CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

I have a GTX 770 in a desktop.  Steam is installed outside of Program Files because I was having problems with it before.

Thanks for trying to help.  I actually figured out what the problem was.  I'm on Windows 8.1 and it doesn't install older versions of DirectX by default.  After installing the DirectX 9.0 runtime everything started to work like it was supposed to.  It gave me a huge headache until I figured it out.

Nevertheless, I'm getting very close to being ready to share the document explaining all the ENBoost memory performance features, which I'd like to call The Elder Boris Scrolls - ENBoost Demystified (tip of the hat to redirishlord / EProctor on that name).

Hi :) Did this get published? May we please have a link?

• 2 months later...

Maybe somebody can help me, maybe not.  I'm going through the S.T.E.P. installation process and trying to install the ENBoost files.  I've followed the directions at https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations are precisely as I can manage, but if I have the three files (d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini) in my Skyrim folder the game just will not start.  It crashes immediately without even getting to the initial logo screen.  If I remove the files, bam.  It boots right up.  I've tried different variations of settings in enblocal.ini, but can't get anything to work.  Here are the current contents of my enblocal.ini:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=0
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

If anybody has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated.  Thanks

I have the exact same problem, except I'm on Windows 7. I have a GTX 770. GeForce driver version 340.52. Steam is installed on a seperate SSD. Desktop PC. DirectX 11

I have tried several ini settings and it CTD every time. Any thoughts?

Doesnt matter because autodetect is set to true. The memory sectio in fact probably has nothing to do with crashing at startup. Did you set usespeedhackwithoutgraphics to true? Because you only installed the 3 files, enbseries.ini shouldn't be loaded otherwise you ctd because the necessary files aren't there.

Edited by Nearox

Are you running anything like precision X, rivertuner, or any other OC/monitor software. If you are then disable them, and then it should hopefully work. 

When ENB entirely fails to load up then it is almost always because some other program is being injected, or because of some safety setting in windows that prevents it. 

Yeah, I had to uninstall asus suite cause of it always giving me a "warning" that would not just warn me, but cut the performance of my gpu by alot. Worst of all, the only way to get the performance back, was to reboot the pc. It took skyrim for me to know what this was about, cause it always did the same crap for borderlands 2 whenever I injected smaa. And asus suite was a pain in the arse to get completely off my system. 

Yeah, I had to uninstall asus suite cause of it always giving me a "warning" that would not just warn me, but cut the performance of my gpu by alot.

This is not a good sign. I have an ASUS MoBo.

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out and report back soon.

Asus motherboards are good. Aisuite not so much.

Agreed, love my saberkitty, but I hate the conflicts that aisuite creates. Which imo is nothing more than a convenient way to adjust something w/o going into the bios and doing, in which, going through bios is the safest bet to begin with. The monitor's are nice, and I liked the thermal radar, but that was only thing I was really using it for. I did all of my adjustments for OC through bios cause of the better control, there OC profile utility in aisuite was a burden, windows would always go retarded anytime I tried to make adjustments through it. So yeah, point, forget about those utilities, they more often than not, wind up being more of a problem than they are worth, and needless to say, aisuite isn't the only utility that gives problems with "completely" uninstalling it.

Thanks for trying to help.  I actually figured out what the problem was.  I'm on Windows 8.1 and it doesn't install older versions of DirectX by default.  After installing the DirectX 9.0 runtime everything started to work like it was supposed to.  It gave me a huge headache until I figured it out.

This is what it was. Sorry for noob-yness.

Boris updated the TES binaries for anyone interested. Here's is comment from the news page:

10 august 2014

Published ENBSeries 0.261 for TES Skyrim. Added opacity parameters for volumetric fog (by request). Fixed bug with flickering ambient occlusion, image based lighting and subsurface scattering when using camera fly mode console command at some conditions. Clouds are not made in this version yet.

Noticed there is even a 0.262 version for download now.

Could someone verify how to update to the newest version correctly?

I would save my old enblocal.ini then replace the three files with the new d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe and enblocal.ini.

Then I would copy&paste the changes/customisations from my old enblocal.ini to the new one.

Right?