Inconsequential NPCs by Ripple

TeleToko

Inconsequential NPCs by Ripple.

This mod adds (currently) 40 NPCs to the world of Skyrim. While the mod does not have quests or unique voice acting, it is a step above your regular 'travelers and adventurers' type of mod. The added NPCs are completely lore friendly and the intent of the mod is to add NPCs to fill gaps in the vanilla game (for instance there are carriage guards, audience at the court, inn patrons, bodyguards for important folks etc.) All NPCs are added to cities/cells and the author sticks with the Bethesda rule of max 3 NPCs per single cell so there are no performance worries in the outside worldspace.

The mod author is Ripple who is one of the (if not the) most active and knowledgable members on the Nexus troubleshoot forums so I'm confident everything is coded properly and performance issues are monitored and kept in check.

Ripple takes requests for added NPCs as long as it stays true to the lore and the NPCs are 'inconsequential' (so not a spouse for Balgruuf or children for Ulfric). I've seen city cleaners suggested as an example. Hit the mod thread if you have a good idea!

The intent of the mod in the end is to add about 100 NPCs, with possible plugins for Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons and Winter is Coming for extra diversity.

How does it compare with Interesting NPCs? Does it use less CPU/GPU resources and have fewer scripts? 

As they do extremely different things I don't think it's fair to compare, but considering they're all meant to be non-important NPCs such that just "fill the scene" so to speak they should be a lot less script heavy than 3DNPC atleast. 

Downloaded it as I was making this post, and it has 28 tiny (1-2kb) scripts

Loaded it up in tes5edit together with RLO and SoS as those are the most likely to have cell-conflicts, and there's indeed many. So loadorder will matter a lot, as it's not yet in BOSS.

There also was a few clashes with Dawnguard that seemed odd (some queststarter for example under Locations)

Seems like a good idea. But I think maybe giving the mod a bit more than 12 hours to prove itself in the Nexus wilderness might be appropriate. (Though to be fair that's probably not what you were recommending and I do appreciate the pointer to take a look at an interesting mod - thanks!) Hopefully the authors will take on feedback and clean it up/improve compatibility.

I was thinking about this in the context of Immersive Patrols - it seems like the two of them are potentially nice complements - one populating the wilderness and the other cities and towns.

As Vond said the scope of this mod is very different from that of Interesting NPCs. For reference this mod uses 28 scripts at the moment and is about 14 mb in size while Interesting NPCs uses over 3700 scripts and is 1.3 Gb as a download.

I also looked at the mod in TES5edit and didn't see any problems. The conflicts with lighting and sound mods are simply because of cell references in the esp which need to be there in order to place something in the cell. It doesn't actually edit the cell itself, and there are many mods that do this (any book, potion, weapon, npc, etc. added to the worldspace). If Realistic Lighting Overhaul is the only esp actually editing the cell the conflict is resolved as long as any esp that adds an item/npc to the worldspace is loaded before RLO . These type of conflicts even exist with the Unofficial Patches for example. There is only really a problem when two or more esps edit the same cell and in that case a patch is needed. This happens often with mods that add sounds and change lighting (RLO, SoS, CoT) or change names (Unique Region Names). This mod doesn't do anything of the like. As for the Queststarter events under Location, note that the Dawnguard.esp events there are also overwritten by Hearthfire, Dragonborn and/or the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. 

Heh that's a lot of technical stuff not much to do with the mod.

I like the mod and I hope it gets the attention I feel it deserves, and wanted to shed my view on the conflicts talked about as I think they are minor to none. This mod is clean as can be as long as you properly place it in your load order. If this is concerning there are far worse offenders to be found.

I'm a big fan of mods that add NPCs to the world. Always found it odd that there is so much focus in Skyrim on mods that add monsters, animals, birds upto butterflies and antz, while the addition of NPCs to the underpopulated world of Skyrim pales in comparison. This is one of the mods that tries to fill that gap and based on the ideas, reputation and activity of the author I believe Inconsequential NPCs is an already good mod with even more potential for the future.

As Vond said the scope of this mod is very different from that of Interesting NPCs. For reference this mod uses 28 scripts at the moment and is about 14 mb in size while Interesting NPCs uses over 3700 scripts and is 1.3 Gb as a download.

I also looked at the mod in TES5edit and didn't see any problems. The conflicts with lighting and sound mods are simply because of cell references in the esp which need to be there in order to place something in the cell. It doesn't actually edit the cell itself, and there are many mods that do this (any book, potion, weapon, npc, etc. added to the worldspace). If Realistic Lighting Overhaul is the only esp actually editing the cell the conflict is resolved as long as any esp that adds an item/npc to the worldspace is loaded before RLO . These type of conflicts even exist with the Unofficial Patches for example. There is only really a problem when two or more esps edit the same cell and in that case a patch is needed. This happens often with mods that add sounds and change lighting (RLO, SoS, CoT) or change names (Unique Region Names). This mod doesn't do anything of the like. As for the Queststarter events under Location, note that the Dawnguard.esp events there are also overwritten by Hearthfire, Dragonborn and/or the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. 

Heh that's a lot of technical stuff not much to do with the mod.

I like the mod and I hope it gets the attention I feel it deserves, and wanted to shed my view on the conflicts talked about as I think they are minor to none. This mod is clean as can be as long as you properly place it in your load order. If this is concerning there are far worse offenders to be found.

I'm a big fan of mods that add NPCs to the world. Always found it odd that there is so much focus in Skyrim on mods that add monsters, animals, birds upto butterflies and antz, while the addition of NPCs to the underpopulated world of Skyrim pales in comparison. This is one of the mods that tries to fill that gap and based on the ideas, reputation and activity of the author I believe Inconsequential NPCs is an already good mod with even more potential for the future.

As far as I can tell this mod conflicts with Hearthfire (Editor ID 00018A56, 00018A59, 00018A5A), Point The Way (Editor ID 00018A58), USKP (Editor ID 00018A5A). Not 100% sure if these are serious conflicts - could someone confirm pls?

They are not super serious conflicts. Easily resolved in the way SR does resolve conflicts :)

Edit: I would also say the performance for adding these npcs does not decrease at all for me. There are not a massive amount that is added after all.

I also love npc mods. Filling in spaces that are pretty empty is important to me. All the npcs he adds are lore friendly and make sense in the location they are placed. They will not get boring to talk to because well.........they don't have any interest in talking to you. That is what is great. There are not many mods that add npcs that are just going about their daily lives. Not everyone will stop and want to say hi like he mentions ;)

It is also updated and currently being worked on to add more. There was just an update adding more NPCS the other day (his goal is 100 with 52 currently available)

• 9 months later...

Very happy with this mod, it's well made and maintained and doesn't jump sharks. The added "life" to the game blends in very well.

Yep.  I use this and Immersive Patrols (plus ETaC and Dawn of...) to make my cities much more bustling places.  Love it.

I haven't used Immersive Patrols yet...the files listed on Nexus seemed fairly complex...modular is nice but I have no idea where to start based on their descriptions. (A B C D E (Modular Installer, Merged Installer, Aggro)  Do I only need "A"?

And I am concerned with spawn overload while roaming, I have Immersive Creatures, Travellers of Skyrim and all the Populated Series at present.

Edited by Kuldebar