Lighting, Weather & ENB

statmonster

Question

What lighting and weather mods do you like with SR?

I had been using Cot 2.1 (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17802) with RLO 4.0.7c (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30450) but it was kind of dark at night and in interiors.

I upgraded to CoT 3.0 and RLO but now it looks like CoT has been recalled for bug-stomping so I'm just running RLO.  The nights seem very nice with this - perhaps too bright to be realistic but very pretty.

(CoT 3.0 Winter seemed very nice - I assume it would make for a much tough start using Frostfall and RND as Whiterun, Riften ,etc. would be so much more inhospitable.)

I've also been using Skyrim Project Optimization 1.4.

No ENBs yet, and I'm not sure I want to take the performance hit to include one - plus there seem to be so many options that it's not clear which to choose and which play nicely with which weather and lighting mods.

What are other people using?  How do you like it?

Do you generally use a weather mod (which one?) or the vanilla weather system?

What about for lighting?  ENB?

• Answers 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was looking over the ENB thread (https://enbdev.com/index_en.htm) that Boris Vorontsov maintains to talk about his current projects and thought a few were interesting. One is that it looks like he is moving to supporting DX11 technology and leaving DXC9 & 10 behind. (He writes DX 9/10 will be slower than 11 going forward.) Another is that he thinks he will be able to get around the 3.1 GB issues - at least as far as graphics is concerned - while I won't hold my breath over this it would be a big deal if he can. He also thinks his new ENB series might increase stability and prevent crashes - he's quite clever so let's hope! It looks to be very much a WIP and the new .192 is still in Beta with some issues.

Well first there are the misunderstandings and his not super good english skills. He does say that he can only do so much since it is a 32bit game after all.

But already there are a massive amount of bugs showing up... essentially all textures not vanilla cannot really be used for some strange reason! But we can hope he figures out something to fix that as well in time. For now it is just bug central! ;)

I'm thinking that someone may be able to build a controlled method of purging the cell buffer with an extension. Think of it as using pcb in the console without having to do it yourself. I'm not sure if you can request data from the cell buffer on size, but if you can then when it hits a certain percentage of it's max just purge it and boom you're good. It isn't a perfect idea, though we are still just now getting a handle on where this problem actually occurs. I'm sure someone will figure something out.

Can you help, or explain how I can do that?

I really like ENB, but in some area's I have to shut it off because my vram can't take it. Is there a console command to shut ENB on and off?

I'm also considering to use ULO instead of ENB, but ENB works fine in most area's.

Shift-Enter opens the ingame GUI of ENB. Then at the top there is an entry called Effect. Turn this off and ENB will be disabled until you activate it again.

Also if you disable Depth of Field or use dynavision and also disable skylighting then you get pretty good performance on most presets, with very little visual loss.

Other then that then you will also be able to see all the variables in the GUI that has a "low, medium, high" name in green attached. Reduce those to low and, press save, and restart the game and you will get better performance as well.

If that is still not enough then under SSAO/SILL and Reflection there are two variables "Sizescale" and "SourceTextureScale" reduce these to about 0.4 if they are higher. This needs to be done in the enbseries.ini in notepad out of the game. Also Skylighting can only be disabled this way if it is enabled.

Once you have done that then most presets will not require silly amounts of performance, and still look mostly like the author intended.

There are more you can do but that should be the most general of it.

Shift-Enter opens the ingame GUI of ENB. Then at the top there is an entry called Effect. Turn this off and ENB will be disabled until you activate it again.

Also if you disable Depth of Field or use dynavision and also disable skylighting then you get pretty good performance on most presets, with very little visual loss.

Other then that then you will also be able to see all the variables in the GUI that has a "low, medium, high" name in green attached. Reduce those to low and, press save, and restart the game and you will get better performance as well.

If that is still not enough then under SSAO/SILL and Reflection there are two variables "Sizescale" and "SourceTextureScale" reduce these to about 0.4 if they are higher. This needs to be done in the enbseries.ini in notepad out of the game. Also Skylighting can only be disabled this way if it is enabled.

Once you have done that then most presets will not require silly amounts of performance, and still look mostly like the author intended.

There are more you can do but that should be the most general of it.

Thanks. I only have one problem, shift-enter doesn't work... :(

I use the ENB manager.

Do you get the yellow letters in the main menu saying that ENB is enabled at all ?

It should also say that shift enter is the way to open it.

No, but I can see the difference ingame when I enable it in enb manager

Do you get the yellow letters in the main menu saying that ENB is enabled at all ?

Can you enable/disable ENB in game by pressing Shift+F12?

Can you enable/disable ENB in game by pressing Shift+F12?

I did something wrong installing ENB, it is now working properly.

My nights became a lot darker, can I lighten those up a little bit?