v2.2.7 Development

z929669

UPDATE:

Just updated this thread to reflect our new interim release goal in order to define STEP:Core and begin work on STEP:Extended.

STEP:Core is basically final and is represented by only installing mods marked as "Core" in the STEP Guide. We are gathering screens of this base install now and verifying that it includes everything necessary but nothing more than that --all according to the new STEP:Core Mandate. Anyone that has not yet read that, please do so to better understand the direction we are heading.

The 2.2.7 release will bring us even closer to the 2.3.0 goal by focusing on refining the non-Core mods in the in the current guide. These non-Core mods will ultimately formulate the basis for STEP:Extended, and this means that we can begin testing mods for 2.2.7, 2.2.8 and 2.2.9 according to the STEP:Extended Mandate, which opens up the door to new possibilities.

This is now the "2.2.7 interim-2.3.0 release" The "rules" are somewhat relaxed, so we are open to more suggestions; however, we'll not likely be doing anything too drastic with the non-Core mods of the guide.

Please post here though if you have suggestions or comments on the existing guide and mod list. I will begin an overhaul of the development guide ... NOW.

v2.2.7 ChangeLog

For replacers, the test case should be a high-quality screenshot compare. We don't need a lot, just two or three sets of compares on the thread in Mod Suggestions (MS) marked [ TESTING ].

For non-replacers, please head over to MS and read the Announcement. Then go into the testing thread and contribute some test ideas or some of your own test results.

The idea is that testing --and logging of that activity on the threads-- will be touch & go for a lot of mods, and it should be pretty clear by anyone stumbling upon any mod thread what the end result is.

Let us know if you want to be a Mod Tester!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats for the 2.2.6 release and the plans for 2.3.0, I totally agree with the decision made!

Since i'm now using a "core" STEP installation for my playthrough on the weak netbook, i can return to actively help in the development.

Here some points about the v2.3 Core STEP i'd like to share:

-It should put emphasis on fixes.

-It should only sligthely enhance graphics, without overhauling textures, only "fixing" the most incosistent ones. It should basically try to keep the default texture size, quality and nature.

-It should contain only minor gameplay changes (most Arthmoor mods are fine, for instace), avoiding mods adding scripts and mods adding new features.

-It should always avoid mods potentially unsafe, for any reason and despite any great feature they deliver.

-It should prevent incompatibilities by forging ad-hoc compatibility patches just for users who want to stick with the Core installation (this will also give us files to throw in the Nexus page, i can support them easily).

-It should always avoid adding new esps, trying to evaluate if the feature added is worth the added Esp; fixes are always worth an Esp, though.

I've already prepared something like a potential v2.3 Core STEP, and i would be glad to share it with you in the upcoming days, so we can start the brainstorm.

Congrats for the 2.2.6 release and the plans for 2.3.0, I totally agree with the decision made!

Since i'm now using a "core" STEP installation for my playthrough on the weak netbook, i can return to actively help in the development.

Here some points about the core STEP i'd like to share:

-It should put enphasis on fixes.

-It should only sligthely enhance graphics, without overhauling textures, only "fixing" the most incosistent ones. It should basically try to keep the default texture sizes.

-It should contain only minor gameplay changes, avoiding mods adding scripts and mods adding new features.

-It should prevent incompatibilities by forging ad-hoc compatibility patches just for users who want to stick with the Core installation.

-It should always avoid adding new esps, trying to evaluate if the feature added is worth the added Esp; fixes are always worth an Esp, though.

I've already prepared something like a potential v2.3 Core STEP, and i would be glad to share it with you in the upcoming days, so we can start the brainstorm.

Basically, the plan is to enhance textures according to the HRDLC texture sizes (so as not to revert to console quality :sick: ). The graphic enhancements will still be very noticeable, but we will limit texture overhauls to the 1k options. Due to what we have learned about the working set RAM limitations and the fact that DX9 mirrors VRAM into RAM, nobody can afford the cost of the large outdoor texture packages 2k and above unless significant sacrifices are made (i.e., reduced actor and clutter textures and no SFO). Indoor/dungeon textures are not a problem though. Only those used in high frequency/cell outoors are a real problem.

