Vanilla at its best by Hexaae

rootsrat

It would take too long to explain what gamma is. If you really want to know then the wiki entry is decent on the topic.

Most of the time you do not need to ever alter it since the game should have values so that the image displayed on your monitor is neither too dark or too bright. So in general unless you have a good reason to alter it, then just leave it alone. If you want a brighter or darker image just use the ingame brightness setting instead.

Or if you really need to alter it then do it in your video cards control panel. It comes down to your monitor.

More of an ENB specific question then this mod... but here goes anyways.

Most modern ENB presets have DNI seperation (Day/Night/Interior) on all values. If you open the enbeffect.fx file.

Then depending on which preset you are using then search for the following.

EBrightnessV2Day (The V2 might be V1, V3 etc. depending on how many post process variations your file has. The pure ENB one has 4)

Then just increase this value ever so slightly and voila.

However this requires an enbeffect.fx that has this feature implemented. They normally say in the description if they do. However I know that many ENB presets just use the default file from Boris, which does not have it as standard. If not just find one that does and copy in the numeric values into the file and use the correct post process (at the start you define which post process number you are using.) and let that file overwrite the one your are currently using.

If you need more help, just throw me a pm so we do not clutter this thread too much.

I tried this ini tweak, and I liked it. However, no tint and desaturation is similar without any performance impact either.

Now just slightly off-topic:

Personally I am addicted to Immersive envrionment. I have tried everything. I love RLO, but I just cannot do without Immersive Environment, and those together become too dark (you can probably fiddle with this, but as a perfectionist it would take me way too much time).

So what I have now, for those who are interested to give it a try, is:

CoT darker nights 1, skyrealism vanilla enb v0.153 (optional, just for SSAO, shadows and skylight), Immersive envrionment and Relighting Skyrim. Then, if you use the enb up the brightness a little (not needed without the enb, but this is of course personal) This IMHO looks best of all I tested (ELFX, RCRN (3.6 and AE beta), RLO, CoT, no tint, Vanilla at its best and all possible combinations thereof, with and without enb)

Without the enb, I do not take even the slightest of performance hit (2500K and 6950 2GB). Installing and uninstalling immersive environment is so simple, I urge everyone to just give it a try, make sure to use pause button to see the actual difference in-game. I used it since version 1.3 and have yet to find a better lighting/color/atmosphere solution.

I will post some screens when I am up for it. Reinstalling everything at the moment, so that should be possible soon.

Hey Salvador, I'm also in the process of looking for a good lighting solution, and would definitely love to see some screens of the one you have suggested. Also, since my Rig is not that powerful, do you think that skipping the Enb would result in a much worse visual experience? Thanks a lot!

Hey Salvador' date=' I'm also in the process of looking for a good lighting solution, and would definitely love to see some screens of the one you have suggested. Also, since my Rig is not that powerful, do you think that skipping the Enb would result in a much worse visual experience? Thanks a lot![/quote']

Hey kuroyume87,

Yes, you would still have a good result without the enb. I use the enb only for the SSAO, skylight and detailed shadows. I have changed to the 0.157 enb and have tweaked it myself for the effects with a reduced performance impact compared to Skyrealism. I can give you a few screens when I have the time (later today or tomorrow), on vanilla skyrim. But Immersive environment is so simple to install and use, I suggest you give it a try yourself. copy the files to your skyrim folder (only 4). start skyrim and press pause/break button to toggle on/off so you see the difference in game as well as performance impact. You can just remove the files if you don't like it. No negative effect on saves or any mod conflicts. Only conflicts with SMAA injector.

You can use the imaginator if you want more colour without performance impact. I like the warm northern light preset.

Edit: Have you used and seen CoT before? I'll post some screens tomorrow with CoT and Relighting Skyrim, you might prefer ELFX instead of relighting skyrim though, that is a personal preference... Relighting Skyrim is more true to vanilla Skyrim and less performance intensive.

Hi Salvador, thanks for the suggestions. I have to admit I've never given a try to CoT before. Last time I played skyrim it still had compatibility issues with some of the mods I liked. Now, however, I see no reason not to give it a go. Just downloaded and will test it asap. Just one questions, what are your anti AA settings? also do you activate FXAA on the game options?

PS tried out immersive environment and I really like it. I think I'll stick to it from now on. It does seem to barely hit my performance, maybe 2 or 3 fps, but I'm not even sure it's its fault...

Hi Salvador, thanks for the suggestions. I have to admit I've never given a try to CoT before. Last time I played skyrim it still had compatibility issues with some of the mods I liked. Now, however, I see no reason not to give it a go. Just downloaded and will test it asap. Just one questions, what are your anti AA settings? also do you activate FXAA on the game options?

PS tried out immersive environment and I really like it. I think I'll stick to it from now on. It does seem to barely hit my performance, maybe 2 or 3 fps, but I'm not even sure it's its fault...

Hi Kuroyume,

Apologies for my late reply. I still promised to make screens, you still want some? Or anyone else?

Glad you like it! Performance wise it has a very small impact. Just test with pause/break button. If FPS goes up it is Immersive environment stealing 2 or 3 FPS.

As I am using ENB I use its integrated EdgeAA which has no performance impact. But ofcourse the rest of the ENB mod has a lot of performance impact. I might stop using it, it was only for the effects anyways (even on barely modded Skyrim I sometimes go down to 30 fps...). Before I used ENB, I forced 8x MSAA through the driver (AMD) and set in the ini to 8x as well. Don't know what is best. Performance wise, setting it in ini and than set in CCC to improve game AA instead of overwrite gave best performance.

I use FXAA, looks ugly without Immersive environment, but in combination works quite nicely, just smooths the edges a little.

I am sure you will like CoT. I do not use any of the dungeon or interior parts though. I do use darker nights 1. You can go darker if you prefer. I like some visibility but not too much, it gives you the feeling it really is night.