WilliamImm

Solitude: The city of infinite loading (struggles with personal SR installation)

Question

It seems that, for me, I can never actually do many productive things while in the city in Solitude. It would be much better if it didn't have infinte loading screens all the freaking time. And since being a Legate requires you to visit Solitude often.... uggghghghhhhh.... Saving in a interior building doesn't seem to help... I am seriously at a loss.

As for what I'm doing, I'm testing out Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition guide (and also trying to play the game for my own enjoyment).. But seriously, Soluitude being so bad with ILSes, it makes me want to coc to needed places only. And before you ask, no, I did not use any z-fighting tweaks.

Here, on my Pastebin, are links to my Skyrim.ini, my Skyrimprefs.ini, my ModOrganizer mod order, and my load order. I am stumped... what can I do to fix this?

Well I'm probabley  gonna be in trouble for suggesting this, but if you haven't tried ATTK yet, that's what I would do. The install is simple and to uninstall is simple. I've been using it since its beginning and it seems to have helped.

By the way, Thanks for being a mod maker you guys ROCK!

Er... not planning on using that. Going to do a quick test with ENB disabled (I am using Unreal Cinema) and see if the problems stop. I would test right now, but I have a vacation coming for the next few days, and the current saves seem to ILS on me... so, can't test right this moment.

There is a setting in ENBlocal.ini: DisablePreloadToVRAM=false. Some users reported reduced ILS when they change that to true. It didn't seem to help my ILS's, however this Skyrim.ini tweak: iLargeIntRefCount=131072 - helped me with exterior ILS's... I know it's supposed to help with loading big interiors, but I used to get a lot of ILS recently, and when I added that line to my ini file, they've stopped. I don't know if there is a connection, but it wouldn't hurt to try :)

I've added that, also going to try using real fullscreen (as that solved ILS problems for another users). Gonna do so once I return from my vacation.

It may be not related at all, but I noticed that turning ENB off at main menu prior to loading the saved game apparently helpss ILS... It may be just a coincidence though.

Might not be... back in the "old" days then disabling ENB before a troublesome load helped out with the issue. Think most of us have just reduced memory by so much in the past that the problem went away and we forgot about it. Now that VRAM is getting loaded up again due to recent changes then it might be back.

Might not be... back in the "old" days then disabling ENB before a troublesome load helped out with the issue. Think most of us have just reduced memory by so much in the past that the problem went away and we forgot about it. Now that VRAM is getting loaded up again due to recent changes then it might be back.

I wonder if the newer ENB with the patch fixes this? I can't check because I don't have ILS problems.

Its very hard to diagnose ILS/CTD problems in Skyrim. Even with low memory / mod usage they can happen without warning for various reasons (just look at the various uesp pages for bugs). In any case, it could also be a formerly stable mod now unstable with a new version... its really hard to tell.

The real problem is the ancient TES engine that really needs a remake from scratch... patch 1.9 didn't help.

Actually if I start getting them now in large amounts then the most likely reason would be because of the unofficial patch updates.

(After I reduce texture load ofc.). Tried to update them today...

Luckely I got backups of everything from here to january!

Since I'm writing a guide I'm pretty much forced to use what is available at time of writing and some mod authors don't leave old versions. For better or worse.

...ugh... Nothing at all seems to be working. Those solutions that appear to work only do so for a short time, then it's back to CTD and ILSes every few minutes or so. Especially in any of Solitude, Riften, and Windhelm. I think the stability issues that Neovalen and I have been experiencing may be due to Patch 1.9 mucking things up memory wise - Arthmoor has also been experiencing strange stability issues when testing Open Cities that he never had before, attributed to Patch 1.9 as well.

In any case, I feel like going and running though Mass Effect right now, because that at least does not crash every 5 minutes when you try to play it.

In any case, I feel like going and running though Mass Effect right now, because that at least does not crash every 5 minutes when you try to play it.

Maybe on your machine :/ ME1 is buggy as hell when I run it on mine... I gave up couple of months ago.

There was an issue with the guns in the first mass effect where they wouldn't cool down. I found an unofficial patch that fixed it I can look it up for you. Although I was using the DVD version of the game are you using the Steam version?

Okay... just for funsies.. and because I am tried at messing with textures I tried out the good ol ILS/CTD city test.

Entered the game with coc in dragons reach. From there went around just about all buildings in whiterun.

No issues.. transitions got faster to the point of instant after a few buildings. Finally did a test of running out of the city and in again.

process use up around 5Gb.

After whiterun I coc to solitude.... ran in and out of several buildings, and in and out of the city.. no issues.

Proceded to windhelm... the same, and no issues there either.

I did notice that the amount of memory used increase quite a bit after just a few buildings visited.

For my then it topped of at Skyrim and ENBhost process using up around 5Gb of RAM... properly all of the VRAM.

My current texture load is full 2k on all major packs, and most accesories. Currently in the process of making grass and plants 2k as well.

But all in all, no ILS on my setup. At least nothing that can be easily reproduced.

So I cannot see it being an issue with the patch... since it obviously works here, unless I missed something.

If ya can come up with a test run I should do then by all means let me know!

I've seen someone mentioning hat on x64 OS and with => 2GB VRAM the ReservedMemorySizeMb setting should be slightly over your VRAM value. I added 256MB (it's not really "slightly", I know) and set it to 2304 and some initial testing shows that my ILS were greatly reduced. Not gone completly though...

Here's my enblocal.ini settings. I use ENB series 0207.

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

// ENBSeries effect file

// visit https://enbdev.com for updates

// Copyright © 2007-2011 Boris Vorontsov

//

// Using decompiled shader of TES Skyrim

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

// Unreal Cinema ENB - The Directors Cut - 2.07

//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=true