CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

Noticed there is even a 0.262 version for download now.

Could someone verify how to update to the newest version correctly?

I would save my old enblocal.ini then replace the three files with the new d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe and enblocal.ini.

Then I would copy&paste the changes/customisations from my old enblocal.ini to the new one.

Right?

I just overwrite the .dll and the .exe

If there are new options for enblocal.ini they will be added by ENB the first time it is run with the default for the new setting

So you can continue with your old settings, and after first run check it for any additional entries

If you want to test this, copy your enblocal.ini somewhere out of your skyrim setup, then delete half of the settings in the installed enblocal.ini file.

Run the game.

Afterwards you will find ENB has automatically written in the missing settings with all the defaults

It does the same for enbseries.ini for anyone who uses it.

262 does not have any new enblocal.ini settings. So it will continue using your previous settings quite happily.

I'm needing some confirmation on this:

v0.250: Changed ENBoost, now it support up to 128 Gb of memory or about 192 when compression enabled, may be this will be useful for the future. Don't forget to update ENBHOST.EXE file....

I'm assuming that 10240 (10GBs) is no longer the maximum supported value for VideoMemorySizeMb but rather now it's 131072 (128GBs) with this update. Is this assumption correct?

I'm needing some confirmation on this:

I'm assuming that 10240 (10GBs) is no longer the maximum supported value for VideoMemorySizeMb but rather now it's 131072 (128GBs) with this update. Is this assumption correct?

The answer is yes... and no.

That note is referring to a new limit of 128GB of system RAM, to be used by instances of enbhost.exe.

However, technically, the limit on the value you can use for VideoMemorySizeMb is 1048576 Mb - which is 1 Terabyte, which Boris confirmed when I asked about it.

In reality, though, I think it would be difficult to mod out Skyrim to get ENB to launch enough instances of enbhost.exe to fill up even 32GB of RAM.

The largest reported video memory stats while playing that I know of are from myself, on my "old" computer, which has 32GB system RAM, but only a 1GB card. With that setup, I saw it reported as high as 17GB (though I didn't see 3-4 instances of enbhost.exe running, and Boris stated that the value also shows Windows "shared" video memory.)

I've not tried using the AutodetectVideoMemorySize on my new rig (with 32GB RAM and 4GB GFX 760), so I guess I'll have to try that out to see what usage ENB reports in game.

Edited by keithinhanoi

since step requires  enboost should i change the skyrimprefs.ini file setting for "bFloatPointRenderTarget=0" to 1? or is that for extra enb's? sorry i read further so this post is explained in the enboost detailed instructions.

Edited by warace

The driver guide = https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector#tab=Advanced_Settings

at the waaaaaaaaaay bottom just aboveAO PERFORMANCE DATA.

excerpt: 

Vertical Sync Always enable v-sync, especially when using FPS limits and triple buffering. The only time this is not useful is when frame rates are consistently below the monitor refresh rate (i.e., older cards on newer games).  

The reason I ask is because, originally in the main STEP guide it says to let the driver handle image enhancements. So I thought the same would pose for ENBoost...

The driver guide = https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector#tab=Advanced_Settings

at the waaaaaaaaaay bottom just aboveAO PERFORMANCE DATA.

excerpt: 

Vertical Sync Always enable v-sync, especially when using FPS limits and triple buffering. The only time this is not useful is when frame rates are consistently below the monitor refresh rate (i.e., older cards on newer games).  

The reason I ask is because, originally in the main STEP guide it says to let the driver handle image enhancements. So I thought the same would pose for ENBoost...

Hmm... well, it is true that vsync should be on always with Skyrim, but that should probably say that vsync should on in at least one place. You can choose which place to use it. I prefer ipresentinterval=1 in skyrimprefs.ini, but others may like it from their driver or ENB. Just pick one and you'll be okay.

That was written long before ENBoost existed and EssArrBee is pretty much right. I added a notice to the page (this is another Guide that could use a bit of attention). It really shouldn't matter where it is enable as long as it is and it's not affecting your gaming experience. I believe Z did some testing with the various options, but I don't remember which he found to be the best. If it's not affecting your game then it's personal choice. This is no different than AF. I've found the driver's AF to be slightly better so I disable it in ENBs and use the driver. This also saves a few FPS not having the ENB rendering it.

• 1 month later...

Is ENBoost supposed to increase stability but decrease performance? Also, does FNV's ENBoost differ from Skyrim's?

The d3d9.dll will decrease performance no matter what part of ENB is turned on. The FNV version is still using an version of enboost I believe.