Lighting doesn't travel far

HerkBot91

Hey Step Forums,

First time posting so apologies if I break any rules.

I just finished the Step 2.2 guide for Skyrim SE AE 1.6 (first off thanks, the guide is top notch and overall I love the mod choices). I have encountered an issue with lighting I think. It seems like interior light doesn't 'travel' or cast past the source. I made an imgur album (https://imgur.com/gallery/rX9ilEO), I tried to attach the screenshots here but they were too large. You can see that the interior lights on the left aren't casting to the wall on the right leaving it dark. If I drop a torch the light only casts a few feet before disappearing. similar thing if I hold one. The Candlelight spell on the other hand makes everything very illuminated.

I tried adjusting the cathedral climates to lighter but it didn't change much, and if I put it too far than light sources are SUPER blown out and blinding.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for being a bother.

1 hour ago, HerkBot91 said:

Hey Step Forums,

First time posting so apologies if I break any rules.

I just finished the Step 2.2 guide for Skyrim SE AE 1.6 (first off thanks, the guide is top notch and overall I love the mod choices). I have encountered an issue with lighting I think. It seems like interior light doesn't 'travel' or cast past the source. I made an imgur album (https://imgur.com/gallery/rX9ilEO), I tried to attach the screenshots here but they were too large. You can see that the interior lights on the left aren't casting to the wall on the right leaving it dark. If I drop a torch the light only casts a few feet before disappearing. similar thing if I hold one. The Candlelight spell on the other hand makes everything very illuminated.

I tried adjusting the cathedral climates to lighter but it didn't change much, and if I put it too far than light sources are SUPER blown out and blinding.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for being a bother.

I don't know what's what in those images. Open the images in Paint.net or similar and change the resolution to something like 1920x1080 and save as JPG so that you can upload and annotate them. They are probably PNG, BMP, or TIFF.

Include an image with/without torch and with/without ENB (use Ctrl+F12 to toggle ENB off/on).

Also, please share the exact location on the map so someone can test.

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

I don't know what's what in those images. Open the images in Paint.net or similar and change the resolution to something like 1920x1080 and save as JPG so that you can upload and annotate them. They are probably PNG, BMP, or TIFF.

Include an image with/without torch and with/without ENB (use Ctrl+F12 to toggle ENB off/on).

Also, please share the exact location on the map so someone can test.

Hey z929669,

I am still taking a look at the issue, I believe its related to the fact that I only have the free Skryim AE CC content and not the paid $20 upgrade. I tried searching this forum for if there's a version of the guide or steps to follow that support removing/not having the paid CC content, but could not find anything.

Because I don't have the CC content it looks like the step patches are not working, and this is leading to a number of graphical bugs (again, my fault not the guides). I am going to see if I can figure anything out while I wait for the AE upgrade to go on sale. I also need to figure out a way to patch in the CC content without having to redo step... I hope.

Thanks for the quick response, and if I come up with anything I will post here

12 minutes ago, HerkBot91 said:

Hey z929669,

I am still taking a look at the issue, I believe its related to the fact that I only have the free Skryim AE CC content and not the paid $20 upgrade. I tried searching this forum for if there's a version of the guide or steps to follow that support removing/not having the paid CC content, but could not find anything.

Because I don't have the CC content it looks like the step patches are not working, and this is leading to a number of graphical bugs (again, my fault not the guides). I am going to see if I can figure anything out while I wait for the AE upgrade to go on sale. I also need to figure out a way to patch in the CC content without having to redo step... I hope.

Thanks for the quick response, and if I come up with anything I will post here

Correct. As stated at the top of our SSE guides, the AU is a hard requirement. I'm surprised, because you should not even be able to launch the game without crashing, since many CC mods are masters to our patches.