Guard won't acknowledge my shout

LynziRaeighn

Question

At the end of 'Dragon Rising' you have the option to use your shout. The guard encourages you and after that he's supposed to say something else and they all head back to Whiterun.

My game gets up to him telling me to shout and then nothing happens.

I'm Corvidius's flatmate so if you want my specs, look at his thread about the draugr overlords.

I looked up 'The Choice is Yours' but it doesn't seem to affect it?

A speedy response would be very appreciated, thank you very much.

5 answers to this question

At the end of 'Dragon Rising' you have the option to use your shout. The guard encourages you and after that he's supposed to say something else and they all head back to Whiterun.

My game gets up to him telling me to shout and then nothing happens.

I'm Corvidius's flatmate so if you want my specs, look at his thread about the draugr overlords.

I looked up 'The Choice is Yours' but it doesn't seem to affect it?

A speedy response would be very appreciated, thank you very much.

Do you have any mods overhauling dragons? Some of them cause this issue post-dragonborn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You know, I should have searched before I said this.

This thread: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=2437&page=2&highlight=greybeards

My problem wasn't as bad.The shout pushes the guards back and hurts them but they weren't attacking me even for multiple shouts.

Anyway, this person was having the issue of the shout not really working at all and they found out that it was to do with "destructible bottles" mod.

I deactivated that mod and went back into the game. Lo and behold, I managed to complete that optional objective.

I'm not sure whether I did something wrong when doing the patches that Neovalen suggests in his 'Skyrim Revisited' but I made sure to follow the cleaning instructions very carefully. Maybe the mod still has problems with the Unrelenting Force shout?

Yea, I've posted that the change Destructible Bottles makes to Unrelenting Force doesn't always cause the shout to work. However, it worked for me when I attempted to diagnose the problem (even breaking bottles as intended) - so... I'm at a loss myself. Lynzi, try enabling Destructible Bottles again, and be sure to enable Papyrus logging and, to be extra scrupulious with logging - install Conskrybe as well. Be sure to use Pastebin to upload both the Papyrus and Conskyrbe logs. Anything you can do to log the problem helps, so I can make attempts to fix it.

(This page on the Creation Kit Wiki includes a section on how to enable Papyrus logging.)

Right, well, since I've not done the Papyrus logging thing before I may have to leave it a little while before giving you that info. I get easily flustered at new things even if the instructions are there (generalised anxiety disorder might be to blame). I'll see if my flatmate will be willing to do it for me though he's just as newbie, otherwise I'll get to it as soon as I have a day where my brain isn't porridge.

I'll look over the instructions now though, who knows, I might be feeling sassy.