texture aliasing solutions?

haelfix

Question

One of the really annoying facts about using STEP and Skyrim Revisited is that your eye starts getting attuned to little imperfections.  Currently the one that is really bothering me is texture aliasing (texture swimming) etc.  This is particularly acute when using Vurt's flora mod, as well as when you look at textures that have very small meshes like the farm gates around Riverrun.

I am much less bothered by jaggies on objects than what this is currently doing.  I am currently at max resolution, and using an ENB + SMAA solution, and I have used DDSOPT to properly remip most textures.  However I still find this decidedly suboptimal and would love to burn silicon and fps to remedy the problem.

I have an Nvidia 680 card, but I am not used to the variety of antialiasing measures at my disposal in Nvidia Inspector.  Which ones should I use to remedy this effect in particular.  I really am less bothered by edge jaggies, and much more by this.

Thoughts?

5 answers to this question

Since you're using an ENB, you won't be able to use the NVIDIA AA options in the drivers as they aren't compatible with ENBs unless you are using ENBSeries v0.119 or older.

First:

A screenshot would really be help to know exactly what you are referring to.

Second:

Have you turned up the SMAA to max in the injector.ini file? Open the file and use the "Ultra" preset, I think the default is "High".

I've actually stayed with skyrealism .119 for precisely that reason, and this won't show up in a screenshot unfortunately.  You have to see it in motion.  Texture aliasing is like a crawling/shimmering sensation and relatively common in gfx.  I just don't know how to deal with it with modern nvidia antialiasing.  In the old days, we simply supersampled everything until we were happy.  I thought that perhaps some of the newer transparency aliasing might help, but I don't really understand those settings, those methods or the post processing antialiasing either.

So for instance, the very fine leaves in Vurt's overhaul will look like they're crawling in the wind as they drop down below one pixel in size.   Anyway, i'll look to see if I am maxed with SMAA but I think so.

Ok, I found what the problem was.  One of my MO profiles had a ini setting that was keeping transparency antialiasing off.  Setting it to 4  has drastically reduced the crawling.  SMAA to ultra also helped  a little.

My error was that I thought the inspector settings would automatically override the ini settings, but I guess they do not.  Its still application controlled, at least with the guide settings.

Ok, I found what the problem was.  One of my MO profiles had a ini setting that was keeping transparency antialiasing off.  Setting it to 4  has drastically reduced the crawling.  SMAA to ultra also helped  a little.

Which ini setting was that?