ATI GPU Clarification

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

Hi All,

Sorry if this was answered but I am still very confused regarding ATI cards and forcing AA and AF. For some reason I am seeing conflicting instructions.  Am I supposed to be mirroring AA/AF in CCC as well as Skyrim launcher or do I just want to set in Skyrim Launcher and leave CCC AA/AF as "let application decide"?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you think you've got bad VRAM try running the Video Memory Stress Test to make sure that it's the case.

FurMark is another good gfx card stress testing tool.

Furmark doesn't really stress memory at all so I wouldn't consider that a good test for VRAM.

Oh? I wasn't aware of that... Is it more for clocks testing then?

I believe it is more for testing for temperature related problems and core clock, yea. I tried the Video Memory Stress Test that William mentioned above but I can't get it to stress my full 3gb of vram.

Apologies for confusing the matter then! Should have really read up about the tool before recommending...

No worries at all. It's hard to find stress testers that really stress your full vram. I usually use Furmark/Heaven/3dmark11 to test for stability but I think those all test for overheating and not really memory so I"m not sure what to do for memory. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess the best test is really just games.

How did you come up with the idea that it was bad video memory causing the artifacts?

Well I was getting graphical artifacts from time to time in skyrim and the problem wouldn't go away unless I restarted my computer. My card also overclocked pretty horribly and I was unable to hit the overclocks that many other users were able to get with the same card (7970 ghz) so I RMAd it. Also one of the fans was making a grinding sound. I had to RMA it anyway so it doesn't really matter at this point lol. I'm waiting for the new card to come in. Should take another week.