Brainstorm already started in the Admin thread (see "Core STEP mods not in SR" thread and cast your votes on the wiki).

A possible packs list:

-Core STEP: read prev post

-Visual Pack: better textures (vurts, HD stuff etc), advanced graphic effects (footprints), immersion effects (Birds, distant detail etc), advanced UI visual mods (Skills interface, loading screens, spinning emblem)

-Weather/ENB Pack:

-Basic Gameplay Pack: improved overall gameplay (wet & cold, convenient horses etc)

-Advanced Gameplay Pack: overhaul mods and mods designed to work with them (SkyRe, Dual etc)

-Realism pack: hunger, thirst, sleep etc)

-Other (?)

Here some points about the core STEP i'd like to share:

-It should put enphasis on fixes.

-It should only sligthely enhance graphics, without overhauling textures, only "fixing" the most incosistent ones. It should basically try to keep the default texture sizes.

-It should contain only minor gameplay changes, avoiding mods adding scripts and mods adding new features.

-It should prevent incompatibilities by forging ad-hoc compatibility patches just for users who want to stick with the Core installation.

Basically, the plan is to enhance textures according to the HRDLC texture sizes (so as not to revert to console quality :sick: ). The graphic enhancements will still be very noticeable, but we will limit texture overhauls to the 1k options. Due to what we have learned about the working set RAM limitations and the fact that DX9 mirrors VRAM into RAM, nobody can afford the cost of the large outdoor texture packages 2k and above unless significant sacrifices are made (i.e., reduced actor and clutter textures and no SFO). Indoor/dungeon textures are not a problem though. Only those used in high frequency/cell outoors are a real problem.

Brainstorm already started in the Admin thread (see "Core STEP mods not in SR" thread and cast your votes on the wiki).

Yep, i was referring to HDDLCs quality, not console :P

EDIT: btw, i'm in love with the new Wiki brainstorming method, so just ignore my previous suggestions. See you there.

Hey,

I pm'd MontyMM offering some help and started snooping around. Setting up a testbed to start mod testing.

I noticed this thread is quiet empty, different from the other releases.

I searched on the wiki and found the brain-storm page you talked about, but I don't know exactly how to help here.

If you can provide me with some insight, thanks. :)

Hey,

I pm'd MontyMM offering some help and started snooping around. Setting up a testbed to start mod testing.

I searched on the wiki and found the brain-storm page you talked about, but I don't know exactly how to help here.

Hello Freyrgjurd!

Your help is highly appreciated, we're brainstorming about the next release on our private administrative forum / wiki, but we'll start to use the public post (this one) soon.

Now, since you're available for mod testing, i got some mods to test :D

here's the list and whan we need to know:

I throw some mods suggestions for inclusion in Core STEP list for voting, i use them myself and consider them some of my core mods:

LvlPredatorScript bugfix - is it really a fix, does it work?

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/985247-bugfix-for-lvlpredatorscript-errors-no-more-log-spam/

UUSkyPP Dragon Bridge Horse Marker Fix - is it really a fix, does it work?

https://www.darkcreations.org/forums/files/file/644-uuskypp-dragon-bridge-carriagehorsemap-marker-fix/

Multiple Lycanthropy Regift - do you feel this mod is a vanilla-friendly addition?

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23421//?

1. LvlPredatorScript bugfix

As stated by the creator:

My lvlpredatorscript "fix" is basically a hack and not suitable for USKP. It's meant only for those that are experiencing major issues with their game, so people can try it out and report the results. In theory lvlpredatorscript should be harmless (I've preached this myself many times) but sometimes theory is wrong This is one way to find out...

