Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 - Trudgement Day (by SparrowPrince)

torminater

I have done extensive testing with the noise maps (one I have not yet looked at is Ewis' ... 33846), and I have looked at every combination extensively. The OP has what I believed to be the most representative without adding another 56 images.

I was torn between DTTL noise and EDT-Earth (both blend LOD ground nicely with SFO grass in foreground), as both look very good with EDT2. My main nit with DTTL is that it is a bit blotchy and does break up the roads a bit; however, it sort of grew on me the more I looked at it, because I began to accept that the roads of Skyrim should not necessarily be overly worn.

I would be just as happy with EDT-Earth though, and it would be simpler to then omit DTTL.

HDET does not compare as well to these others, IMO.

DTTL SFO LODs do not work at all with SFO (the last one is the beta of my recolored versions). The DTTL vanilla ones work better. Since I thought that SFO snowy trees were too yellowish and DTTL was too greenish (see second image), I created the recolored DTTL SFO LODs and SFO snowy trees that are on Vurt's page:

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I'll concede to not using DTTL noise map for terrain, since it does break up the roads and it does complicate installation unnecessarily.

However, I propose EDT-Earth rather than HDET, because the latter is a bit too blotchy, IMO. The former uses a finer grain that seems to better indicate grass clumps that are farther away. gallery below (image names represent the mods under review. Note that this looks at the scene under EDT2, which I think is really a no-brainer)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fnnk87cub1bikf6/vvIcdabUAZ

I propose we accept this one ... seconds?

• 4 months later...

Yeah I stopped using EDT & EDT2. 

HD Detailed Terrain includes all the textures needed. Only other distant terrain mod I use in conjunction with that is HQLODS and then only the hi-res meshes as the normals give black seams (see the HQLOD thread at step). 

HD Detailed Terrain fits pretty good with SRO but it fits really good to AMB Landscape. 

Main issue I had with EDT2 is that the darkening of the distant textures was heavily aliased when moving around, making it more of an annoyance and only good for screenshots. Others have had different experience I'm sure.