v2.2.6 Development

z929669

This Project seems to be almost at a halt. What is the future of STEP?

Actually, the core team is still very well active - just behind the scenes, figuring out what to do next. One thing that's going to happen for sure is that Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited will be merged into STEP over time.
I'm trying to understand exactly what Skyrim Revisited is. Is it just the same thing as step but every conflict is fixed manually? So it should work better than regular step?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to understand exactly what Skyrim Revisited is. Is it just the same thing as step but every conflict is fixed manually? So it should work better than regular step?

It is a spinoff guide from STEP, with a mod list tailored more to the author's prefrences for Skyrim, and also providing detailed instructions for seemingly advanced stuff like mod cleaning and patch making. The approach the author took, however, is very attractive (very easy to follow, eases you into modding), and so will be followed in the core STEP guide.

Core STEP will remain much as it is today, and it should be a relatively simple to follow along with the install (as simple as modding can be mad anyway). Additionally, there will be more flavors of STEP as well as more advanced versions of the STEP Guide(s). We will shortly roll out v2.2.6 minor release, but we are currently planning v3.0.0, which will be a paradigm shift, incorporating much of the excellent work of Neovalen's Skyrim Revisited. This is still in the project-scope phase though and may be preceded by several major releases (i.e., v2.x.x).

We'll post an announcement when the plan is solidified.

thanks

Help with this release!

Additions

Removals

Mod Order Changes

Guide Changes

Help with this release!

For replacers, the test case should be a high-quality screenshot compare. We don't need a lot, just two or three sets of compares on the thread in Mod Suggestions (MS) marked [ TESTING ].

For non-replacers, please head over to MS and read the Announcement. Then go into the testing thread and contribute some test ideas or some of your own test results.

The idea is that testing --and logging of that activity on the threads-- will be touch & go for a lot of mods, and it should be pretty clear by anyone stumbling upon any mod thread what the end result is.

Let us know if you want to be a Mod Tester!

Should be noted that borderless window does not let you use SLI/Crossfire. I remember it took me a while to figure that out last time, ha. 

I use SLI and haven't had an issue.

I think you're right. I think it's just crossfire that doesn't work. Haven't had crossfire in a while though so I can't confirm.
Regarding Borderless Window and those using CrossfireX: can anyone confirm that there are incompatibilities?

As per Neo's comment, should we remove mods (moving them to a future pack) that are actually optional and not needed by all (or almost all) STEP users? This would likely include mods like the Interface Key Mod and Time on Loading Screen mod.

As per Neo's comment' date=' should we remove mods (moving them to a future pack) that are actually optional and not needed by all (or almost all) STEP users? This would likely include mods like the Interface Key Mod and Time on Loading Screen mod.[/quote']

Yes, for post 2.2.6 release though. Just want to update one last time and prepare a message for our upcoming new direction as part of that.

I would lead on the side of yes :) --

Interface Key Mod

Time on Loading Screen

Death Cam options

Simple Crosshair

Those seem the most obvious to me. I would personally argue to get rid of Roosters at Dawn and More Village animals in preference to Skytest. Since it is more stable and does the same things and more. I would also argue to remove Lantern Caretakers for the reason Neo suggested. I have came to the same conclusion.

Edit: AH! You posted as I was typing :P For next update then :)

Interface Key Mod

Time on Loading Screen

Death Cam options

Simple Crosshair

Those seem the most obvious to me. I would personally argue to get rid of Roosters at Dawn and More Village animals in preference to Skytest. Since it is more stable and does the same things and more. I would also argue to remove Lantern Caretakers for the reason Neo suggested. I have came to the same conclusion.

We should remove roosters though for 2.2.6 (and any other problematic mods or 100% redundant mods ... feel free to add thise to the "Removed" secion of the OP).

You guys know more about these than me at this point.

Interface Key Mod

Time on Loading Screen

Death Cam options

Simple Crosshair

I don't quite agree with Neo on Lantern Caretakers. I have seen them a number of times and IMO they improve immersion. Of course, we may decide to change the criteria for what is in core STEP and what is in a pack. If we decide that this mod should be optional there are some other mods I suggest we also consider moving to a future immersion pack (e.g., non-essential children).

The last time I used Skytest it was a very script-heavy and somewhat resource hungry (since it adds a number of animals). Has this changed significantly?