Source:https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/985247-bugfix-for-lvlpredatorscript-errors-no-more-log-spam/page-3&do=findComment&comment=8209733

I had ONE script error with this and went crazy a while back. Thought was the culprit for my CTD; wasn't. This script is actualy a failsafe (IMHO) to ensure the leveling of the mobs around some areas, like cave entrances. It changes a wolf to a saber cat if your level is high enough. This script is harmless.

One error you get is at the start of the opening sequence, as this script levels Greywater Grotto (https://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Greywater_Grotto), BUT the opening sequence enables a parent script to put a Bandit with 1H weapon (?) there. Hence, the script cannot run with an enabled state script parent. But that's it. Those are the kind of errors you'll get, here and there; harmless.

This "fix" simply comment a line of code that states: "if -criteria-met-, enable". Thus deactivating completly the script.

These errors causes CTD IF there is some major problem or a major mod that is scripting A LOT of predators, if not all, like SkyTest (maybe?). But then, this script is irrelevant, so the fix should be used. These situations need to be identified, so to justify the fix's use.

I'll edit the other ones after I take a look.

Hey,

I don't have the privileges to do so, but I'm going to get one of the other admin to promote you to Mod Tester on the forums. We're needing reliable mod testers that we can have test this and that mod or this verses that setting, etc. The ambient seagulls is one of those things that is happening "behind the scenes" that we need to push out to our Mod Testers. Problem is, they're usually no where to be found. Most of our testers start strong and then disappear into the void.

I also took a look at the lvlpredatorscript, even checked Skyrim, Dawnguard and Hearthfire for what references this would actually need to enable and there is only one reference in Skyrim that is Initially Disabled with no Enable Parent, the rest are already enabled or have an enable parent, so I commented out the single line for the Enable() part and no more spam. It could break mods or even Dragonborn but I won't know about that one until it comes on sale, so I probably wouldn't recommend it, it isn't something that is continuously running trying to enable something it can't.

Though if you do want to try it, commenting out the single line will still allow the rest of the script to function, it will still (try) and disable anything that has a link to another reference that has the solo keyword. I don't know if it will start spamming about disabling a reference with an enable parent, but nothing has shown up yet.

Re: testers wanted!

I'd love to but I'm a lousy tester, I can't NOT tweak a mod to fit smoothly into my load order, creating patches and cleaning up more than just ITM's. I'm afraid it would skew the result for anyone who doesn't go into that kind of detail (or if I mess something up with my tinkering :P)

I know, because there is a lot to do. It isn't easy and is time consuming. Luckly, for now, I'm time free, thus my all around assault of posts on the forums.

I'll grab the list from here (overlapped with the MT forums) and see what I can do. I'll sort the easy things first, as the lvlscriptpredator was (is) and the Ambient Seagulls is.

Note that I am not well "trained" for this still, so... could take some time. When I leave for RL, I'll get an Away note up, with reason.

Gotta get used to FRAPS and configure Steam for PS.

Aside from that, let's see what can be done ;)

Anyone that actively wants to commit to testing mods out with some level of regularity can be formally recognized as a mod tester ;)

@ Wormheart & Freyergjurd

I'll recognize both of you as such until/unless you go dark on the project for any lasting amount of time.

**Full Baseline STEP**
Relevant mods: (Load Order)
1.Unofficial Skyrim Patch (1)
2.UUSkyPP (2, when enabled)

Test: PrintScren of Map Marker. Need clarification related to Carriage Marker and Horse Marker

Posted Image

Dragon Bridge Map Marker with USKP. (Slightly down-left)

Posted Image

Dragon Bridge Map Marker with UUSkyPP (Centralized)

NOTE: Need to know how to get Horse Markers and Carriage Markers =x

EDIT:

About Multiple Lycanthropy Regift, vampirism is easily "catcheable", while lycanthropy isn't. I think the companions quest is a UNIQUE way to turn into a werewolf, but not intended to be a recurrent. Would it be more vanilla friendly if you could "catch" it from other werewolves while being attacked (adding a vector)?

Maybe another way. But through the companions I think it breaks the "vanilla-intention".