Good Performance Hunting

+1' date=' even better :woot: I have a 2x RAID0 config (with partitions), so effectively only 2 drives. I'd like to get an teeny-tiny SSD for #2 above. Actually, I'd like 3 SSDs, but my mobo only supports 3 Gb/s theoretical transfer rate (I assume my board supports SSD natively or with BIOS update). This is still a very fast transfer rate, but I assume that it referrs to the entire BUS and not each SATA port. Any input on 3 Gb/s transfer rate & SSD, Fri?

SATA bandwidth is per controller, but most mobo's have one controller. And even with a fast SSD, it's highly unlikely you'll be saturating it. Very few applications are going to need anywhere near that amount of data throughput.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there no mod that dynamically controls view distances? I seem to remember things that did that for oblivion and Morrowind. Have it had high settings and if fps drops to 15 (for example) the view distances will lower to medium settings and switch back once the fps starts rising again (meaning the stressful scene is probably gone)? I would definitely use a mod like that for sure. It doesn't have to be exactly as I described it of course, just the concept...

Yes there is a mod that does this, its designed for very low power computers and dynamically alters the ini settings in order to keep your fps 32+ it has a huge quality cost though, your better off tuning your system manually and removing mods that slow your fps.

Sounds like a driver issue. More specifically, Nvidia needs to create an SLI application profile that plays nicely with Skyrim. Perhaps another version of the Nvidia drivers address SLI/Skyrim?

ATI does this ;)

• 1 year later...

EDIT: The missing contents of this post are being added to the DDSopt Guide now on the Wiki .

I found an interesting result with regard to fir trees and foliage in general. More specifically, mid-long range foliage in general: DDSopt corrects mip maps that are not scaling properly in the vanilla textures. Notice that in the Riverwood images (above) and in the following, the mod-long-distance trees are bushier and softer in the standard textures and more crisp and bristly in the DDSopt'ed versions. I am guessing that this is a correction, because the tree in the foreground of the following images is identical, but only in the DDSopt'ed version do the mid-long firs match the close up. Similarly, I like the DDSopt'ed stonework in Windhelm better than the standard (see above).

In general, DDSopt'ed textures look comparable, and in many cases better than standard. Additionally, there is a respectable performance boost in terms of VRAM using these settings (which are what I used in the processes described above):
Performance Change Summary (Standard Vanilla Textures --> DDSopt'ed Vanilla Textures)

• 3.3% VRAM increase (Hi rig) UPDATE--> Adding Skyrim HD1k to the mix boosts this up to 5.0% VRAM increase
  • 5.0% VRAM increase (Lo rig)
  • 0% net FPS boost (Hi & Lo rigs)
  • 0.8% GPU Load decrease (Hi rig)
  • 1.2% GPU Load increase (Lo rig)
I venture to guess that these performance boosts will accumulate with application to other less-than-optimized texture mods used in STEP.
Know this is Old but my question arises from the Edit not original post and I got here from a link in SRO Mod topic about the missing content

The missing Contents of this post are being added to Wiki ?!

Why remove contents of post ?

Adding them to the Wiki does not require removal from post this makes no sense