Infinite Loading Screen in Whiterun

Galahad

Question

I got a problem with my STEP setup. im early in the game, traveled to whiterun, entered dragon reach to talk to the jarl about those guards for riverrun. Cant leave anymore (neither through to main entrance  nor through the jarls quaters, because when i try to enter whiterun, the loading screen just never stops. dont think its a load order problem or something like this. read somewhere in the internet that i happens when you have tweaked your Map. But i didnt edit the map, so that cant be it.

Anyone has/had similiar problems? anyone got a solution?

Thank you. The problem was indeed related to the z-fighting fix suggested by STEP.

Here are the values i use now, working flawlessly (besides minor z-fighting on the mountains seen from whiterun).

Under TerrainManager in skypref.ini

fTreeLoadDistance=60000.0000

fBlockMaximumDistance=350000.0000

fBlockLevel1Distance=100000.0000

fBlockLevel0Distance=60000.0000

fSplitDistanceMult=4.0000

EDIT: Deleted a 0 in the fBlockLevel1Distance. Correct is a value of: 100000.0000

yes and yes. i reduced it even further down, and the infinite loading screen issue is gone. there is some noticable z-flickering flickering on the mountains far off, but thats a small tradeoff for being able to play smoothly. try it, my current settings:

fTreeLoadDistance=55000.0000

fBlockMaximumDistance=300000.0000

fBlockLevel1Distance=100000.0000

fBlockLevel0Distance=55000.0000

fSplitDistanceMult=4.0000

It's when I load a particular save (exterior of Falkreath) without loading another one beforehand, so I think it's just a weird fluke. I haven't tried removing any mods but if I ever bother to diagnose it I will.

telling you, its the damn z-fighting values. :) at least for me it was. and it kinda all makes sense to me: what those z-fighting tweaks do (as far as i understand) is to load LODs of far away regions. so when you leave Falkreath, Skyrim tries to load all the exterior landscape, objects, LODs and so on. So i guess this is where SSD or Video Memory or something comes in. If you have a fast enough system, than it seems to work. But if you have a mid-range rig, like i do, without SSD and only 1 gb of video memory, plus massiev amount of mods, than skyrim seems to get problems with the amount of memory needed to load in all those landscapes.

Thus deinstalling Distand LOD Mods, Map Tweaks, and Z-Fighting Ini tweaking is likely the reason for infinite loading screens. therefor i would recommend that STEP includes a warning in the section with the z-fighting guide. cause for me it was definite those ini values.

Then why do people get infini loads entering an interior room? Apparently the largeref tweak is "bad" as well for people with mid-end rigs. Everybody has to take in to consideration that every single step in step is improving the quality of his game whilst hurting his performance/stability. I uninstalled all mods from step at once and cannot load a single save I made with STEP without CTD on loading screen, but since I know this can happen, I don't blame step for being bad, but come to realize that I need to use my own brains when modding.

i wasn't and will never blame step for any of the trouble it gives me to mod skyrim. i love step, and follow it since day 1 (actually it was day 7 after the first release on nexus if my endorsement can be believed). and concerning the brain. well. brains are overrated anyway. 

ad topic. yeah, i dont use the interior tweak neither.