SMAA Injector not working

Thc002

Question

Hi,

I cant seem to get SMAA Injector to work in Skyrim anymore, since one of the latest Steam updates (?). I have placed all files from the smaa-zip in my Skyrim folder and start skse via the Skyrim Performance Monitor.

I dont use any ENBs or other mods that make use of a d3d9.dll. Hitting the pause key ingame (keybind for toggling SMAA) has no effect at all.

I play with 4xSMAA +4xSGSSAA and quality SSAO on a 670ftw if that helps.

ty

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The comparison images arent taken from exactly the same place so im finding it difficult to compare one to the other.

My companion kept bumping in to me but it is almost the same place. Check the building straight ahead. I think it is the companions building (it has a horse head on the roof). It has a beam or log  on the roof which shows jagged edges when no AA is used. Also check the stairs to the left.

Edit: Pic 1-4 looks the same since forcing AA through Catalyst control center didn't work. Picture 4 and 5 looks the same to me. They show MSAA 4x and 8x using settings in skyrim launcher/skyrimprefs.

Picture 6-10 shows different AA combinations while using ENB. I see big no difference from Edge AA and SMAA. Picture 11 just shows that MSAA doesn't work while using ENB. This is maybe only true for amd cards?

Picture 6-10 shows different AA combinations while using ENB. I see big no difference from Edge AA and SMAA. Picture 11 just shows that MSAA doesn't work while using ENB. This is maybe only true for amd cards?

Edge AA via ENB provides a result in a similar fashion to FXAA. It is great from a performance standpoint, but comes with some blurriness.

AA via launcher or forced through drivers will not work with any card (AMD or NVIDIA) when used with an ENB installed. This is a limitation in Windows and the DLL files used for both the game and ENB.

Edge AA via ENB provides a result in a similar fashion to FXAA. It is great from a performance standpoint, but comes with some blurriness.

AA via launcher or forced through drivers will not work with any card (AMD or NVIDIA) when used with an ENB installed. This is a limitation in Windows and the DLL files used for both the game and ENB.

This is the case with any version of ENBseries? So what do you use for AA? SMAA forced through the ENB? Are you sure that launcher/driver AA doesn't work with ENB? It looks like it does work to me. I'm forcing 4xSSAA from the launcher/drivers and it looks good to me. 

I have a suggestion. I think you should have a wiki page dedicated to only AA with ENB and you should explain all this.

This is the case for any updated ENB using ENBSeries later than v0.119. Any ENB still using v0.119 can still used hardware AA. This can be added to the ENB Guide on the wiki.

We should get back to the original question... Why isn't SMAA working for some users. For those user, please post exactly what you are using for SMAA and a screenshot of your Skyrim Directory would be helpful as well.

ENB users should be following this guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/ENB_Choices#tab=SMAA

Non-ENB users can still use the SMAA linked in the guide: https://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

What wiki are you referring to? Certainly not ours....unless someone has made some changes since the last time I looked at them our wiki never says to use that combination.

The Edge AA and SMAA can be stacked (used together) as far as I know. I've never tried it though. I also don't know how much VRAM it would save by using SMAA over other methods. I've never made those measurements before. Feel free to do so yourself though and report your findings.

I am rather confused by multiple conflicting sources in this thread.  Also its not clear to me that using more VRAM from an ENB is necessarily a bad thing either, it shouldn't affect engine and CTD performance for those of us with 4gb cards.

So once and for all, can we stack an ENB+SMAA with either ini msaa or driver AA?

Haelfix, you should not be able to do so, no. This is because of how Boris has written the code for ENBSeries later than v0.119. If anyone would read, it says it right there on Boris's Web site. There have been a few reports that you can set your drivers to "override" and still be able to use driver AA with ENB; however, the admin/moderator/tester's attempts to test this have failed.

From this point out if you have questions like this, please test it yourself before running here asking or use the search feature of the forum. We've done the testing and our findings are inconclusive to some user's findings. So, test test test and report back with your own findings to help out.

This thread has been completely hi-jacked from the original post. I'll be splitting it when I get on a better Internet connection...or if Torminater or another admin/mod can split it please do so. Mods, just split the off-topic posts and discussions to another thread so they can be continued to being discussed and so this thread can be refocused to its original intent. Thanks!