Ultimate Lighting Overhaul

kuroyume87

:S Guys... I don't get it, really. Both here and on the mod's page on Nexus is a constant bashing at ULO cause "it's just a preset" and "people don't understand the different between this and an ENB (which is true, but aren't ENBs out there just presets as well, anyway?)". You may state it's not "bashing", but really, that's how it sounds. This objection of people "non understanding mechanics behind modding" is simply pointless, I am sorry. People who understand what Sweet FX is understand what ULO is all about. People who do not, instead, won't probably understand about anything else they download from nexus, so what's the point in complaining about it? As long as they appreciate the final effect and the performance gain, there's nothing to get so fussy about semantics. At least that's my opinion. I personally play with a laptop, and I had problems running Zoners high performance (the original version) which is arguably one of the lighter ENBs out there. No matter how much I love the way ENBs really IMPROVE the game, I can't enjoy both them and a fluent gameplay. I wish it wasn't like that, but it is, and that's when ULO makes it's appearance. You may all say what you want, but it makes a hell of a good job in improving the visuals of the game, and it's also highly adaptable and adjustable by the average end user, provided he is able to run notepad and do some image comparison. Which is NOT a bad thing. On the contrary. Not to say that from a "technical" and "stylistic" point of view, in my opinion it adheres to the basic STEP mandate much more than most ENBs on the Nexus. But ofc that's something we could discuss about for the years being :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuroyume:

It cooks down to the description is making it sound like this is doing the same as ENB or some other lighting overhaul is doing. And at a massive improved performance level. Which it is not. This is what people are a bit upset about. Add that the general presentation of it is "THIS vs THAT" instead of a "This mod/preset(whatever) offers the following"

If the description simply said in plain text that this was just a take on altering the visual appearance of the game via the SweetFX suite then all would be good, and it could still be called ULO etc.

There could also be a nice mention of why this is more performance friendly then ENB´s and why it would be perfect for people who play on older machines and laptops! But again that would just be what I would do. I admit that I laughed a bit when I read the description the first time and told myself that this would cause oh so many comment issues! :)

Also what you are saying about it being highly adaptable and adjustable by the average user.

Compared to what? If to ENB´s then no, since ENB is more adaptable and adjustable. By exactly the same means... notepad and image comparison.

In general that part of what you are saying is making little sense. At least to me.

Also about the performance of ENB´s... Oh so MANY people think that the performance is set in stone. Even the ones that can figure out how to enable and disable features do not know that each feature have options to reduce the performance cost! Also there is a massive difference between older versions of ENB and newer ones. Some people I read about still complain about the horrible performance they are getting in a pre v.119 ENB!

As for the part of it adhering to the STEP mandate more then most ENB´s. That would be true. But like I have said before. The only thing that would adhere to the STEP mandate would be an ENB with the original color correction enabled, and then AO and other effects enabled. Any alterations to the color correction is a violation of the STEP mandate. So in SweetFX´s case then you can use sharpening... and that is about it. But like you say that is a discussion for another time and place! :)

• 2 weeks later...

ULO+ has been released as a replacement for ULO Insane.

ULO+ cut out all the complex shaders from ENB and uses only the inate light and shadow enhancements, along with the tricks of ULO to create an amazingly low impact ENB preset.

ULO+ actually runs at a better FPS than ULO Insane. and can be found here:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38982/?

Also Updated ULO to version 1.3.2. Better balanced HDR settings for snow. Updated the description and removed the insane preset.

Lite: 2% GPU

High: 6% GPU

Ultra: 11% GPU

ULO+: 15% GPU

Insane: 16% GPU

Yeah I saw that. Looking good. I took the idea and ran with it, so to speak. I combined your sweetfx profile with the enb profile I use and it actually turned out pretty nice... The result was a little oversaturated but easily fixable (and of course not your fault :D )

I also learned something new from it.. That you don't need any of the enb fx/shader files if you want to only use shadows and ssao. For some reason I thought the effect.fx was required and if you didn't want any post process just set it to 0. Cool to know you only need the binary (and of course the ini) to run bare bones :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Can this mod be used with Mod Organizer? When I read the installation I have to install it directly into my skyrim folder? But I want to switch and compare it (use of vram) with RealVision ENB, so I want ULO to be turned on and off?

No. You copy in the files to the skyrim dir. MO does not do that.

If you want to compare then first start a game with Realvision and take a screenshot or walk around.

Then go out and move the d3d9.dll file from enb to the desktop and copy in the ULO SweetFX files, and run the game again.

No. You copy in the files to the skyrim dir. MO does not do that.

If you want to compare then first start a game with Realvision and take a screenshot or walk around.

Then go out and move the d3d9.dll file from enb to the desktop and copy in the ULO SweetFX files, and run the game again.

But you have to track what files those are, so you can delete them again if you don't like them.

you should definitely be using the powers of ENB Manager. It is a tool that will allow you to do this for any lighting/graphics mod that has some of its files in the main Skyrim directory. MO/Wrye Bash/NMM only install things into the Data directory, so are not suited for this. The ENB manager is intended for this. (well actually its original intent was to swap only ENB profiles, but you can use it to swap whatever you want really.. thats what I do. Its more of a "graphics mod" manager)

you should definitely be using the powers of ENB Manager. It is a tool that will allow you to do this for any lighting/graphics mod that has some of its files in the main Skyrim directory. MO/Wrye Bash/NMM only install things into the Data directory' date=' so are not suited for this. The ENB manager is intended for this. (well actually its original intent was to swap only ENB profiles, but you can use it to swap whatever you want really.. thats what I do. Its more of a "graphics mod" manager)[/quote']

Thanks. I already thought about that, I'm gonna try if I can set it up that way. So I can switch easy between RealVision and ULO.

Just do note that some users have reported some strange issue with ENB´s not working or displaying properly if using that program.... for god knows what reason! Since it after all just moves files around.

If you do experience anything weird then just do it manually.... it is not that difficult.