CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

The only effect ENBoost should have on 'performance' is stuttering, which can be completely eliminated or at least very much reduced by trying out different settings for your particular system.

Just make sure all enblocal.ini graphic options / fixes that can potentially cause a drop in performance are disabled. 

The d3d9.dll will decrease performance no matter what part of ENB is turned on. The FNV version is still using an version of enboost I believe.

So, if I prefer performance over stability should I just use the memory patch by sheson and leave out ENBoost?

Edited by hellanios

So, if I prefer performance over stability should I just use the memory patch by sheson and leave out ENBoost?

They are different. Sheson's patch is for the stack allocation that made SKyrim go nuts why it was to small. This made papyrus crash the game, but now it's much better with a bigger allocation. Enboost is for the way textures take up address space to keep them from exhausting the address space of a 32-bit app or 3.25gb. But, yes you can leave of enboost but you may get a few out of memory crashes.

If your game runs stable with only the memory patch (i.e. SKSe 1.7+) then there is no need for ENBoost. However it is also because of the way that Sheson's memory patch works  that many users find they need ENBoost. Basically:

- Sheson's memory patch increases the amount of memory the game uses, by expanding one of the reserved memory blocks. Check ram usage before and after enabling the memory patch and you will see.

- ENBoost expands the amount of memory the game can use without CTD'ing, by offloading some to another executable (enbhost.exe).

Thus it follows that even on fairly standard mod setups, you will need both the memory patch ánd ENBoost. 

I know that I haven't crashed in ages, and I use both. However there is a small amount of stutter which I cannot get rid of, and which is mostly due to overloading on graphical mods that my old GPU cannot handle... So beware of that :)

Tl;Dr: I recommend changing those settings to manually set the VRAM, because it caused really bad problems for me(wrong VRAM settings by auto allocation).

Those settings made my Skyrim stutter, because it didn't set the proper VRAM:

Find the section marked [MEMORY] and ...

• Set VideoMemorySizeMb= ('yes, this should be blank')
  • Set AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true
  • (64-bit env only) Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

NOTE: This sets the proper VRAM allocation automatically

so i haven't tested the 64 bit setting. I had to set the VRAM manually to get rid of the stuttering.

I use an oc gtx 780 with 3gb of VRAM.

After testing i can confirm that it sets the wrong VRAM for me and so causes heavy stuttering. Now i have also set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true but i don't really saw a change with this setting.

My working settings:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
VideoMemorySizeMb=9216
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Edited by Simondererste

• 2 months later...

Thanks! In fact, Im searching for an ENB really basic that don't add some extra graphical content to the game.

I just want to fix bad shadow & some tweak offer by ENB without extra modification to color & shaders. But all the ENB on Nexus are too big for me and kill my perfs.

All of the above asside, I think a point I made has been overlooked

I also tested ExpandSystemMemoryx64=false on two of our x64 bit machines

Which also performed far better using ENB binaries v0.217 and that setting as false.

Its not just about my low x86 machine.

Can anyone else corroborate something I have found experimenting with ENBoost ..

My machine Specs Minimum requirement for this game -

Win 7 x32, Core 2 duo 2.2 ghz, NVidia 8600m GS 512mb VRAM, 4gb system RAM

Three settings of interest are these ..

[MEMORY]

DisablePreloadToVRAM=true

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

VideoMemorySizeMb=0

I know by everything I have seen on these settings that I should set the last one to = VRAM on graphics card, and I saw the equation to raise it further.

However I find having it slightly less than the cards VRAM max works better for me.

On my machine, I get far better performance if I have them set ..

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

VideoMemorySizeMb=350

So the game still preloads, it has a cache of system ram to supplement VRAM, and the allocated VRAM setting for ENBoost is less than the graphics cards max ( the reason I tried this was that it didn't make sense to me letting ENB take charge of all the VRAM, if windows also needs a slice of that pie up to circa 150mb ) .. To my surprise it works well.

And something else to corroborate - But this time not necessarily for low end machines :

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false

Since starting to use this there has always been a slight lag which I could not explain, and my good fps would indicate I should not be 'feeling' any lag.

I just tried this setting as false .. And I am not ashamed to use the expression O M G

I could not believe the difference this made for performance. Not performance in statistics, but performance in the feel of the game, it feels as smooth as butter.

ENBoost for me has never been about stopping CTDs ( I dont get them ) - But it obviously stands to reason I should be getting better performance from using it ..

Now I do. Like I have never experienced before.

So shocked by the difference, I wondered if it would also make a difference on our desktop

Desktop = Win 7 x64 with 1024mb VRAM on a much better NVidia card and more capable CPU etc.

I set it to false on that machine and its running at a constant 60 FPS ( ie that machine is restricted by VSync to the screen refresh rate - And now the game is constantly hitting that ceiling, no dips ).

But forget the FPS, the difference in perceived performance is the same on that machine aswell.

Swing your mouse around with the mouse sensitivity set quite high so the world spins around you fast .. No slight pauses at all.

I think this was worth looking into after all, at the time I was using SSME method of implementing Shesons memory patch :

See Keith's post here https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4985-memory-blocks-log-by-sheson/page-2?do=findComment&comment=108728

Although a bit off topic for this thread, I think it's really important to share something I've just learned which will hopefully help a lot of people such as yourself, afonik.

hishutup has identified the reason why Skyrim crashes at startup for some people when the Block 1 allocation goes over a certain threshold (eg., over 512MB or 768MB).

This crash is directly related to the use of ENBoost, when ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true in enblocal.ini. If ExpandSystemMemoryX64 is set to false, then the Block 1 allocation can be set above 512MB, even above 1024MB without Skyrim crashing at startup, and without the need to set the Block 2 allocation to 512MB.

Based on hishutup's discovery, there should be no reason to set the Block 2 allocation higher than the default 256MB, as long as you have set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini. In fact, I think for anyone using the Sheson Memory Patch fix, the advice should be to set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false if they are also using ENBoost.

I have put this information as edits into my above post, just so anyone coming across it will see that as well.

I also want to note that setting ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini and setting ScrapHeapSizeMB back to the default value of 256 in skse.ini got rid of a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error I would get every time I tried to quit Skyrim.

Kudos and many thanks to hishtup for solving that particular mystery!

My bold

Mystery solved

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Hello. I followed the instructions in the guide, but does not work.

When you start SKSE, the game does not load.

I have no mods installed, only the DLC and the texture pack Betsheda.

Use the organizer mod and have the SSME and blocks Memory Log, installed as indicated in this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xAMUQc1oY

I am not able to find a solution. I tried with the injector version, but do not know how to install it.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or help. Thank you very much.

PS: Sorry if it is not well understood, my English is very basic.

Edited by Alastor

Ok... First SSME and Memory Blocks log are not the same as the ENBoost memory patch. You should not be using the SSME patch (if you're using the separate utility) if you're using the one in SKSE as they'll conflict which may be why skse doesn't load. Post back if you don't understand or if that's not what you were talking about. When in doubt try google translate to see if that helps you any.

It is a little hard to understand, but can not be used SSME and patch ENB Boost the same time?

I try to give more details:

This is what I have:

PG3a1mk.jpg

Scripts SKSE
Memory Blocks Log
Plugin consumo de memoria= SKSE.ini with these values

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

When I put these files in the folder skyrim:

IV82dp6.jpg

3FXKUEC.jpg

edit file values "enblocal.ini" as they say in the instructions in this guide https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

but when I start the game from the mod organizer SKSE

SKSE starts, but the game does not

I'm not sure, but SSME and ENBBoost are incompatible?

SSME and ENB work fine together but SSME is no longer needed because it is redundant as of the SKSE 1.7.1

All you need for the memory tweaks to function is having these values in the skse.ini 

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

SSME/Memory Patch 3.0/Memory tweaks mean the same thing but as I previously stated, "SSME is no longer needed"

Hope this helps some my spanish is really rusty.

El independiente SSME es redundante, ya que está incluido en el binario SKSE. Eliminar SSME y utilizar la versión incluida en SKSE. ENBoost y SKSE son compatibles. Tu SKSE.ini parece ser correcta.

Thank you very much for your help
So it is not necessary SSME?
It is enough to SKSE + SKSE.Ini?

I removed the SSME files Skyrim folder.
But the game does not start when I put "enblocal.ini", "enbhost.exe" and "d3d9.dll" on skyrim folder.

This can not be the problem.

For what it's worth, here is enblocal.ini values:

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=4096
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=10.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true

PC Features:

Intel Core I5-3330 3,20 Ghz

RAM 8GB

AMD Radeon 7700 2048 MB 

The Skyrim.ini and Skyrimpref.ini files are the same as:

Medium EWIs SkyrimPrefs and V09 inis not ENB.
There is a list of common problems?

Edit:

No it's worth but I detected something.

If SKSE run from the MO, the game immediately crash

If run SKSE from Skyrim folder, the game starts (the logo appears Betsheda and ENB Series), but does not load the main menu, the game crash.

Edited by Alastor