Immersive Interiors (by SomeWelshGuy)

lubojart

Hi, this is my first post of the community, so I apologize in advance just in case I did something inadequate.

Description from mod page:

It is a project based upon my Oblivion mod of the same name. The aim is to replace the generic, always dark interiors of city buildings and turn them into dynamic areas that reflect the outdoor lighting, weather and sound. This removes the feeling of the interiors being isolated, dungeon like areas and transforms them into areas with new found realism and immersion.

== So, how does it do this? ==

''Makes every window transparent and allows you to see the weather, lighting and city exterior from inside the building. This means you can be sitting in a tavern watching the sun set on the street outside.

Uses carefully crafted imagespace and lighting templates to reflect the outdoor weather inside. So if there's a beautiful sunset in Whiterun when you enter Breezehome, your home will be flooded with luscious orange light. If it's dark and raining, then the inside will be dark and you'll see rain trickle down the windows.

Improves Bethesda's "console lighting" by making sure every light source actually produces light where it should. Adds more special effects in interiors and uses shadow lights wherever possible to achieve a realistic look.

Whereas the Oblivion version recreates the cities outside, this is more than that, and is a total lighting overhaul for interiors.

This is all achieved whilst keeping performance impact to an absolute minimum.''

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/39208/?

It's important to notice that this is a new mod, so it's not complete yet.

• 1 month later...

It works with Climates of Tamriel and Enhanced Lights and FX just fine. It may have issues with others, but those are the important ones anyway :p. Also the mod author seems to be advancing the project at a rapid pace. Definitely should be considered for Skyrim Revisited. I am planning on trying to insert it in there on my own implementation. I just better hope the ESPs don't need editing to get it to work with some of the other mods because then I will be completely lost.

• 4 months later...

I admire the ambition for such projects but in the end I feel they are too ambitious unless you have a whole team of modders working on it. I stopped using the various lighting overhauls (the ones that edit or place freakin' lights throughout the game) for the following reasons:

* they are never finished and usually always WIP

* even if actively developed, it means updating a most likely invasive mod into your current game

* they mess with the gameworld too much and create conflict headaches

* a good ENB will do a good lighting enhancement without editing cells

Does anyone else feel this way about these types of projects?

Take Static Mesh Improvement Mod. Genius and beautiful work, but it forces me onto a tightrope of worrying about texture/mesh conflicts, also it really stresses out the GPU for (I'd argue) a modicum of benefit.

Before anyone thinks I'm some kind of mod prude, I run my game with 185 ESP's but I generally shy away from mods that tinker overly much (IMO) with the tender underbelly of the gameworld especially when the results don't stand up to the effort.

Reasonable POV, but I don't think even ENBs can overcome the vanilla lighting coming from no particular source, incorrect shadows, etc. They can only bring out the lighting choices already made, not add new sources of light or shadow (or so I think ...). However, even if this is the case the payback for more realistic or enhanced lighting may be too low for the headache involved.

I saw this in a review video and fell in love with the idea, but alas it only cover Whiterun. My love will remain unrequited until it covers at least the major cities, otherwise my immersion would be put off. Kudos & encouragement worthy effort though, really ambitious.

As for Kuldebar's concerns over the game's underbelly, all I have to say is;

Hi, I'm Red' and I'm a Mod Addict...

...this is an Overmodders Anonymous meeting, right?

Reasonable POV' date=' but I don't think even ENBs can overcome the vanilla lighting coming from no particular source, incorrect shadows, etc. They can only bring out the lighting choices already made, not add new sources of light or shadow (or so I think ...). However, even if this is the case the payback for more realistic or enhanced lighting may be too low for the headache involved.[/quote']

No, you are right. The enb won't surmount many of the glaring light issues. But some can be mitigated:

- Day/Night cycles for instance in interiors and dungeons.

- Quality of the light and shadows, etc

- overall ambience

Yes, those annoying dungeon spaces that are lit by some invisible light source are still rather irritating but many enb presets and COT/Image space esp's can soften the harshness.

Reasonable. The other issue with ENB edits to dungeons is that although you as a player are creeping around in the dark, NCPs (i.e., enemies) still use vanilla lighting to spot your creeping about. Annoying to think you are being all stealthy creeping about int he shadows when NPCs can spot you with no problem because the vanilla lighting in the area is actually pretty good.

Problem is there is only six light sources in a given cell that can act as shadow providers.... This put a rather large limit on the amount of lighting you can put in at once. Also even though you can use that many, then it does not mean you want to, light flickering is a rather annoying issue, and depends on quite a few factors.

Also the more lights that cast shadows, the more performance is drained.. depending on the quality of meshes used. A good example of this is ELFX in Jorrvaskr basement with SMIM chandeliers.

In general there is no way to make skyrim truly immersive in terms of lighting, you are always going to need ambient lighting.

And as statmonster says... even though it might be dark for you, does not mean it is dark for NPC´s which is even more immersion breaking then actually being able to see a bit further then what is realistic.

I use this mod from long ago and I have only one complaint: sometimes there is one second delay with enb to process the whole scene with the source lights from windows, so you see the image with light from windows and one second later the image change and fit the new lights. On the other hand you get a better ambiance light (more and better light in the morning, and moonlight in the night).

https://www.gameora.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/immersive-interiors.jpg