Freeze's or CTD

phazer11

Question

I don't understand why but I keep CTD'ing between Riverwood and Helgen. I've tried uninstalling Alternate Start and SoS performing a SUM patch at each step and several other things like checking my patches. My BOSS log is attached. I'll also freeze on load screens around these areas some times. I had it working at one point but... *sigh* 

I don't have Dawnguard or Hearthfires or Dragonborn so I did not perform those edits or install those mod that required those DLC's. I've also stuck with the old version of AV as the new one gets an error (I've posted on Levi's page)

Also it doesn't make a difference if I have Drinking Fountains of Skyrim and it's RND patch disabled, deleted or uninstalled.

BOSSlog.txt

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Posted by phazer11: I'm getting between 50 and 60 FPS with the occasional stutter... 

Any ideas on increasing performance?

Your performance is already at more or less max. Performance is measured in your average FPS. So I do not understand why you would want to OC anything! 

You cannot get more then 60FPS out of the game since it is locked at this value. 

anisotropic filtering is set to 4x

If you got 50-60FPS then you can just set the AF to 16x and get the better quality with a very minimal amount of FPS loss. 

Any stuttering you can more or less remove by reducing the texture load. Since you are so close to the limit then it would most likely be a good idea to do anyways! 

Overall I am starting to get a bit confused as to what it is you are asking for, and want to achieve here. From the sound of what you are saying then you have a decent build with excellent performance.

Anyone aware of any conflicts whatsoever between Automatic Variants and any mods at all? I assume there aren't. Maybe it just wasn't as stable as it appeared. I was playing for a few hours testing it out before I put AV in. I had gotten the RAM usage down to 1900-2200MB on average before putting AV in. It was ~2100(on average)-2400MB and it started freezing in random places. I'll try putting the resolution back down to 1600x900.

Here's the BOSS log. I disabled Werewolf Mastery (Non-Dawnguard Version) and Better Vampires (Non-Dawnguard Version) and that didn't help.

I have to say the skse borderless window trick (works better than Simple Borderless Window) helps alot I don't have to keep logging out of windows to get Skyrim closed. I shouldn't be skyTEST

BOSSlog May 21 2013.txt

I don't think Automatic Variants conflict with anything in Skyrim Revisited.

Maybe with ASIS, if not installed properly.

On the other hand, when did you install the simple borderless window mod?

I had some weird freeze with it so I decided to get rid of it for now.

Might have no link, but worth a shot.

EDIT:

If you are using SkyRe you might want to check this out:

SkyRe Script Fix.

I decreased the resolution, removed borderless window and decreased the resolution. And no I'm not using SkyRe as it requires the DLC's and it still freezes I couldn't really get it to before AV. I also tried it with nothing btu the HRDLC and running just AV still a freeze right near Hellgen.

I decreased the resolution removed borderless window and decreased the resolution. And no I'm not using SkyRe as it requires the DLC's and it still freezes I couldn't really get it to before AV. I also tried it with nothing btu the HRDLC and running just AV still a freeze right near Hellgen.

Are you tweaked gameprofile in videodriver options?

How would that help? It's a mod issue.

Turning off Automatic Variants lets me get past the quest marker (which apparently triggers in the spot I kept freezing) but this is not acceptable I want(require) Automatic variants for immersion.

So can anyone think of some mods for me to turn off instead of AV?

If you get a freeze with nothing but HLDLC, then try to disable the various textures in AV until the issue goes away!

That way you can isolate which specific texture is causing the issue.

You can start out with an overall disable of an individual pack.

How would that help? It's a mod issue.

Turning off Automatic Variants lets me get past the quest marker (which apparently triggers in the spot I kept freezing) but this is not acceptable I want(require) Automatic variants for immersion.

So can anyone think of some mods for me to turn off instead of AV?

how? not always mods are problem. I have a story. In one wonderful day I had 2 copy of skyrim, one heavily modded and one fresh, for use with mod organaizer. Driver settings was set up per step guide.Then I started vanilla fresh install or with mods (mostly texture) I always had gamebreaking bug, so called "intro carriage glitch", but heavily modded skyrim always passed thru intro (via Alternate Start-LAL, or without AS-LAL) without problems. Resetting driver settings for skyrim cured the issue for fresh install, heavily modded copy worked without problems too.

Strange? It's not the word.

Any ideas to help me try and keep AV installed (if it is a resource RAM freeze/ctd)

@Iroha but that is very likely not the issue here. When I have AV running it gives me freezes between Riverwood and Helgen at places with quest markers or other similar things it seems. Removing AV fixes it. But I don't want to go without it.

Any ideas to help me try and keep AV installed (if it is a resource RAM freeze/ctd)

@Iroha but that is very likely not the issue here. When I have AV running it gives me freezes between Riverwood and Helgen at places with quest markers or other similar things it seems. Removing AV fixes it. But I don't want to go without it.

ok, list masters for av.esp, attach skyproc debug log for AV and give some answers:

1. Are you optimized textures and/or normal maps for installed av packages? do you have logs? attach if you have.

2. Are you selected packages as in SR Guide? Or made some custom choices?

I followed the SR suggestions mostly. I didn't like some of the packs or choices and like Slof's horses better overall. I did optimize the AV textures (though idk if I did the normals) but will do it again to be sure. I'm actually having trouble getting it to optimize the AV packs this time. It's not processing the files at all (I checked nothing is output to the destination if I untick passthrough)

Edit: Forgot about folder structure requirement

Alright Iroha I could hug you. Thank you for asking me to check the masters I'd looked for so many more complicated solutions and it seems to have been a ghosted master. I opened up Wrye Bash (because it was easier to look at the masters there) and when I looked at SUM's masters I noticed that a mod I thought I'd properly uninstalled as I was starting my Skyrim Revisited install was listed as a master. It appears (as I haven't done a full 6 hour test yet) that Expanded Winterhold Destruction ruins was the culprit. Turns out it was still listed as a master in my Bashed Patch (which I use just to make sure all the leveled lists are taken care of) despite it (EWDR) no longer being installed. So somehow I had a ghost esm listed as a master in my rebuilt bashed patch... which apparently didn't cause problems normally but as soon as AV was involved (I guess the engine involved in the randomization) caused it to cry uncle. Go figure! So I deleted the bashed patch completely and told Wyre Bash to make a new one and so far no freezing at the spot(s) it was.

Now I need to tweak some ini settings for draw distance and see if I can get some better FPS. With the Borderless Window plugin I'm able to run in 1920x1080 @ 45-53 FPS (more often 48 or so with the occasional stutter)

Does anyone know the distance at which trees can be drawn without being seen? What I mean is say I'm on a cliff and I want to see the trees at the bottom of the cliff (and as far as I can see) what is the minimum setting for that? I think it is called load distance (at least that's what skyrim configurator calls it (the default setting appears to be 50000.0000) with high detail draw distance at my custom setting at 2500 (still need to toy with that). If anyone can think of anything that has an impact on performance but no real quality difference (perceptible) then I'd appreciate a post. 

Is that too much text? Let me know if it needs to be put in a spoiler or something.

Optimized AV Package Log.7z