Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures (by skyrimaguas)

FCqt

Discussion thread:

Superior Lore-Friendly Hair by skyrimaguas

Wiki Link

New mod added today. It's a re-texture for the vanilla hair and on a quick look at the screenshot it looks pretty neat.

NOTICE: Preference is entirely subjective, and the poll results do not determine what we will use in STEP. We simply want to understand what the community likes in the event that we cannot decide between two or more options.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These look pretty nice, at least the screen shots.

The general effect seems to be to make the hair look cleaner and better groomed and less dirty and less greasy. Whether you like your Skyrim inhabitants looking clean or dingy will probably drive whether you think this is an improvement.

EDIT What's the resolution? 2k

Also seems to have download options for less shiny hair.

The comment that it is vanilla hair "Apachiified" makes sense.

These look pretty nice, at least the screen shots. What's the resolution?

2K Texture as stated in his file description.

I think its more then any current vanilla hair re-texture.

If this were used in a game set in a modern-day setting, with hair salons, then I can see the new retexture fitting. But Skyrim isn't set in modern day Earth, so... they stick out like a sore thumb. You could make a case for higher-class people to use these textures, but for everyone - it doesn't fit.

In game these look great. The hair doesn't look overly shiny etc.. You barely notice the difference unless you look for it. When you get closer it is more detailed and looks more like hair I think this is a must as now the NPCs have real looking hair that is not apachii but on the way with no loss to performance. It also makes AOF hair redundant.

As for the idea of salons, that is plain false - hair only needs to be washed with water and the natural oils that the head produces can produce nice shiny hair. Most people don't seem to know this though. I have a friend who hasn't washed his hair with anything but water for many years and you wouldn't know. Besides if you lived in a world where you never know when your going to bump into someone wearing an amulet of MARA and have to run off to get married it would probably pay to wash your hair in a nice clean stream on a regular basis.

:)

Well, correct my mistaken initial impression. I, like most other people today, wash my hair with additional products, so it's easy to assume that if you don't use them, your hair will be in a very bad state.

But, still, AOF hair isn't the only hair mod used by STEP. There's also More Realistic Hair, which is more comprehensive. Does this mod completly overwrite that one?

No it doesn't completely overwrite it as it only provides 2 texture files the same ones that AOF uses they just seem to be better but still a matter of taste I guess, I have noticed better hair on some NPCs in the game since I tried it

Washing hair without product would at first make your hair worse but after a few days your hair would look better (I bet there is a lot of big business that wouldn't want that known, look at how much they spend on advertising) - again a matter of choice. But fairly sure the people of yore did not go around with horrible greasy hair if they didn't have to. Look at me giving hair care advice on here and I'm well shorn.

Superior Lore-Friendly Hair and AOF Hair only consist of 2 file which are Hairlong.dds and Hairlong_n.dds.

They both overwrite More Realistic Hair for these files but More Realistic Hair cover additional hair dds also.

So basicly the debate would be AOF Hair vs Superior Lore-Friendly Hair since they edit the same exact file.

AOF Hair have the same resolution as original Beth texture while Superior Lore-Friendly Hair is at 2K.

EDIT: The author also uploaded a 1K version today, 2K all the way though. :)

We'll have to evaluate the less saturated and less shiny versions for how they look like in game with and without ENB (This also refers to Skyrim Revisited - so get it going guys!)

I'll wait for a admin to make it official, but I'ld like to encourage you to test this mod for inclusion in STEP 2.2.6

EDIT: The author also uploaded a 1K version today 2K all the way though. :)

In almost all cases, 1k is better for textures. Why? Because it doesn't use up that much VRAM. I'd use 2k mainly for textures used on large objects, like structure, or giant creatures.

We'll have to evaluate the less saturated and less shiny versions for how they look like in game with and without ENB (This also refers to Skyrim Revisited - so get it going guys!)

I'll wait for a admin to make it official, but I'ld like to encourage you to test this mod for inclusion in STEP 2.2.6

Well, given I've been promoted to orange, your wish will be granted!

In almost all cases, 1k is better for textures. Why? Because it doesn't use up that much VRAM. I'd use 2k mainly for textures used on large objects, like structure, or giant creatures.

That's debatable depending on each setup. Of course, if you are tight on VRAM you wouldn't want to waste ressource on small thing like hair, clutter or any other minor stuff.
But, if there is no vram/ram issue,  2K textures for hair would definitely have a high position in my I want list.

That's debatable depending on each setup. Of course, if you are tight on VRAM you wouldn't want to waste ressource on small thing like hair, clutter or any other minor stuff.
But, if there is no vram/ram issue,  2K textures for hair would definitely have a high position in my I want list.

... he said before crashing into the "3 GB RAM usage"-Wall of Death. Be aware that any further texture load can make Skyrim use that tiny bit more RAM that makes your Skyrim become a CTD-nightmare.