it and playing without it. The waterfalls are still purple. There don't seem to be any other problems with textures, just the waterfalls. Anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

10 answers to this question

I had recently finished installing Skyrim and working my way through installing all the STEP mods. Everything seemed to be working fine but once I got in-game, I noticed that the waterfalls were purple and the foam effects were vanilla. So I uninstalled WATER, tried redownloading it, reinstalling it, but still purple. Then I tried just uninstalling it and playing without it. The waterfalls are still purple. There don't seem to be any other problems with textures, just the waterfalls. Anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Strange bug. Are you using wrye bash or MO? Have you activated the BSAs, to keep proper load order?

Try disabling SkyFalls and SkyMills and see if the bug is still there. You see, my mod comes with its own meshes for waterfalls. So for some reason the textures it references too are no longer there. Which is strange, as it should work fine with vanilla Skyrim. Try reinstalling my mod. Disbaling WATER should not make a difference to waterfalls anymore.

Load up the mesh in nifskope and then try to apply the texture. If it works there then it starts to get weird!

If it works there, then just make sure that its that texture you use ingame as well!

If you need more help with the details then just say it.

I'm using Wrye Bash as my mod program.

So I tried disabling Skyfalls, but the problem persists in-game. Downloading it and reinstalling it didn't help either.

Here's screenshots of the problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for that first screenshot, I tried opening the creek mesh in Nifskope and it applies the texture just fine. Not sure about waterfalls because I couldn't seem to find the mesh for them.

I didn't think I had to add the bsa to Skyrim.ini because generally the mods seemed to work without doing that.

Yeah sorry about that. The strange thing is that in the actual rivers, the water looks fine. It's when it gets to waterfalls and rapids that it becomes purple.

This seems to me an ENB related issue, try disabling your ENB and see if it is gone. If it is gone after that, you need to tweak your ENB particle settings to get rid of it.

Huh, digging around in the textures/effects folder, I found a chunk of texture files that are 0B, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be the case. Among them are fx_ichorbarrel, fxwaterfallwhitestriplite, fxwatertile01, fxwaterwall, fxwerewolfbody, fxwoodburning, and a handful of others.

Also I'm not using ENB.

EDIT: It seems that all the 0B files are from the STD folder from the STEP guide. Seems like somehow or other it got messed up during optimization.

EDIT2: Yup, that did it. Just took the same files from the extracted STD folder and replaced them. Water is looking fine again. Sure they're not optimized, but I can deal with a few unoptimized texture files. Thanks for helping me work through this.

Yup 0b means that there is nothing in the file of interrest... failed optimization. Also you should not optimize the water stuff... it does weird things to the normal maps which can cause artifacts... they are kinda touchy like that.

Marking as solved.