CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

You can make all the general guidelines you want, people still need to adjust every setting for their own system.

If you find one of the parameters work nicely for you even though someone else says they should not then just too bad for them.

The main issue many people have is that its not just plug and play... they actually have to think and trial and error a little bit themselves, to learn what their own system requires, and can offer.

And that only goes as far as the current version, as soon as you update to another version all those features might not work for you anymore and you have to start all over.

You can make all the general guidelines you want, people still need to adjust every setting for their own system.

If you find one of the parameters work nicely for you even though someone else says they should not then just too bad for them.

The main issue many people have is that its not just plug and play... they actually have to think and trial and error a little bit themselves, to learn what their own system requires, and can offer.

And that only goes as far as the current version, as soon as you update to another version all those features might not work for you anymore and you have to start all over.
... and thus is the reason I can be of no help with Boris' handiwork. I am sort of just waiting around until he begins using integers in his versions :P

Oh that's good' date=' so we only have 683 versions until Z can lend a hand. So close...[/quote']

783 ;)

But seriously' date=' I am hoping that these are beta releases and that he will jump to v1.0 at some point when he is happy with his product.[/quote']

Yea he just released 0.218. I think I am just going to stick with 0.217 for now. That runs great on my machine and I'm incredibly afraid of messing it up. Hopefully he will pump out an official V0.3 or V1.0 or whatever by the end of the month or something.

v0.218 is more for testing out new SSS features that aren't ready for primetime yet. Other than that there is no reason to update, except for one little fix to distance objects, barely noticeable at the moment.

SSS will not really be worked out until there is _sk.dds textures for bodies made by someone that does it properly. It looks really weird in game with the current replacers. Either to white or to red if you ask me.

Oh that's good' date=' so we only have 683 versions until Z can lend a hand. So close...[/quote']

783 ;)

But seriously' date=' I am hoping that these are beta releases and that he will jump to v1.0 at some point when he is happy with his product.[/quote']

Agreed, so on topic has anyone noticed any performance increases from one version to the next?

There are so many version now that it is very hard to say. Pick two or three version and I can tell you what is going to change. As for the ENBoost part, I think Boris pretty much did all he could for the moment, and I haven't really had any major memory CTDs in a while. Now I just get them from trying to get corrupt saves going or trying to use to many scripted mods together.

I even saw some SPM logs of someone with about 1GB RAM usage and 5-6GB of their Titan's VRAM being used for like 2 hours. The ENBoost stuff is definitely better for high end systems though.

There are so many version now that it is very hard to say. Pick two or three version and I can tell you what is going to change. As for the ENBoost part, I think Boris pretty much did all he could for the moment, and I haven't really had any major memory CTDs in a while. Now I just get them from trying to get corrupt saves going or trying to use to many scripted mods together.

I even saw some SPM logs of someone with about 1GB RAM usage and 5-6GB of their Titan's VRAM being used for like 2 hours. The ENBoost stuff is definitely better for high end systems though.

I'm down to about one Freeze per hour, which is amazing for me. Probably from too many scripted mods. I CTD occasionally but barely ever.

v0.218 is more for testing out new SSS features that aren't ready for primetime yet. Other than that there is no reason to update, except for one little fix to distance objects, barely noticeable at the moment.

SSS will not really be worked out until there is _sk.dds textures for bodies made by someone that does it properly. It looks really weird in game with the current replacers. Either to white or to red if you ask me.

I've always wondered what the _sk maps are I only ever see them in the body texture sets. They are maps specifically for SSS? What does the sk stand for, and how do you properly make them? (I've never seen any generator output that looks similar to the sk maps, using crazybump and another map gen app I use)

• 1 month later...

I have a question about this guys.

My Setup:

Windows 7 64bit

Nvidia 1280mb

8gb system memory

Will increasing "VideoMemorySizeMb" allow me to use more of my System ram as video memory or does Windows already do that? If so would this extra memory allocation count against the skyrim ram usage limit?

Nvidia Control Panel says it can borrow 2815 mb of system memory for a total available graphics memory of 4095mb (1280 dedicated + 2815 shared).

So would VideoMemorySizeMb=4095 be good for me? Or would ENB borrow this extra memory from the same pool of memory dedicated to Skyrim pushing me closer to the 3.1gb limit?

I mean if Skyrim can only access 3.1gb of my system memory then I should have a bunch extra left over to use.

Thanks guys.

The first value you should try is always what you have in total VRAM.

If those values work out great for ya then keep them at that. If you still get instability or stuttering etc. then try to increase or lower the values depending on how much system RAM you have.

In general it is not a good idea to go high unless you have the system memory to back it up. And you ofc. also need higher values of VRAM.