Book Covers Skyrim (by DanielCoffey and doccdr)

dstansberry

Where are we on this one? Does it still need compares or have we decided? If it does' date=' does anyone know a way to spawn all of the books in the game I'd like to get quite a few of them all on screen.[/quote']

With the console "coc qasmoke" . There are supposedly 3 containers in this room that together have all spell tomes, all skill books, and all books.

A new version of this mod (2.0.7) was posted a few days ago.

It also has a new HD paper addon with textures that are 2x resolution of vanilla but not as high res as HQ Paper; based on the images with the mod the paper seems to me to be in between vanilla and HQ paper in how clean the pages are. 

He used to update more often than he does now. What he used to do, is throw a small chunks of new textures in optional files, and once they built up for a bigger update, he would update the main file. They weren't fixed, just new new textures. Currently all the books (vanilla + all DLC) are complete, but notes and journals are not fully covered yet. It's perfectly safe to ignore the small updates and just wait for the main file updates.

Good thing is, this mod carries forward changes from all unofficial patches too.

It won't be for core, obviously, as it drastically deviates from vanilla, however I would say it's a MUST for Extended. It really adds to the game. The only feature I don't use are watermarks on the notes - they don't fit well into the game I think and sometimes feel out of place.

Also, for the people that say it's not possible for the books in that 'time period' to have such covers, the author offers the following explanation, which I find perfectly viable:

A Final Comment on the Literacy of Nirn:

For those of you who don't think the books are old enough or not medieval enough, or look too modern I offer the following:

Nirn is not medieval Earth. There are far more differences than similarities. On Nirn, strong protective armor can be made of glass. Ebony is a metal rather than wood. Trolls and Ice Wraiths roam about killing people. Clothes can be purchased off-the-rack rather than being handmade for individuals. Vampires, Werewolves, Lizard People, and Cat People are real, not legends. And that's even before you get to the magic.

On Earth during medieval times, books could not be mass produced. There was no printing press. Monks spent their whole lives copying books by hand. Most people were illiterate, and only the very rich and the church itself owned books of any kind. Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press in the mid 1400's and moved the world from the Medieval Dark Ages to the Enlightenment of the Renaissance.

On Nirn, most people are literate (they write notes and shopping lists, inkwells and quill pens exist in vast supply) and even the poor own books. Shelves are lined with them. You find books everywhere. The shops, homes, caves, forts, and even prisons in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim have books everywhere. They aren't rare and they aren't expensive. The towns in Oblivion had bookstores. BOOKSTORES!! SHELVES LINED WITH BOOKS!!! Medieval Earth certainly did not have that. The children in the orphanage in Riften have books, demonstrating that they are being taught to read. Imagine that! Orphans being taught to read! That never happened in Medieval Earth. The books of Nirn are bound and dispensed in a way that indicates mass production. Although you may not see a printing press. It's there somewhere. So if one really takes time to analyze the Literary Culture of Nirn, it is much more similar to Colonial America or Victorian England than it is to Medieval Earth.

I'd like to get some new compares for it, seeing that Roots compares are no longer available.

Apologies, I was cleaning my Imageshack recently and I forgot I used those shots for compares here! I may do some new ones, but that won't happen anytime soon - I'm moving house this week, so it's all a bit hectic, and then I'm off for 2 week holiday :)

Not realistic, you can't burn these newly covered books for warmth...

(Seriously though, great mod, most of the covers are great and definitely should on one of the extended guides. Even after the great mod cull I did recently, this mod remains a staple.)

How is everyone doing today?

Anyway, I realized that this mod does not have any proper screenshots, so I took it on myself to take some screenshots for the community so that we can finalize this mod. Enjoy!

Note: These are the desaturated version of the book covers, as the original look too colorful.

Vanilla                                     Book Covers

Posted Image  Posted Image

Evening Star

Posted Image  Posted Image

Dance of Fire

Posted Image  Posted Image

Explorer's Guide Map

Annals of the Dragonguard

Argonian Account

Biography of Barenziah

Brief History of the Empire

Letter

Letter

Personally, I think the mod enhances skyrim's books in more ways than one.

Each book has a unique design that goes really well with the title of the book.

Anyway, enjoy the screenshots, and if you need me to take a couple more screenshots for different books, just ask.

Each of the vanilla versions is distinct from one another ... I don't like the letters from this mod at all. The book covers don't add anything really IMO.

Is there something broken or undesirable that this mod fixes?

Perhaps it will be good for Extended. I have yet to play with it though. The screens don't really sell the mod for me though.

@z929669

Just wanted to let you know, that I took the screenshots of the books that didnt look the same in vanilla. Which is the reason why each one is different in the vanilla shots, but in reality, there are many books in vanilla that look very similar to each other.

Ill also upload some screenshots with the books in the shelf, which will show the biggest difference.

Now regarding the letters, thankfully they are optional so I would propose to eliminate them in the options.

Each of the vanilla versions is distinct from one another ... I don't like the letters from this mod at all. The book covers don't add anything really IMO.

Perhaps it will be good for Extended. I have yet to play with it though. The screens don't really sell the mod for me though.

To be completely honest this is one of those mods you have to make a playthrough with (or at least play with for a while) to see any difference (I did) and it really adds to the immersion for me it brings me more into the game. 

To be completely honest this is one of those mods you have to make a playthrough with (or at least play with for a while) to see any difference (I did) and it really adds to the immersion for me it brings me more into the game. 
OK, then a few more endorsements from staff based on actual game-play, improvement and/or corrections that this mod makes will suit me for inclusion into Extended. I will probably not have the time to give this one a fair shot.

Alright Ladies & Gentleman,

I took it upon myself to take the best possible screenshots for you to compare.

These screenshots will include bookshelves & new book covers that will show you finally the difference between book covers & vanilla

This is a major screenshots overhaul that took awhile to create. Hopefully this will help the community, which in the end will be worth it.

ENJOY!!!

Vanilla                                     Book Covers                                                  Vanilla                                     Book Covers

Posted Image  Posted Image                         Posted Image  Posted Image   

Posted Image  Posted Image                         Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Image                         Posted Image  Posted Image

Also, if my votes means anything, I say defiantly a step mod

Let me know your thoughts =-)

Nice screens ... seeing the effect of this mod on the seemingly redundant books on the shelves has sold me. I needed that kind of clarity to understand that there was actually a lot more variation of books in the game than the vanilla covers indicated.

This may even be considered a 'correction' of a vanilla 'shortcoming' (i.e., laziness).

If this is a very clean replacement with little concern for downstream compatibility or other issues relating to instability, I could even see this being a candidate for Core ... maybe.