SKSE (by the SKSE Team)

z929669

The instruction/recommendation to 'repackage skse* zip' at paragragh 2 of   https://wiki.step-pro...Recommendations seems totally unnecessary.

Mod Organizer is quite capable of detecting a data folder within a zip archive, and in fact even gives a red "No game data on top level" warning when it can't find one. So the user has to simply "find" the correct data folder to install.

I suggest that the recommendations 2. and 3. be changed to read something like "2.  Place the skse *_*_*.7z file into the MO downloads directory and install it from within MO".

That way the whole archive is kept intact for later re-installing or if, heavens forbid, the skse archive becomes no longer available on-line.

@ Darqnite: Thanks for that post. As a newbie, I can't quite explain how intimidating STEP is starting to look right now. I tried doing what you suggested but I'm still getting the "no game data on top level (in red letters)" error!

This is seriously frustrating (compounded by the knowledge that I haven't even properly begun STEP yet). Can anybody help me? I'm a gamer, not a modder and I really want to get back to playing this uber awesome game!

@ Darqnite: Thanks for that post. As a newbie, I can't quite explain how intimidating STEP is starting to look right now. I tried doing what you suggested but I'm still getting the "no game data on top level (in red letters)" error!

This is seriously frustrating (compounded by the knowledge that I haven't even properly begun STEP yet). Can anybody help me? I'm a gamer, not a modder and I really want to get back to playing this uber awesome game!

But wait, I tried using the "content tree" option in the install mods dialogue box and voila, it seems to have accepted the "Data" folder in the SKSE .7zip archive file as a valid folder!

Now my question is this: do I still need to do steps 2 & 3 (the whole repackage business) before I proceed? Obviously the guy that wrote those steps must've had something in mind?

When you see that red text, just right click the folder you see that should be the data directory and select 'Set data directory'. That should remove the error.

Any mod that has that problem is fixed this way. Also, so mods require you to do a few times to find the right folder.

I'm also having trouble with my initial installation of STEP Core. Specifically with figuring out how to install SKSE with MO

After I follow the directions how do I launch Skyrim with SKSE? I assume I need to add the skse.exe to the MO "modify executables".

Is this correct?

Do I then always launch skyrim with the SKSE executable?

Do i really NOT need to install SKSE with the normal installer package from the official site?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Please keep on topic. This is a support thread, while I respect that STEP has a learning curb the purpose of such a thread and forum is to help others not interject opinions that do not contribute to the person asking for help and clutter the thread, this applies to the support forums in general; any opinions such as this might be more suited to the Banter Inn. Have a good day and I hope you have better luck with modding, and as I said the support forum is there for people such as yourself crippler to receive help on your issues and get things running more smoothly. The community is growing and it is sometimes hard to keep up with all of the threads so if you have made any and have not received answers or enough to help you fix your problems then please don't let that discourage your from asking again now or in the future.

Sorry to take so long to respond to you guys - real life keeps insisting on getting some attention...

@ thecrippler2005 I did finally install SKSE satisfactorily using the knowledge I gained during my first attempts, and from the comments made in this thread. If you are still having problems installing it, I can detail blow-by-blow what I did.

Mo auto detects skse if it is installed correctly. No need to add it. Just restart MO and it should list SKSE in the executables drop down.

I had not realized that MO did that!

I wasted a lot of time working out how to add SKSE manually. My noobness keeps showing, I guess.

Perhaps 'restarting MO' should be the final instruction for the SKSE install (?); it certainly would have helped this noob.

@ Phazer11: Fair enough. I'll keep your words in mind, and thanks.

@ Darqnite: Thanks for offering to help, but I'm way past installing SKSE now. Here's where I'm stuck though: I'm at the part where I have to install Bethesda's Hi-res DLC optimised and my problem is with my graphics adaptor. You see, I have a dedicated NVIDIA GPU in addition to a generic onboard Intel graphics card. Ever since I installed ENBoost, I can't seem to get Skyrim to detect my dedicated NVidia card! Needless to say, I'm experiencing significant performance issues while running Skyrim on my onboard Intel card instead of my dedicated card.

I'd like to know whether ENBoost is strictly necessary for STEP and whether I'll be better off without it (ENBoost I mean).

Edited by thecrippler2005

A question on SKSE 1.7 Beta:

I installed it on my notebook, and noticed a couple of things right off. (I installed it via MO, a-la Neovalen. I also installed the memory part of ENBoost. As far as I can tell, I crossed all the i's and dotted all the t's to install SKSE and ENBoost...)

1) Loading screens take WAAAY longer than they did (though I do not get ILS errors and way less CTDs). Especially true starting the game for the first time, and most fast travel screens. Occasionally going in/out doors, too.

2) My FPS can really drop compared to what I had before. Was 20-25; but can drop now to 7-10. Especially in combat. Stays for a while, and can go back up again. Sometimes not... (Sidebar: I miss HiAlgo Boost. Worked really well, tho conflicts with ENBoost.)

Anyone else notice these things with version 1.7 Beta?