CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

ENBoost is now built into ENB and is controlled through the enbloacal.ini. The [MEMORY] section is the basis of ENBoost and under [GLOBAL] the line UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics will turn on/off the graphics modifications while keeping the memory reducing features on.

Ah. It's turned on by default so that's good. Dang, I wish there was an easy way to learn more details about specific ENBs. Unreal Cinema has a lot of interesting options (Subpixel AA? Don't even know what that is!) but so hard to track down info about them.

I do know that the Edge AA still gives me some grief with certain objects (plates, bowls, fences, etc) and I get a weird FPS lag spiking effect in the Jorrvaskr Living Quarters. Still some kinks for me to figure out.

SubPixelAA in the enbseries.ini is for specular reflections. It makes standing stones look really nice. I did some touch up type stuff to the ENB guide, specifically the Installation, the ENB series INI, and ENB local INI sections. There's some good info in there. I'll start working on the sections with profiles latter today, after I go throw some knowledge into people brains.

Can someone explain what this means?

"Published 0.213 binaries.

copy of my message on the forum:

For debugging i play with filled vram and ram to make only 256 mb available for testing purposes and this is with installed official hd texture packs, flora overhaul, 92 mb textures only for my character android and recently started to use mesh replacer SMIM. Why these all work for me without CTDs and freezes when i run with player.setav speedmult 500 and maxed out everything in game video options? Some time i even have invisible parts of objects or only head of character visible and this is the case when unable to load texture in to video memory and my memory manager simply ignore it then, but this is very rare cases, mostly 256 mb vram is enough. Fix own issues yourself"

Seems like we all are so anxious for 'magic' to be a fact of life that we simply refuse to accept the reality that claims of memory 'optimizations' are just not true.

Am I missing something here that is fundamentally different from any other memory-opt 'tricks' as we discussed in great detail on this thread?

"Sweeping allocated RAM under the rug" does not make it disappear, right?

Torminater's results seem pretty instructive to me, and Uhuru's logic that ENBhost absorbs memory that would otherwise cause TESV process to hit its cap does not ring true.

As I have understood it then it is not comparable with the other "optimizers" since it is not an "optimizer". It is a rewrite of how skyrim handles memory allocation! Which you can apparently override using a .dll. I am not skilled enough to know the details, but from what I have done of research then it is not totally far fetched, since this .dll effectively goes in and replace how Skyrim communicates with resources though the DirectX API.

But the overall very vital difference is that this is ONLY for skyrim, not any other application! (Edit: Semi true, apparently there is also one for Fallout, but its more or less the same engine so kinda the same software. )

And it does work! Without it if I throw 2k textures in most of the exteriors then CTD. Have not had an issue with CTD´s since I found the right values for my machine. Heck I can even roll out higher ugrids where my comp would just insta CTD before.

Ofc. if you are one of the few who has a machine setup that for some strange reason just do not like the ENB .dll´s (I have a freind who has a computer that no matter what we do it will just CTD at start, so he can sadly not use it!) then it might seem a bit far fetched from your perspective.

Also from my testing of Memory use then I can now exceed 40% of my total memory used (16Gb total windows use about 2Gb). Before I knew it was a sure CTD everytime I crossed that. My current record is 55% of total memory used and still stable.

Currently the only sign of slowing down I have seen is that the game is a tad slower to load in textures if I move too fast around the world. But again no CTD... just random spawning of bandits if I run into a fort too fast!

Hello all.

There's been some very cool developments since I've been away, with this one, the stable uGrids project, and the distant animated lods (praise the Lord and pass the biscuits), being of particular interest to me.

On this one, and any potential similarity to the phoney optimizer apps we bored everyone about a while ago, I think this is a horse of very different colour. I haven't looked into the details of it yet, but seems to be a serious attempt at a proper solution, from a real programmer who has done some reverse engineering and modified specific DLLs used by Skyrim, to alter its memory management behaviour. By understanding the engine and DX, interjecting in the way this specific program runs, and altering the way memory is allocated and cached, then this seems plausible. If it works, also very impressive.

The ugrids stability project also looks promising, and, from having a quick look at it, may also have uncovered some fairly fundamental yet simple problems that could also be relevant to loading and stability in the default game.

All potentially very promising, I think.

Man... if Boris, Altimor, or someone else figures out how to stop or greatly reduce CTDs from running many mods at once, my life would be complete. I mean, they've arleady fixed the 3.1gb crash, the problems with uGrids, infinite loading screens... I seriously am thinking of reusing my old saves (which were full of crashes and infinte loading) just because of all the developments made to fix common issues with the game.

Bethesda should hire these guys, seriously.

Very true, they have joined forces over at the ENB forums talking about the weird voodoo magic that needs to be performed to solve the issues with threading.

I think Boris got a nice refreshing breath that there is someone else he can actually talk with on his level! At least its not like him to talk about the specific details in the forum. Was a bit worried about the whole thing when he got super annoyed with all the annoying nexus kids, who keep saying that they got CTD´s when they use ENB with god knows what else, and silly unoptimized mod lists etc. They basically all thought that memory was the only issue!

Couldn't agree more.  As you say, these sorts of advanced mods are an absolute honeypot for ignorant and bratty users who don't read instructions, expect a magic bullet for all things, and don't have a clue what they're shouting about.  I thought I was going to to have to chew one my own limbs off while trying to explain about the relatively simple hokum of memclean, and these guys are at a different level entirely.  I really hope they don't get burned out by the nonsense.  I don't think Boris will - he likes to blow off steam and speak his mind now and then, but I'd say he's too tough and attached to his work to be put off. 

It's great that these two are communicating well, and I think their work has the potential to lift major restrictions of the engine.  :yes: