Anneal

Eckhart90

Question

Hi, I had a little misunderstanding with Wrye Bash while trying to install STEP. :whistling:

Well, I installed HD2K, SHD (both DDsopted) and some other things with NMM and then went with Wrye Bash to install the majority of other mods.

Most of the mods that I previously installed with NMM had yellow background in WB...I've selected "Anneal" and then something about STD (my archive containing vanilla textures) appears.

I've found in game that newer textures are overriden by the Vanilla ones (which are contained in STD)!

Is there a way to safely undo "Anneal" without create conflicts with other mods (e.g. if I simply re-install HD2K it'll overwrite a lot of other mods and I don't want this to happen).

Is there a way to order graphical mods (not just ESPs) with WB?

I don't want to mess up everything for this misunderstanding...Hope you understand.

Sorry for my english and have a nice day!

:)

The package order of the mods will be how to order them. So make sure that the STD textures have a lower number than HD2K and SHD. In addition, use Anneal All. It's basically the same function as Anneal, but it applies it for all of your mods, instead of just the one you selected.

The package order of the mods will be how to order them. So make sure that the STD textures have a lower number than HD2K and SHD. In addition use Anneal All. It's basically the same function as Anneal, but it applies it for all of your mods, instead of just the one you selected.

So higher number overrides the lower one, right?

The problem is I've installed HD2K and SHD with NMM...Do I have to re-install them with Wrye, order them and finally 'Anneal All'?

Still isn't clear to me what 'Anneal' really does.

And how can I order mods that don't have ESPs, like texture packs? In the Installer Tabs?

Thank you. :)

Yeah, a higher number overrides the lower one. So say that the STD textures are number 1, and HD2K is 2, and SHD is 3. SHD would override the textures in HD2K, which would override the textures in SHD, if that makes sense.

And I would advise to reinstall the mods through the Wrye Installers Tab, yeah. If you install them all in the right order, you shouldn't need to run Anneal All, at least until you update/move mods.

Anneal basically grabs the files that are different from the installed ones from the zip/rar/7zip/whatever the files for the mod are in, and then puts them into the Data directory. It should automatically make sure that higher mods override anything they need to, but I normally use Anneal All instead of just Anneal to be on the safe side.

Yeah, a higher number overrides the lower one. So say that the STD textures are number 1, and HD2K is 2, and SHD is 3. SHD would override the textures in HD2K, which would override the textures in SHD, if that makes sense.

And I would advise to reinstall the mods through the Wrye Installers Tab, yeah. If you install them all in the right order, you shouldn't need to run Anneal All, at least until you update/move mods.

Anneal basically grabs the files that are different from the installed ones from the zip/rar/7zip/whatever the files for the mod are in, and then puts them into the Data directory. It should automatically make sure that higher mods override anything they need to, but I normally use Anneal All instead of just Anneal to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the help. :)

However I decided to re-install Vanilla and use only WB as mod manager.

Basically the order thing in Installer Tab works like ESPs order in Mod Tab, isn't it? Higher archive overrides lower one, so if I want to use STD instead of SHD at some point during my gameplay it's just a matter of changing its priority in the list?

Thank you for the help. :)

However I decided to re-install Vanilla and use only WB as mod manager.

Basically the order thing in Installer Tab works like ESPs order in Mod Tab, isn't it? Higher archive overrides lower one, so if I want to use STD instead of SHD at some point during my gameplay it's just a matter of changing its priority in the list?

Yes, mod are prioritised by their order in the installers tab. But the BSA/loose files rule still applies.

Yes mod are prioritised by their order in the installers tab. But the BSA/loose files rule still applies.

Sorry what do you mean by BSA/loose files rule?

The game loads its native files first. Then go the files packed in BSAs and referenced by EPSs (plugins). Everything is overwritten by loose files in Data (folders such as textures/meshes/sounds).

This is why with a number of mods you have to pay close attention to what you install. There are more reasons for unpacking the BSAs such as faster loading times, lesser chance of incompatibility issues and a clear view of what overwrites what in a mod manager.

I agree with phazer11.

Running Mod Organizer with the NCC 2.0 optional, you have the NMM function of fomod installers and download directly from the nexus, since it can handle the .nxm links.

Using Wrye Bash as an executable to benefit from the Batched Patch is a no brainer.

I think that will be the last installatio of Skyrim I do in my life :dance: so I'll just use WB and manually download the few selected mods that I want.

I've always used to have 200+ ESPs with 2K+ texture mods that bring my PC on his knees or, worst, to CTD or freeze.

Yes, maybe I'll still use NMM or, like you said, MO to download mods from Nexus. Ah, btw, is it possible to share NMM download folder with WB?

Thanks.

It should be possible yes. But I advise against it since you will most likely edit quite a few packages yourself.

Okay, I'll just drag and drop mods from NMM directory to WB if I need to. :thumbsup:

By the way, can I use 2K textures (sort of Extreme STEP configuration but with only core mods) with a setup like this?

- ASUS GTX 670 2GB VRAM (OCed)

- i5 3570k @4,2 GHz

I'm planning to use a performance ENB too, just because I hate the dull palette of vanilla Skyrim.

Finally, in your opinion, is it better to install HD2K and overwrite it with SHD (like STEP does) or use the 'Required' only setup from TPC (HD2K, SHD, SRO)?

You should be able to use high resolution textures from all the big packs, assuming you don't game at a higher resolution than 1920x1200 and don't use SuperSampling. ENB doesn't use significantly more VRAM, but it will cripple the fps on almost any config, since its optimisation is at best questionable. You'll probably have to fiddle around with effects to get optimal performance.

Personally, I don't really like the Skyrim HD 2K Textures, so I don't install them. It seems like a waste to download 1-2GB of textures for a selected few. I've never been a fan of Serious HD retextures either. The TPC is slightly outdated, but I guess you could get away with using the combo, since I think it supports most of the big texture packs as it is.

You should be able to use high resolution textures from all the big packs, assuming you don't game at a higher resolution than 1920x1200 and don't use SuperSampling. ENB doesn't use significantly more VRAM, but it will cripple the fps on almost any config, since its optimisation is at best questionable. You'll probably have to fiddle around with effects to get optimal performance.

Personally, I don't really like the Skyrim HD 2K Textures, so I don't install them. It seems like a waste to download 1-2GB of textures for a selected few. I've never been a fan of Serious HD retextures either. The TPC is slightly outdated, but I guess you could get away with using the combo, since I think it supports most of the big texture packs as it is.

Nice, I'll use TPC for now, if I see that VRAM is crippled by the resolution of textures maybe I'll install lite versions of HD2K and SHD.

1) I have another little problem with Wrye Bash Package Installation: I've downloaded all the core mods (and some other) listed in STEP guide and ordered them like Wrye Bash Guide for STEP says.

When I check if there are conflicts etc. nothing appears in the Package Details (General, Conflicts, ecc.), although Show Inactive Conflict is ticked. Is it normal? SOLVED: lol, just using WB windowed; Packaged Details were overriden by Comments tab. Sorry, I'm literally a noob. :facepalm:

2) When I install a patch (like the Multi-Mod Compatibility Patch for Weapon and Armor Fixes), do I have to move it after the last mod that the forementioned patch changes (in this case Guard Dialogue Overhaul)?