Texture Popping (sorry to be a broken record)

RabidLime

Question

hey all.

so, i wanted to start clean. i re-installed the game, followed the STEP guide to a t, and here i am, great frame rate and awesome game play all-around... except when i'm 50ft from a tree and the texture pops in so abruptly i remember why i stopped playing the game in the first place. 

i've searched for days, finding this thread, but not seeing any real solution or eureka moment. 

i've tried everything: ini tweaks, option tweaks, DDSopt, etc. textures for everything from houses to rocks to trees (most noticeable on trees). i've also used the Texture Pack Combiner to some extent, however the problem persists. 

while the vanilla game doesnwhat i find hardest to believe is that no one else seems to have this problem/mind when STEP is such a benchmark of modding; if it causes breaks like this... why hasn't anyone done something about it?

anywho, off my soapbox. any help or insight would be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

If you want a stable performance then you'll probably have to live with texture popping. Except using higher uGridstoLoad values I have been unable to reduce popping as well. Since that isn't a solution either, because it hurts your performance pretty badly, I'ld say you just keep a lookout on the other skyrim related forums as well. I'ld be interested to hear which ini tweaks you've used.

If you want a stable performance then you'll probably have to live with texture popping. Except using higher uGridstoLoad values I have been unable to reduce popping as well. Since that isn't a solution either because it hurts your performance pretty badly, I'ld say you just keep a lookout on the other skyrim related forums as well. I'ld be interested to hear which ini tweaks you've used.

out and about, so i can't c+p, but it's all the tweaks suggested by STEP (baseline). i used to do 7 ugrids, but the texture popping would just be further away; solved an issue but not the problem. 

i still have a few combinations to try out but i'll keep you posted. and thanks for responding. this seems to be a universal problem yet no one does anything about it. way frustrating.