How to force cell buffer purge during cell transition

exploiteddna

Question

Hey there,

So Ive been struggling with a problem recently pertaining to entering the dark brotherhood sanctuary.  The problem is, when I am in the open worldspace surrounding the outside of the DB sanctuary, my mem usage tends to hover around 2200 - 2500mb.  When I then attempt to enter the sanctuary, there is no purging of the cell buffer and the game attempts to load the DB sanctuary interior on top of the 2.2-2.5gb already loaded from the exterior, I quickly shoot up to 3.3gb and freeze/crash.

Ive found really the only way to get in 100% of the time is to  enter a small interior like Gray Pine Goods, run PCB in console to clear out any excess which drops my mem use down to like 1.1gb, then i just 'coc' into the db sanctuary from there and im good to go.

Originally I thought I could just run the PCB console command right before i enter the sanctuary, but I have and it simply doesnt help any.. even with the cell buffer empty im still sitting at ~2.4gb on the exterior... unfortunately it cant purge the cell im standing in lol.  

Ive also tried to reduce my mem usage both for the interior and exterior.  I was successful in dropping mem usage a little, but not enough to prevent maxing out while entering.

So here's my thought.. 

Many times in the game when you enter into a relatively large interior, the game will completely flush any exterior data, dropping your memory usage down to like 300mb, then load the new interior so that the only thing in memory is the interior cell(s) you are now standing in. This type of process occurs when you EXIT the db sanctuary and load the tamriel worldspace again, but it does not happen on the way in. I need this to happen on the way in.  There must be some flag or something i can do in CK to signal to the game it needs to behanve this way when entering the db sanctuary from tanriel world.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

2 answers to this question

Every time you make a transition from interior to exterior, or city the game should flush out at least some stuff. (How much and how it is done is a mystery to us since we cannot access the game engine details.)

The most thorough flush is to save your game and quit to menu and reload. This forces the game only to load in the required stuff in the cells you are currently in, and script information related to currently active quests etc.

Every time you make a transition from interior to exterior, or city the game should flush out at least some stuff. (How much and how it is done is a mystery to us since we cannot access the game engine details.)

The most thorough flush is to save your game and quit to menu and reload. This forces the game only to load in the required stuff in the cells you are currently in, and script information related to currently active quests etc.

ok. well i guess them im stuck with trying to decrease memory load for the db sanctuary interior as well as the pine forest exterior cells surrounding the entrance.  that being said, im clueless as to what else i can do to decrease it. The interior is built with nordic ruins stuff so i have completely optimized and reduced texture size of all my nordic ruins textures.  Ive disabled all of the interior fog. Ive switched my pine forest tree textures to lower res versions and cut the resolution of the normal maps to half of the diffuse maps.  Ive tried uninstalling lush overhaul but that had little effect in this situation.  I looked into using Skyrim Project Optimization mod to reduce the interior load, but it seems that mod hasn't even touched the db sanctuary. I suppose I could use the assets from the mod and hand place the occlusion planes myself, but thats something i was really hoping to avoid if theres another alternative.

All things considered, Im sure there are plenty of people running the same mods as I am not having any issue with this so im struggling to see what makes my situation unique. Im running a 4 core cpu and have plenty of gpu power, so i know thats not a factor. Suppose Ill just keep troubleshooting the best I can, maybe ill stumble into something.