General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

Think it is just a part of the design.... almost ALL mods would have this structure... AV being the only one (that I know off) that is the exception to the rule.

Also Solist... if you reduce the normals maps to 1k you get more then those 40Mb!

The visual impact is there on mammoths, bears etc. so you might want to leave those out. But for the tiny critters like foxes and rabbits etc. there is no real issue... it is not like you stand staring and fight those all the time. And they are everywhere in the wilds! If I ever get any memory issues I know they are the first to get their textures reduced to 1k as well... since I just do not want to have super sharp textures on tiny critters compared to many other things.

Totally, Aiyen. I was thinking the same thing on the normals...I wouldn't do it to NPCs, but for critters/animals the normals seem like a smart idea. Could manually just not do the larger animal creatures such as mammoths and such to avoid the visuals issues.

Riddle me this batman...

I went to go test Blaze of Eventide... ran into a swarm of 8 wolves...

Figured oh crap I'm about to bite it, when I noticed I was taking NO DAMAGE from any of them on horseback. Once I got off I promptly got eaten...

Thoughts as to a cause?

Edit: Apparently pretty much anything will agro me but won't actually try to hit me when sitting on top of blaze? Going to try another horse now. Had an army of forsworn just standing around me weapons out and "bumping" me... lol

Edit2: Took a regular horse, same deal... I did die this time tho since ONE out of 10 people actually shot an arrow at me. Wierd... ideas?

I have been stress testing SR in Riverwood with a clean save to determine what mods need to be DDSopted. Since I am running around trying to see what will make the game CTD, I do not care if I do stupid stuff. One of the things I did was steal the horse in front of the Riverwood Inn and then kill anyone and everything in sight while riding from one end of town to the other. While on horse back, I am seemingly invincible to all but the elf with the bow. Others can't touch me even if I just sit on the horse and do nothing.

@statmonster go one folder up and when you have the textures folder in your explorer window then click "use folder". It'll start there instead of one deeper at "av packages".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been stress testing SR in Riverwood with a clean save to determine what mods need to be DDSopted. Since I am running around trying to see what will make the game CTD' date=' I do not care if I do stupid stuff. One of the things I did was steal the horse in front of the Riverwood Inn and then kill anyone and everything in sight while riding from one end of town to the other. While on horse back, I am seemingly invincible to all but the elf with the bow. Others can't touch me even if I just sit on the horse and do nothing.[/quote']

What horse in front of the Sleeping Giant Inn?  Was that added by SkyTest? (I don't think I saw it testing with that in Riverwood.). Do you have another mod that adds things to Riverwood?

Solist - thanks fr your answer re DDSOpting AV. 

I have been stress testing SR in Riverwood with a clean save to determine what mods need to be DDSopted. Since I am running around trying to see what will make the game CTD' date=' I do not care if I do stupid stuff. One of the things I did was steal the horse in front of the Riverwood Inn and then kill anyone and everything in sight while riding from one end of town to the other. While on horse back' date=' I am seemingly invincible to all but the elf with the bow. Others can't touch me even if I just sit on the horse and do nothing.[/quote'']

What horse in front of the Sleeping Giant Inn?  Was that added by SkyTest? (I don't think I saw it testing with that in Riverwood.). Do you have another mod that adds things to Riverwood?

Solist - thanks fr your answer re DDSOpting AV. 

Yes, I have two mods that add people to Riverwood, I forgot the horse probably isn't in vanilla. The two mods are Interesting NPCs, which I believe adds three people to Riverwood among others added thoughout Skyrim and maybe the horse, and Girls of Skyrim, which adds four woman found in the Riverwood Inn. One of those two mods must be adding the horse.

I don't remember interesting NPCs adding a horse in Riverwood - but I haven't used it in a month or so so it might be new.

EDIT: Interesting to see that it was UFO (below) - I wouldn't have figured it would add horses, unless you had a follower who rode one there maybe.

I don't remember interesting NPCs adding a horse in Riverwood - but I haven't used it in a month or so so it might be new.

I run about 10 mods on top of SR. Those mods are usually adding people/follows to the game. Most are my favorite mods that I used before discovering STEP/SR. So for me the horse has always been there. But which mod add it? I never knew and deactivated mods I thought were adding it until I discovered which one. In the end it came down to UFO - Ultimate Follow Overhaul. Learn something new everyday.

than to guess from where horse came' date=' better find it in TES5Edit by FORM ID[/quote']

I learned a lot about modding by lurking here for a long time. I even updated my graphics cards (dual MSI GTX 470 1.25GB SLI to single EVGA GTX 680 4GB) just for SR. It took me 1.5 monthes just to get Neo's instructions correct and I still haven't really played since I still get constant CTDs (pure SR without my mods) which I never had before I upgraded my graphics. At first I didn't know the difference between merge and replace in MO or sorting the mods in the proper order. While I have gotten much more proficient in all the tools thanks to Neo's SR, knowing about FORM ID's is well beyond my knowledge. What I did, was remove mods one by one until the horse was no longer there. It required rerunning SUM multiple times (see I learned something). UFO it is. Once removed, the horse was gone and if added, it is back.

When you are just testing a lot of different mod alternatives or similar things I find it often easier to simply disable SUM and any mods relying on it prior to testing. Do all the testing and then re-enable the mods and SUM and make sure everything still works OK with it back on. It's much faster.

When you are just testing a lot of different mod alternatives or similar things I find it often easier to simply disable SUM and any mods relying on it prior to testing. Do all the testing and then re-enable the mods and SUM and make sure everything still works OK with it back on. It's much faster.

You are right. Why didn't I think of it. Thanks.

If you want to know which mod adds something you can open the console and click on it. You will then see a number which is the items form id. The first two characters of the form id identify which mod the item comes from, it corresponds with the id you can see in your esp load order in Mod Organizer.

If you want to know which mod adds something you can open the console and click on it. You will then see a number which is the items form id. The first two characters of the form id identify which mod the item comes from' date=' it corresponds with the id you can see in your esp load order in Mod Organizer.[/quote']

Thanks, that is useful information, I will have to give it a try.