Hunterborn

ath3nos

This looks like a neat little mod which requires you to skin, dress and butcher animals in order to harvest any loot from them. This also requires a hunting knife. I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow. The author says that all features are there and is looking for people to test for bugs but he claims it is not a work in progress, just bug fixing at this point if any are discovered.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33201

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I use Hunterborn. Great little mod, works very well with Realistic Needs and Diseases (Includes a patch for it during install). Should work very well with Frostfall too though I'm not using that at the moment. It adds a couple of shout type effects. Forage and Scrimshaw.

Foraging lets you find things like edible mushrooms, ingredients etc. You can also forage a sharp rock, which you need to start down the path of scrimshaw. Scrimshaw is the art of bone carving. You can harvest different types of bone from animals and use them to make items like bone hunting knives and a variety of amulets that have small bonuses to attributes. My favourite is an amulet that gives night vision. Very handy as I use RLO and have pretty dark dungeons.

You can increases all the skills such as skinning pelts, butchering meat etc. At first skinning pelts will only give you ruined and poor pelts which you can only use for leather strips. As your skill increases the quality of the pelts increases. You also gain more meat from butchering as your skill increases. The default settings do give you rather a lot of meat but it's supposed to be realistic (imagine how much meat you'd get from a fully grown Elk!).

All settings can be tweaked via MCM. You can enable "Monster Hunter" which adds things like Spiders and Chaurus to the things you can hunt. You can also buthcer dragons for their meat if you wish. Loads of new recipes to make use of all the meat too. It works great with RND. Hunt an Elk, skin it, butcher it. Drop a tinderbox and make a fire with a cooking pot to make a meal. Drop a tent with bedroll to sleep it off. I love it :-)

I've been using it for a while now and it's pretty good.

It is incompatible with Moonlight Tales as Werebears inexplicably turn into Werewolves when you go to loot them. But on the Monster Hunter section, Werewolves are a category you can turn off. It also has its own version of Werewolf Blood that is separate from Moonlight Tales.

I also turned off the Monster Hunter part for Dragons, since all that does is enable you to forage more bones and scales. I may turn it back on though as it does allow you to dispose of all dead animals and monsters and Dragon Combat Overhaul causes dead dragons to drop on top of you.

• 2 months later...

Howdy! Mod author here. Would this post or elsewhere on this forum be an appropriate place to dump technical details on how to patch various parts of Hunterborn?

I've retired from active work on the mod, but I can appreciate that its complexity would make it prohibitive to just dive in and try to figure out how to craft a patch such as for Dragonborn, so I'm willing to help out if someone else wants to pick up where I'm leaving off.

I've been using Hunterborn for a couple months along with Frostfall, RnD, and "Hunting in Skyrim". There are a few gotchas for Hunting in Skyrim but they're detailed on that mod's description page.

Hunterborn just had a big update last week I think. The upgrade process required a clean save which loses all your skinning and foraging experience. Not a problem for me since I'm only level 7.

I wonder if this mod is really suited to Ranger/Hunter type players but not really for others. The extra detail with new challenges and rewards fro Rangers might really make it more immersive to play that sort of character.

But is it all too much for characters where hunting will only be a peripheral concern? Of course the idea that a player should be a Jack of All trades yet competent to skilled at everything is a bit absurd from a realism POV and someone with little experience hunting and skinning animals would almost certainly just buy leather from a merchant rather than occasionally hunt an elk when he needed a bit of leather.

Howdy! Mod author here. Would this post or elsewhere on this forum be an appropriate place to dump technical details on how to patch various parts of Hunterborn?

I've retired from active work on the mod, but I can appreciate that its complexity would make it prohibitive to just dive in and try to figure out how to craft a patch such as for Dragonborn, so I'm willing to help out if someone else wants to pick up where I'm leaving off.

Hi there. Welcome to STEP forums :) This thread will be fine for those details, we can track it here.

If you message z929669 on Nexus to confirm your identity, you'll get a nice Mod Author badge here on STEP :)

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the author saying he has retired from modding, another update is up :D

* BUGFIX: Small game (mudcrab, hares) not working (bad index shift from reserved spot for boars)

* BUGFIX: SkyRe QL recipes prompt kept appearing

* BUGFIX: Pelt values could not be changed from MCM (because of Flawless)

* BUGFIX: Vale animals were not providing any loot

* BUGFIX: Foraging in the Vale (and endless script loop)

* Added MCM option to re-run init scripts

* Added a few extra bone bits recipes (superb and drained bones)

* Lots more tracing in Papyrus log

* Ebony and Daedric knives have skinning bonus 30

* Knife with 30+ now needed to skin a Flawless