CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

With my AMD 7970 3GB is working like a charm, at least on the RAM figures.

I am using MEM INFO to monitor in-game RAM and FPS and I have been positively surprised by the numbers shown.

The only figure that i do not know how it performs is the figure of VRAM, as to do some comparison, since MEM INFO is not displaying that.

As far as I know SPM, cannot hook up well with ENB enabled, so do u guys have any ideas of how I can monitor in-game VRAM in conjunction with RAM as to have a more objective comparison?

Can you paste your skyrimlocal.ini so I can see your settings?

The newest version seems to both put AMD support at NVIDIA levels, allowing us to use all the RAM tweaks without side effects, while also, in my case, provide a modest but welcome FPS boost.

Boris is a genius if you ask me. I didnt think this much of a step up was possible on the current engine.

With my AMD 7970 3GB is working like a charm, at least on the RAM figures.

I am using MEM INFO to monitor in-game RAM and FPS and I have been positively surprised by the numbers shown.

The only figure that i do not know how it performs is the figure of VRAM, as to do some comparison, since MEM INFO is not displaying that.

As far as I know SPM, cannot hook up well with ENB enabled, so do u guys have any ideas of how I can monitor in-game VRAM in conjunction with RAM as to have a more objective comparison?

you can use GPU-Z to monitor and log your vram usage, although it does not have an on-screen display for you to look at in-game. You can, however, look at the log once you exit the game and tell GPUZ to stop logging.

So I'm guessing that ENB has really changed with the v.200 release. Boris added a custom garbage collection if the ReduceSystemMemoryUsage is set to true by using a separate exe. I think that may be one of the biggest problems as someone mentioned on the 3.1GB thread a while back that it could be garbage collection and that made a lot of sense.

Figured I'd post here just to give people considering using this an idea of a possible performance result.

I run Skyrim with the Texture Pack Combiner with nearly every mod (maybe 3 or 4 optionals that I don't use), on top of that I have a number of gameplay enhancement mods (SkyRe, Locational Damage, CCO), some environment and immersion mods (CoT, Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Wet and Cold, Winter is Coming) and also run an enb profile on enbseries_v0.199.

Before I used CTD and Performance patch ENBoost at any given point my game would sit at 2.5gb ram, this could jump to 3.1gb and cause the game to CTD on a semi-regular basis when I entered new interiors, or entered a new zone. My Vram usage was ~1900Mb and GPU load would sit anywhere between 90-99%, with the card running an average temp of 48-55ºC.

After installing CTD&PpENBoost my ram usage was reduced to ~700mb, and the highest I got it to jump was 1500mb, have not experienced a CTD since applying the settings in enblocal.ini, Vram usage has jumped about 5%, sitting regularly at 95%, pushing my card up to an average run temp of 60ºC using ~2000Mb of the 2048 available on the card.

My System:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k

GPU: Nvidia Gtx 680 Asus Direct CU II Overclocked 2gb vram

RAM: G.Skill Trident X @2400MHz 16gb

Motherboard: MSI z77 MPower

System Drive: Samsung Pro 128gb SSD

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200RPM

Oh the ENB versions is v0.200, but the ENBoost version which is just the enblocal.ini that goes along with ENB is what is on the Nexus. The ENBoost INI is a custom version that disables any graphical modifications that you would usually have with an ENB profile while allowing you to have the memory reducing features.

I wouldn't even sweat a drop over 60 degrees, that is nothing to worry about at all. If you have no crashes then I would suggest to keep your current setup as is until you finish a playthrough or get sick of it.

The enbseries.ini contains all the "special effect" info.

The enblocal.ini contains the technical stuff like memory optimization etc.

If you only have enblocal.ini and the .dll then it will assume that everything else is deactivated. If you have the other as well then it will apply the effects.

If you futhermore have enbeffect.fx file then it will apply the shaders included in that to the color correction.

If you have an enbbloom.fx file then it will apply the shader code in here to the enbbloom.

if you have enbeffectprepass.fx then it will apply the depth of field code included in that.

The sunsprite will contain information about how the sunsprite will look. Like rain will contain the base texture for the rain effect.

In the enblocal.ini you can set a proxy lib. like sweetFX that will then apply its shaders/injectors as well. Hence you can take ULO and put it on top of a neutral ENB and get the best of both worlds if you want to do that for example.

Guess that covers it all.

Some initial feedback: my system RAM usage went down from 2.7-2.8 GB average to 700-800 MB average. My VRAM usage stayed pretty much at the same level, as prior to using ENBoost. Tested with SPM and VMM for about 1 hour. Note that I was using enblocal.ini provided by the ENB I use (see below), and not the one provided by ENBoost download section.

Also, I noticed I have slightly more FPS now, roughly +5 in exteriors and +10 in interiors. I use ENB though (Unreal Cinema namely), so the FPS boost may be due to switching ENB set up from 0186 to 0200.

Some more testing to be done, including using higher resolution for exterior textures.