Landscape pop in and other oddities

phazer11

Question

Hey all I think I'm at the very least on the trail of or have fixed my external cell freezes (*knocks on wood*). Now I believe my VRAM is still good but I'll have to run Performance Monitor to confirm.

While trying to get my game to freeze outside I had several stutters and I was able to tell they were caused by textures popping in. I'm using Skyrim Revisited (minus anything that requires the DLCs) but wanted to post here as I think it's ini settings that need fixing.

I've made an Album on Photobucket to hold the screenshots so this doesn't get too cluttered up.

Pop In

My INI Files are attached below.

INI Files June 13 2013.7z

You know what I'm thinking? Skyrim's engine has some oddities on it's own. Anything adding items, giving items Full-LOD, raising size of textures and meshes will affect how detailed the mid-distance will be.

I think that uGrids 5 will work for vanilla skyrim perfectly. Many users reported that with only vanilla assets they don't really notice the pop-ins, but I think it IS really less! As soon as they throw in mods, the pop-ins are more abprubtly/less smooth and "later" which means closer to the char, since the data amount of the uGrids is already filled up with all the extra LODs and highres textures nearby. To get the same "feeling" like in vanilla skyrim you'ld need to raise your ugrids, but this will make your game (modded of course) unplayable.

Hey all I think I'm at the very least on the trail of or have fixed my external cell freezes (*knocks on wood*). Now I believe my VRAM is still good but I'll have to run Performance Monitor to confirm.

While trying to get my game to freeze outside I had several stutters and I was able to tell they were caused by textures popping in. I'm using Skyrim Revisited (minus anything that requires the DLCs) but wanted to post here as I think it's ini settings that need fixing.

I've made an Album on Photobucket to hold the screenshots so this doesn't get too cluttered up.

Pop In

My INI Files are attached below.

Usually when I see outdoor textures popping in such as landscapes and trees, it means that my game is about to crash due to a RAM limitation :-/. 

Phazer, once you eliminate all your outdoor RAM crashes, can you make a list of steps and reductions you took to stay below the RAM limit?

The trees LOD issue most likely is because you got the wrong version of SFO. It is very touchy about the LOD texture used!

As for textures popping in in general. Most likely it is due to mip map levels being wrong for the texture. But some textures the game engine just hates and they will pop in regardless, nothing to really do about it.

Alright I'll try switching back to the Skyrim Revisited Recommended version of SFO I switched to the newest one to see if it helped. I'm using the LOD from your ENB Aiyen.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the abrupt drop off of vegetation in this image? It's a draw distance I know but which is it and how much to change it by.

Posted Image

So I can't fix it to where the grass won't drop off like that? If not that will be quite bothersome. Also in some of the images if you look at the waterfalls they look frozen.

Also if you had to list the mods in order of potentially stutter causing what would be your list. I imagine Frostfall and Realistic Needs would be up there.

The frozen waterfalls is an issue as old as the game itself, and it cannot be solved sadly. (at least to my knowledge)

The game has an LOD texture for the waterfalls, and after a certain distance it will enable it. There have been found no way to change this distance other then altering the ugrids... which is not an option.

The grass issue has been around since oblivion. There is a set distance where there just is a hard cutoff. It is very noticeable in flat areas, but I find that after playing for a while you stop noticing it. The only way to alter it is to increase the grass rendering distance, which will affect your performance.

Yeah - the static waterfalls really bugged me and I looked into it (so did SparrowPrince, ages ago). It seems that the engine simply cannot deal with animated LODs, and no modder, to my knowledge, has ever figured out a way around this. Hard limitations of an ancient engine.

Yeah it also sucks that uGrids cause instability higher than base.

Just so everyone has a visual this is the texture I'm looking for.

This firepit is on the river near Anga's Mill near Windhelm in the Pale. I noticed another like it in Rorikstead. Oddly enough I guess Frostfall has it's own set of firepit textures as they are not missing textures.

Posted Image

yes, it's a crying shame that ugrids can't be scaled up. A half decent rig can clearly handle the performance demand. I tried extensively to see if I could make it work, and I can get it be very stable for long periods, but one way or another, it gets you in the end.

Aiyen (he's so helpful) was able to go into the creation kit and find the texture id it's from SRO apparently. I tried to use the Creation Kit but it kept crashing when I tried to open World-> regions

Also I now own a shiny disc of the Legendary Edition