Roadsigns Redone (by Hanna)

WilliamImm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, WilliamImm. I'm with you on this one.

I applaud STEP's determination to go after things that are "realistic" and/or vanilla, but in terms of actual use:

I don't think the users in this topic who speak out against Roadsigns Redone actually look at roadsides.

There it is: The call out.

STEP's recommendation is absolute garbage if you actually use roadsigns.

Yeah, it'd obviously be better if this one was more weathered. But [barely] "Legible" Road Signs are painful to actually look at in-game. Like, legitimate eye-strain type of painful.

You guys can keep your faux-realism. I'll be happy with something that doesn't hurt my eyes.

I don't think the users in this topic who speak out against Roadsigns Redone actually look at roadsides.

Actually I use the roadsigns quite often, in fact rather than look at the map I'll use the roadsigns to find my way to the cities and do my best to follow the roadsigns towards the direction I know a quest dungeon to be in and then use the compass to get my bearings, and only using the map if I am totally stumped (or for bug reporting and testing purposes).

Anyways STEP is about improving vanilla and this is not a Vanilla improvement or something the game was missing, this mod changes the color and shape of the signs. Pack makers are free to tell users to nix Legible roadsigns in favour of this mod. STEP's recommendation however is not to use this mod.

:lol:

I look at road signs in game all of the time. Vanilla road signs are a decent representation and a great fit in the context of the Skyrim setting and art (if not "faux" realism). Legible is a slight difference, but arguably a mild improvement.

Roadsigns Redone is a complete overhaul, and the textures do not match the rest of the game.

All vanilla needs is perhaps some mesh fixes and slightly higher res textures. The illegibility and disrepair are elegant subtleties, IMO (hats off to Bethesda game artists)

All vanilla needs is perhaps some mesh fixes and slightly higher res textures.

If Static Mesh Improvement included road signs that would be amazing!
*starts muttering a chant while preparing a summoning circle*

"OH GREAT BRUMBEK I BESEECH THEE!"

+1

Would be magnificent, indeed!

Actually I use the roadsigns quite often, in fact rather than look at the map I'll use the roadsigns to find my way to the cities and do my best to follow the roadsigns towards the direction I know a quest dungeon to be in and then use the compass to get my bearings, and only using the map if I am totally stumped (or for bug reporting and testing purposes).

Anyways STEP is about improving vanilla and this is not a Vanilla improvement or something the game was missing, this mod changes the color and shape of the signs. Pack makers are free to tell users to nix Legible roadsigns in favour of this mod. STEP's recommendation however is not to use this mod.

:lol:

I look at road signs in game all of the time. Vanilla road signs are a decent representation and a great fit in the context of the Skyrim setting and art (if not "faux" realism). Legible is a slight difference, but arguably a mild improvement.

Roadsigns Redone is a complete overhaul, and the textures do not match the rest of the game.

All vanilla needs is perhaps some mesh fixes and slightly higher res textures. The illegibility and disrepair are elegant subtleties, IMO (hats off to Bethesda game artists)

That is exactly one of the reasons why i prefer vanilla/legible over Redone. Roadsigns redone changes to much from vanilla and stand out way to much from the surrounding textures. Almost acting like a big neon sign.

In this case I would actually say that vanilla is on to something better then the other two. They just look too much like letters have been glued on.

The lettering would most likely never be paint, but burned into the wood to ensure maximum longevity. Perhaps add a bit of moss to it for good measure. Hence there should not be any white at all... but that is just what I hope to one day see. Perhaps if I ever get the time I will make one that has that feature.

But other then that then I agree with what is mainly the consensus... vanilla legible for core, and redone for something else.

In this case I would actually say that vanilla is on to something better then the other two. They just look too much like letters have been glued on.

The lettering would most likely never be paint, but burned into the wood to ensure maximum longevity. Perhaps add a bit of moss to it for good measure. Hence there should not be any white at all... but that is just what I hope to one day see. Perhaps if I ever get the time I will make one that has that feature.

But other then that then I agree with what is mainly the consensus... vanilla legible for core, and redone for something else.

I would buy that version ;)

All right, I'll concede defeat for now.

Only thing I ask is that we remain objective if Hanaisse comes back and does a weathered version. Because, like I all ready said: I agree, the road signs being so sterile IS ridiculous and silly. But compared to the alternative... I'll just pretend Sheogorath got bored and decided to liven up Skyrim's road signs. XD

Also, something cryptic:

Look at the downloads from HiRes Legible Road Signs compared to what STEP recommends. :whistling:

For reference, look at STEP recommendations for these:

Dragon Glyphs HD

Chiseled

Detailed Chests

Washed-out dirty

Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons

Booze v2 Non-Glow

SPOILER:

Legible Road Signs is the only one among those with such a high and distinct disparity between STEP recommendation and what the majority did. Although admittedly, Legible's release probably had a lot to do with what people chose since there weren't that many downloads (edit: meaning stuff available on the nexus. mods, textures, literally: et al) to choose from at the time.

If anyone does another version of the roadsigns; having the letters etched/carved into the wood would be most appropriate, as opposed to "burning" the text in.

Also Sairven to do a spoiler button tag the code is.

your text here[^/spoiler]

You would remove the ^ and it would work correctly, I added it so it wouldn't actually make one so you could read it.

I'll have to remember that for the future.

Also: I've been learning how to make mods (and fiddle with Papyrus) recently, and an idea I have requires me to learn how to do textures and meshes. I might try this Roadsign thing in the next few weeks as a practice sort of thing and let you all criticize it from Oblivion to Sovengard and back.

:devil: Although there most certainly will be a neon sign optional.:devil:

Neon sounds great and perhaps you could add some music tags so when you look at the sign for Riverwood, you get happy music but for Solitude you get the "Empire" theme from Star Wars (though more appropriate for the Thalmor really) as Skyrims imperials are cuddly really.

:)

Neon sounds great and perhaps you could add some music tags so when you look at the sign for Riverwood, you get happy music but for Solitude you get the "Empire" theme from Star Wars (though more appropriate for the Thalmor really) as Skyrims imperials are cuddly really.

:)

Haha, that'd be awesome. And great for modding experience, too. And for fun. And.. and.. and.. YES!