CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

It explains why after running with compression turned off my VRAM usage is at normal levels. Initially, in the first short test runs I did, it looked like usage was higher...but that's a very situational thing in Skyrim dependent on location and other factors. 

I've been running without compression for a while now and can say there's been no negative impact on stability or VRAM usage on my system. I can't remember for sure, but one of the better known ENB Preset authors recommended compression disabled for smoother game play, embarrassingly, I've forgotten who that was...

I can't remember for sure, but one of the better known ENB Preset authors recommended compression disabled for smoother game play, embarrassingly, I've forgotten who that was...

Could you be talking about ewi65 [E ENB Final Edition; Therion ENB Via Nocturna; etc.]?

I'd call the false-setting an improvement with my system; micro-stutters have decreased without any noticeable negative effect otherwise:

• Intel Xeon E3-1230
  • 8GB Crucial 1600MHz CL9
  • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
  • Radeon HD 7950 3GB

• Windows 7 64bit

I believe it might be referring to this link; https://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html

Unfortunately the link is dead. In any case, there are no mutiple versions of enblocal.ini, just configure the file manually. Here is a more in detailed guide; https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#tab=Installation

Thanks a lot, it is much more clear now. IMHO, guidelines about [MEMORY] section should be in https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations . As it looks now, it is very confusing.

Edited by Qwertyd456

To re-emphasize: the ENBlocal.ini needs to be tailored to the specific computer, but there are some general guidelines that will help you:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true  <----nearly everyone should have this set for true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true <----nearly everyone should have this set for true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false <----unless you have outdated/buggy video drivers, leave this false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false <----nearly everyone should have this set for false, improves loading screen times
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false <----nearly everyone should have this set for false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=XXX <------ I keep this at a relatively large setting 50% ~ 80% of my system's actual VRAM amount, the reserved static VRAM helps hand off the VRAM load more efficiently
VideoMemorySizeMb=0  <------- this setting doesn't matter if AutodetectVideoMemorySize is set to true
EnableCompression=false <------- this setting will depend on how your system handles the graphics load, for mine I set to false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true <------ definitely recommend setting this to true

The colored settings are ones you will need to determine for your computer, the other setting should be as universally fine as one can realistically expect.

There are exceptions to nearly everything in life, but I like learning the generalities first and pickup on the exceptions later. ::):

For reference, my computer, my system stats in signature:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=896
VideoMemorySizeMb=0
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

• +1 1

To re-emphasize: the ENBlocal.ini needs to be tailored to the specific computer, but there are some general guidelines that will help you:

[MEMORY]

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false <----unless you have outdated/buggy video drivers, leave this false

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false <----nearly everyone should have this set for false, improves loading screen times

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false <----nearly everyone should have this set for false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=XXX <------ I keep this at a relatively large setting 50% ~ 80% of my system's actual VRAM amount, the reserved static VRAM helps hand off the VRAM load more efficiently

VideoMemorySizeMb=0  <------- this setting doesn't matter if AutodetectVideoMemorySize is set to true

EnableCompression=false <------- this setting will depend on how your system handles the graphics load, for mine I set to false

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true <------ definitely recommend setting this to true

The colored settings are ones you will need to determine for your computer, the other setting should be as universally fine as one can realistically expect.

There are exceptions to nearly everything in life, but I like learning the generalities first and pickup on the exceptions later. ::):

[MEMORY]

ReservedMemorySizeMb=896

VideoMemorySizeMb=0

EnableCompression=false

Thx a LOT, this is the best info on the subject I was able to find. Just one more thing to ask: as I've understood from https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2290&start=30 , for cards with large amounts of VRAM (such as Titan), using ReservedMemorySizeMb over 512M doesn't make much sense. If you (or somebody else) could elaborate a bit on recommended values of ReservedMemorySizeMb for large cards - it would be great.

[MEMORY]

[MEMORY]

ReservedMemorySizeMb=896

VideoMemorySizeMb=0

EnableCompression=false

I was under the impression that reservedmemorysizemb should be set to either 256 or 512. Just for reference, I have 8gb of System Ram and 4gb of VRAM.

Thx a LOT, this is the best info on the subject I was able to find. Just one more thing to ask: as I've understood from https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2290&start=30 , for cards with large amounts of VRAM (such as Titan), using ReservedMemorySizeMb over 512M doesn't make much sense. If you (or somebody else) could elaborate a bit on recommended values of ReservedMemorySizeMb for large cards - it would be great.

Yes, if you are swimming in VRAM, a smaller amount is generally what people recommend.

Here's how I would explain it: This is mainly because unlike with lesser VRAM systems, your system has to juggle less stuff around via the GPU/PCIE pipes. My system needs a good "static" reserve amount to facilitate the constant "juggling" where as a system with large amounts of VRAM will be maintaining a lot more in active memory thus not needing to page it out as often. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to set it large, but best advice leans toward you using a smaller amount for reserved memory.

• +1 1

Yes, if you are swimming in VRAM, a smaller amount is generally what people recommend.

Here's how I would explain it: This is mainly because unlike with lesser VRAM systems, your system has to juggle less stuff around via the GPU/PCIE pipes. My system needs a good "static" reserve amount to facilitate the constant "juggling" where as a system with large amounts of VRAM will be maintaining a lot more in active memory thus not needing to page it out as often. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to set it large, but best advice leans toward you using a smaller amount for reserved memory.

So leaving it at 512 would be the best?

DoYouEvenModBro, on 29 Apr 2014 - 7:48 PM, said:

I was under the impression that reservedmemorysizemb should be set to either 256 or 512. Just for reference, I have 8gb of System Ram and 4gb of VRAM.

Boris has made some newer comments regarding ReservedMemorySizeMb, also in the recent binaries the ability to change this setting from inside the game via the ENB control panel is another indication that hints at the need to tailor it for your system.

I look at ReservedMemorySizeMb like one would a graphics data bucket brigade topping off a water tank that is supplying water for various users.

The larger the water tank, the less need you will have to constantly fill it.

The smaller the tank, the more likely you will need constant supply buckets to keep the tank reasonably filled.

Posted Image

• +1 1

DoYouEvenModBro, on 29 Apr 2014 - 8:31 PM, said:

So leaving it at 512 would be the best?

The impact that this setting will have with your system will be negligible as compared to the benefits it gives for those (like me) with far less VRAM. It isn't going to be wasted if you set it at 512 or anything.

The good news is that you can change this setting without ever exiting the game.

I'd probably leave it around 256 and no higher than 512. It's just not as crucial for your system because the ENB already has a lot of elbow room to work its magic, so nothing to fret over. ::P:

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe somebody can help me, maybe not.  I'm going through the S.T.E.P. installation process and trying to install the ENBoost files.  I've followed the directions at https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations are precisely as I can manage, but if I have the three files (d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini) in my Skyrim folder the game just will not start.  It crashes immediately without even getting to the initial logo screen.  If I remove the files, bam.  It boots right up.  I've tried different variations of settings in enblocal.ini, but can't get anything to work.  Here are the current contents of my enblocal.ini:

[MEMORY]
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=0
EnableCompression=false

If anybody has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated.  Thanks