Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures (by skyrimaguas)

FCqt

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am clearing all votes, since the poll is not accurately reflecting anything right now. Please recast your vote according to the new question.

Preference is entirely subjective, and the poll results do not determine what we will use in STEP. We simply want to understand what the community likes in the event that we cannot decide between two or more options.

I'm also of the opinion that SLFH - Rough is the best option. I've been running around with it installed in-game for some time now in a Core profile and I have to say that it looks really good. Especially combined with the higher detail from Beards and Brows; matches well.

Vanilla is simply horrible, IMO. AOF smooths out vanilla slightly; however, also darkens the color of the hair a bit too much. Superior and Superior with optionals are simply to "salon". Superior Rough smooths out the hair so it doesn't look like a clumped mess and while maintaining the vanilla color better than AOF.

Like I voted before, Superior-Rough is the best type of hair - because it actually looks like hair, not like something hanging off an eldritch abomination. Ugh. It's not perfect, mainly because of the poor mesh work. I wish that someone with a lot of mesh making experience should spend their time remaking all the vanilla hair meshes from scratch to make them look more realistic. Brumbek, I'm looking at you. SMIM hair or bust!

I think the meshes are the main issue, but the Superior hair textures are also problematic. The strands are too parallel and the ends look like a cleaning brush. The AOF and vanilla hair is clumpier and more believable. I was pondering the Troy poster on my DVD the other day, and it confirmed for me that vanilla and AOF get the hair better than the others.

https://www.locatetv.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Troy_2004.jpg

I agree the AOF and vanilla hair is clumpier, but I'm not sure that this is necessarily more believable. Combs were available and used, especially by upper class people, in the middle ages. For me the vanilla Jarl's hair doesn't seem very believable for someone of his stature as I find it too clumpy. I agree that the Superior hair is sometimes too parallel. Some paintings from the middle ages show hair that must have been carefully combed; many show hair that is more clumpy than Superior but much less clumpy than vanilla. Some of the vanilla hair looks like the person just took off a battle helmet at the end of a long day; that might be realistic for some of the NPCs but not all.

Hmmm, people did use combs and brushes, but they were rather coarse and likely not very common (I imagine very makeshift hair pics made from bone). A jarl in Skyrim is just glorified barbarian and far more concerned with power and respect than with his/her hair i think :P

I doubt any of these people bathe daily, and certainly, they don't have shampoo and conditioner. Clumpy, finger-combed, oily hair would most certainly have been the norm for even upper classes (certainly men anyway), as it is for the image I linked above.

To me the picture from the recent movie Troy fits the "end of a long day of battle" hair that I agreed would look like vanilla hair. There aren't many examples of pictures and history of peasant hair (or anything else about peasants) in medieval time. The hair examples in the pictures from this article and this one that could be peasant hair don't seem quite as extremely unkempt, and supposedly hair was important especially among the upper classes and I assume then at least somewhat among the peasants.

I will repeat a point I made a while back. You DO NOT need "product" to get shiny hair - washing with water will do that just as well. Hair and scalp produces natural oils that make the hair glossy. Of course these oils are suppressed by shampoo and conditioner etc.. How do you think other mammals coats stay so shiny? Not "Head and Shoulders" that's for sure. People only have unkempt hair if they do not wash and groom their hair, hell even apes do that for each other. But I guess if apes had money then we would be selling them hair care products as well.

I think the advertisers have got nearly everybody conned with that one - all anyone needed in the middle ages to have good hair was access to water and some kind of brush or comb (not new inventions) - I believe they had combs thousands of years ago - why? Unless they looked after their hair somehow.

I think we should be looking at which hair looks the best or closest to real hair as a criteria for CORE and superior hair does do that, better than vanilla and no esp. A no brainer really.

:)

I will repeat a point I made a while back. You DO NOT need "product" to get shiny hair - washing with water will do that just as well. Hair and scalp produces natural oils that make the hair glossy. Of course these oils are suppressed by shampoo and conditioner etc.. How do you think other mammals coats stay so shiny? Not "Head and Shoulders" that's for sure. People only have unkempt hair if they do not wash and groom their hair, hell even apes do that for each other. But I guess if apes had money then we would be selling them hair care products as well.

I think the advertisers have got nearly everybody conned with that one - all anyone needed in the middle ages to have good hair was access to water and some kind of brush or comb (not new inventions) - I believe they had combs thousands of years ago - why? Unless they looked after their hair somehow.

I think we should be looking at which hair looks the best or closest to real hair as a criteria for CORE and superior hair does do that, better than vanilla and no esp. A no brainer really.

+1

+2

Shiny hair is not the point. My nitpick is non-clumpy hair with sharp, brush-like ends. Just add some specularity to the vanilla normals if that is the issue ...

I'll go to my grave disagreeing with the lot of you :P ... however, if I had to pick something other than vanilla (and AOF), it would be the ragged version of Superior I suppose :dry:

I wish TC would comment!

You either get an undesirable color change with AOF or undesirable "brush-like ends" with Superior... pick the lesser of the to evils. I personally prefer Superior because it couples far better with Beards and Brows, giving a more uniformed look, than AOF does. We shouldn't focus completely on just the hair but what is also around the hair. How well do all the mods work and fit together artistically that affect the PC and NPCs? IMO, that combination is Superior, Beards and Brows.

As for the meshes, that is being tested with Better Vanilla Hairs, but it's kind of waiting on this debate to be settled so unnecessary testing isn't done.

You either get an undesirable color change with AOF or undesirable "brush-like ends" with Superior... pick the lesser of the to evils. I personally prefer Superior because it couples far better with Beards and Brows, giving a more uniformed look, than AOF does. We shouldn't focus completely on just the hair but what is also around the hair. How well do all the mods work and fit together artistically that affect the PC and NPCs? IMO, that combination is Superior, Beards and Brows.

As for the meshes, that is being tested with Better Vanilla Hairs, but it's kind of waiting on this debate to be settled so unnecessary testing isn't done.

We should be looking at Superior rough, vanilla and AOF with the new meshes then ... I did not even know about that. No sense looking at anything but the rough version of Superior though.