Larger after optimization?

Copywrite85

Question

I just spent days downloading Skyrim revisited (with minor tweaks).  But I can count the deviations from his original plan on one hand.  As far as I can tell I am no longer having CTDS due to mod conflicts (Neovalen is incredibly thorough and for the most part his instruction is clear).  But I am now having ram bursting CTDS and poor performance on a high end rig due to this issue.  I have come to the conclusion I must be using DDSOPT wrong...I feel like I've followed the instructions word for word; which is why Its so confusing.  I just checked the  orginal Hi res dlc #1 BSA and compared it to the extracted and optimized HRDLC1 opt folder I am using with my game...the HRDLC1 opt folder is much larger than the orginal BS by a whole gigabyte...HRDLC1 opt folder=2.5g while Hi res DLC.bsa=1.5g.  Does this sound normal to any of you guys?  Has anyone experienced problems like this in the past?  I should be able to correct my mess 100% by just optimizing everything again one by one and overwriting all the textures in my Mods organizer/mods folder right?  All tips appreciated, cheers.

Try to upload as a file or use a spoiler tag to keep it smaller, please.

Anyways, what I was getting at was the bottom of the log where there is a nice description that will tell you how many bytes + or - that there was after processing.

Dimensions       : 1024x1024 - 11 levels

notes:

Texture has been optimized before: skipped optimization.

Texture was optimized.

Final report "D:\skyrim realistic overhaul opt":

processed files: 1464

modified textures: 0

skipped textures: 0

fixed textures: 0

fixed files: 0

broken files: 0 (0 without fixed ones)

planar (1x1) textures: 0

changed texture formats: 0

i/o delta: -1298546 bytes

tex delta: 0 bytes

Please put that in a spoiler (the log I mean). Also when you are in DDSOpt you ARE changing the Constraints tab right?

Posted Image

The second 8192x8192 should be changed when you're optimizing textures. They should be 1024x1024 for 1k or 2048x2048 for 2k.

Please put that in a spoiler (the log I mean). Also when you are in DDSOpt you ARE changing the Constraints tab right?

Posted Image

The second 8192x8192 should be changed when you're optimizing textures. They should be 1024x1024 for 1k or 2048x2048 for 2k.

No I am not change my constraints, omg...I think weve found our culprit...I am going to give it a try!!!! :D  Ill let you guys know how it works.

Ok so I have set compressed resolution to 1024*1024.  I am now optimizing all the dds files from Mods Organizer/mods again.  Should take a very long time, but I will let you guys know how it works out tomorrow.  Cheers, I truly feel this is probably the reason nothing was actually being optimized lol...

Guys.  Problem solved :D  I optimized the entire folder.  Once it was extracted I removed water/patches/enhanced blood etc.  Looks the exact same, now my DRAM usage wont really get higher than 1800.  Its incredible really.  I ran around white run, jumped outside a few times, ran around solitude, windhelm and a couple of shops.  Not one texture glitch and 1800 was the ceiling.  I knew it was just a matter of me missing one small yet crucial step...and to think I was about to quit lol.  Now all I need to do is trouble shoot extremely long launch times from Mod Organizer and low fps.  Cheers guys.

I'm telling you optimizing the whole ModOrganizer folder at once you really should select just the landscape textures, etc and do them one by one. It's more time consuming but it messes up a lot less textures. Go post over in the DDSOpt guide thread there should be a link in the wiki article pointing to the forum thread ask which ones are safe.

Anyways just realized it was 3am here so I really need to get to bed hope someone else happens along to help you out.

If you have set the constraints to 1024 x 1024 then obviously you would solve most of your memory issues since this would both resize all textures into 1k resolution, and save them into DXT5 compression. Assuming you used the default recommended settings.