STEP v2.2.5 Official Bug Reports

z929669

Okay, so I've been working through the STEP v2.2.5 guide and have run into the following:

H5 AOF Believable Hair

The BCF when applied to 1.3.2 breaks it. In its default state Wyre will not install the Optional folder (which would override one of the base textures), but once the BCF has been applied none of the textures will be installed due to the naming scheme used. It looks like the intention is to turn the folders into sub-packages, but this is not what happens.

K22 Septim HD

The BCF doesn't work with this mod. I've added the BCF to Wyre, but neither main nor the optional flipped release offer the option to apply the conversion. The mod is still at 1.0.

M27 Wearable Lanterns

This has a choice between BSA and loose installation downloads. I believe that baseline should be recommending the non-BSA as it does for the two other wearable lantern add-ons.

1.C.2 guidance

"Set [Catalyst A.I.] to highest texture quality and tick Enable Surface Format Optimization"

This should be "Set [surface Format Optimization] to On"

Set [Wait for vertical refresh] to Quality

I'm assuming the intention here is to enable vertical refresh, in which case it should be one of the following:

"Set [Wait for vertical refresh] to 'On, unless application specifies'"

or

"Set [Wait for vertical refresh] to 'Always on'"

The former is my recommendation, unless Skyrim specifically requests that the graphics driver disable vsync.

Tick Triple buffering under [OpenGL Settings]

Skyrim is a DirectX game, there's no need to change OpenGL settings.

Download and install the latest AMD drivers (beta if available).

At this point in the game's lifecycle, users should not be being directed to beta drivers.

Set [Anti-Aliasing Mode] to Multi-sample AA

This is the default setting (the correct name is "Multi-sample"). If the intention is to have the user check that it's correct, then the user should also be checking that both [Anti-Aliasing Mode] and [Anti-Aliasing Samples] are set to "Use application settings".

Set [Tessellation] to AMD Optimized

It's now called [Tessellation Mode].

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional documentation issues:

D06 Consistent Older People

Notes need to mention you should ensure the BOYD sub-package is selected for installation if you're going to use BOYD.

D23 Maximum Skeleton

The installer will ask if you want to installation animation files for this mod. There's nothing in the STEP notes about this.

Selecting "Magic-Shield-Crouch patch for NON FNIS User" in the installation wizard doesn't lead to the sub-package 01 NON FNIS patch being selected. My guess is that this sub-package should be selected and so the notes will need to be updated if this is a bug in the wizard or the script handling this.

G26 Vibrant Auras

Two options are available, 1.5x and 2.0x, ideally there should be a STEP recommendation.

G27 Visible Windows

Instructions should state that only 00 Data is required and that other sub-packages are to customise to taste, not additional textures or locations. Ideally there should be a STEP recommendation here.

G28 WATER

Instructions state to use the WATER Dragonborn addon if you have Dragonborn, but no instructions are provided on which sub-packages to use. 10 WATER - DB and 20 - WATER - DB Waves are mutually exclusive.

H25 Xenius Character Enhancement

This has a number of sub-packages after the BCF is applied, but there's no instructions on which to use. As best as I can tell you only want 00 Core.

I03 Book of Silence

Instructions should specify that once you've installed the BCF you should use the wizard and select STEP Default. This is a great BCF by the way, good job whoever made it.

I06 Closer Quivers & Longer Arrows

Does not state whether you should install the slim quivers. Should probably note that the Elven Weaponry mod mentioned is not the Elven Weapons mod used by STEP (AFAIK). Does not state whether you should install closer bolts, and if you do whether you should use closer or hidden. Options are selected by default though, so my assumption was that those were the right options.

I08 Elven Weapons for Silence

No instructions are provided on which sub-packages to install after applying the BCF. All are optional apart from 00 CORE, though I think STEP should look into the silver textures as the screenshots look rather nice while not moving too far from the original.

J18 Skyrim Sunglare

There are two main packages (mutually exclusive), one with and one without lens flare. STEP should make a recommendation.

Section D

There's a mod (which I have yet to identify) which is using subtitles to be displayed during the opening between the imperial soldier manning the gate and general Tullius.

Final note

At least one mod, D06 Dual Sheath Redux needs a file running after all mods have been installed. It would be really handy to have a list of these at the end of the mod list so you remember which ones you need to go back and check on again once you've worked your way down the list.

Thanks to everyone who put this guide together, it was really very helpful.

M27 Wearable Lanterns

This has a choice between BSA and loose installation downloads. I believe that baseline should be recommending the non-BSA as it does for the two other wearable lantern add-ons.

It says at the top of the mod tables that loose files should be used when ever available, it doesn't need to be mentioned on every mod.

I believe it says on the Guide that if there is no recommendation then it's up to the user's preference.

If one option is obviously closest to Vanilla and the others diverge from it we can recommend that option (Arvak Rewritten for example), but if it's a personal aesthetic difference (such as with Skill Interface or Main Font Replacement) then it should be left up to the user.

Can someone do the testing on the iLargeRef tweak and report back? It shouldn't take long to test. Those that are having issues please test with it at 131072 (half of STEP recommendation) and then test at default (removed from Skyrim.INI). Are the issues fixed with either. Are there freezes or crashes loading into interiors with either?

I would test myself but I'm not have any issues with STEP's recommendation.

For some reason I kept crashing trying to enter Fort Fellhammer Mines (not far south east of Dawnstar), tried a few things that didn't work and then I tried the iLargeIntRefCount tweak. I figured if the default is 100 that I would start small and work my way up until it worked (if it worked), I first set it to 1000 and it worked right away, I never tried lowering it to see where it crashed again though.

I figure I can bump it up if I find anywhere else that needs more but if I find something that needs 5 to 10k or more, I'd just uninstall the mod that cell is added in, as I don't see a need to have that many loose items in a single cell. As awesome as it would be to actually see a dragons den filled with gold, just make new meshes instead of actually filling it with gold ;)

M27 Wearable Lanterns

It says at the top of the mod tables that loose files should be used when ever available, it doesn't need to be mentioned on every mod.

But it needs to be consistent, otherwise you confuse the user. After all, why list it for one but not the other? Suddenly you think perhaps that means you shouldn't use the loose files here, otherwise it would say, right? etc.

G04 Skyrim Floral Overhaul

I think this is a bit heavy for the baseline and consideration should either be given to making it optional, or making exclusion of Skyrim Floral Overhaul.esp part of the baseline. On my system this mod alone is a 5fps hit during the intro sequence, without that esp it's only 2fps.

The guide also needs to specify whether 179 or 181 should be used since 181 is not an upgrade, rather it's a version of the mod without the hand placed elements.

EDIT: 181 also appears to be a lower FPS hit, so maybe 181 for baseline and 179 is the HQ option? Someone with a more thorough testing methodology than me should probably look at this.

M27 Wearable Lanterns

But it needs to be consistent, otherwise you confuse the user. After all, why list it for one but not the other? Suddenly you think perhaps that means you shouldn't use the loose files here, otherwise it would say, right? etc.

We put the notice at the top so that we don't have to say it again on every mod, that's the consistency.  That text should not be on any mods and appear in the guide only (i.e. not the mod tables).  I just removed one mention of it from Wearable Lanterns's baseline; if you find any other instances please report them.  Thanks for the detailed information thus far, it's greatly appreciated!