Creation Kit (by Bethesda)

Luinithil

Question

I'm following the instructions given in the guide to open up Live Another Life in the CK-- all plugins have been cleaned with TES5Edit. I selected Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm and Dragonborn.esm, and lastly the Alternate Start plugin, setting it as the active file. Loading the files proceeds as usual, then at some point loading Hearthfires (around 80% loaded) it pops up with this error message:

Assert

File: C:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\TES Shared\misc\BGSLocalizedString.cpp

Line:2871
LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading strings file.

There is an option to Abort/Retry/Ignore. I click "Ignore" at this point (have also tried "Retry", with the same results), and it gives me the following message:

MASTERFILE: LOCALIZATION: Zero entries or empty block size read from strings file STRINGS/Dragonborn_ENGLISH.STRINGS. Strings will be missing. Yes to all will disable all Warnings for this context.

I hit "Yes to all" and the CK promptly crashes. I've verified my cache twice, redownloaded Dragonborn.esm, and still the problem persists. Help! What am I getting wrong?

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1527452-creating-mod-addons/

I just noticed that Zilav might have already answered my question when I asked him about plugins and navmesh overrides:

Toggling Jaggarsfeld to be an ESM while I work in the CK might be the answer I've been looking for as long as this change doesn't require the main mod to stay an ESM in the header...

I can confirm adding the ESM record flag to the plugin being edited by another plugin works. This is how to make "addon mods" that requires a plugin to overwrite another plugin form changes in the CK. I tested this method tonight and it allowed the changes I made in the CK to save without creating the duplicate worldspace, and I confirmed the changes overwrote and worked in-game. This is good information to know. This method was also confirmed to be the correct method by Zilav via PM and by Arthmoor at the link above.

Hey, just looking for some advice here; attempting to make a compatibility patch between Hallgarths for NPC's and Inhabitants of Skyrim (+USLEEP).  I've made a plugin in xEdit that uses the records from IoS with the hairs from Hallgarths.  I converted HallgarthAdditionalHair.esp to a master by editing the record flag in xEdit. 

Start up the CK... and step firmly outside the bounds of my knowledge.

I imagine I need to load HallgarthAdditionalHair.esp, my mod - Hallgarths for Inhabitants of Skyrim.esp , USLEEP and the base game plugins.  Is this correct?  IoS (NPC_Overhaul_V_3.esp) is not a master to my mod, so I'm not sure whether I need to load it as well?

From there I'm just not sure how to go about selecting my NPC's.  I can't discern a way to see the contents of an individual .esp like I can in xEdit.  I'm hoping for some way to simply select all the NPC's from my plugin and batch export all the facegen at once.  Really hoping I don't have to open xEdit, note down every NPC in my patch, open CK, select them individually and export facegen one at a time... Say it ain't so!

After that I've read about troubles with the output of Facegen data in MO, where it will place those files inside the last loaded mod that contains them if there is one.  I'd like to be able to share this afterward so it's important all the data ends up in a new folder.  For that reason I've created a new profile in MO where only the mods I need active are, but CRF (which is a master to IoS...which I may or may not need to load, I think not) contains at least some facegen data, not sure if it overlaps with any NPC's in my plugin...

Is there any way to ensure the files go where I want them to in MO?

So I've just had a thought and opened the .bsa for USLEEP and of course it contains facegen data.  Now it may not overlap with NPC's in my plugin, but there are quite a lot of them, and I really don't want to take the chance - I need to be certain that all the relevant FaceGen Data ends up in my Overwrite folder.  If anyone can throw me a bone here? 

When I'm done there will be a pretty cool, world/style fitting overhaul of Skyrim's NPCs with a greater range of available hairstyles - and those hairstyles applied to NPCs in an appropriate manner!  

Rule of thumb with MO's overwrite folder is:

if the file exists it will be replaced, if it is new then it is created and found in the overwrite.

Keep in mind MO can not do anything to any file contained within a BSA. Any new stuff you create cannot possibly overwrite any existing data from USLEEP.

The path to any *.nifs you make should be pointing to your plugin, ie. \meshes\actors\characters\facegendata\facegeom\<yourplugin.esp> thus it won't conflict with anything.