(Seeking help) rare bug where SKSE disables all mods when launched via MO

Okay so very simple, when I launch SKSE from MO it disables all my mods.

So, if I launch the game normally, either vanilla or MO, (Via skyrim launcher or SkyrimSE.exe) all the mods are present if I launch the game from MO, and none are if I launch from steam. Both will display the incorrect SKSE 0.0.00 thing (as I’m not launching from SKSE.)

Now, if I do launch the game from SKSE via MO, literally all my mods get disabled (I have over 400) though they are enabled and fully functional (save for any SKSE dependent mods) when not launched via SKSE in MO2. So it’s very frustrating sitting there trying to solve the problem, either by enabling all my mods just for them to, you know, get disabled again when I quit to reorganize the loading order with LOOT, or trying to troubleshoot the cause of this.

Now, I’ve tried to do several solutions: Launch (SKSE) from the \Data folder of Skyrim (turned out quite badly so I removed that parameter), reinstall address library (nothing), and finally removing any mod lists that I downloaded via WabbaJack (probably unrelated but I tried) but all these ended up with nothing changing.

So, I’m very stumped at this. Can someone help?

FOR REFERENCE

SKSE version 2.2.X (forgot 2 or 3), skyrim AE 1.6.640

my SKSE and every other tool is put in the actual game folder because I am a noob (and also I try to ensure that my game doesn’t crash).

if you wish (or if it helps) I can copy my load order and put it here. For now, if anyone is able to help me out, I’d gladly appreciate it.

Edited by SireHalo

1 hour ago, easyrider1988 said:

How exactly did you install SKSE? Skse64_loader.exe and DLL files should be in the root folder where Skyrim.exe is, not in Data folder.

I installed it in the root folder, just simply tried to “launch” it using MO2 via data to see how it would fare. Not great.
(all files are in the root folder)

Please describe in details the process by which you make the problem occur, step by step, preferably using short sentences. Also describe specifically the things that are enabled before: where they are enabled, how they are enabled. Describe specifically how you determine they are disabled after. Ideally, provide before/after screenshots instead of a text description.

The better you can describe the problem, the better we can help you.

18 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Please describe in details the process by which you make the problem occur, step by step, preferably using short sentences. Also describe specifically the things that are enabled before: where they are enabled, how they are enabled. Describe specifically how you determine they are disabled after. Ideally, provide before/after screenshots instead of a text description.

The better you can describe the problem, the better we can help you.

Okay it’s solved but I’m not sure how exactly, but I’ll detail what I did to cause the bug in the first place. so, I:

1) launched SKSE from another mod organizer instance downloaded from wabbajack, unaware it had the option “use application shortcut….” Checked. 

2) the akyrim instance refused to load for some reason, and then just quit on it’s own. So I closed that instance of mod organizer and went back to the original main mod list I have and launched the SKSE in the main MO. That was when I realized SKSE when launched, disabled all mods.

(Attempts at fixing the problem are stated above. I have made sure, during this period, that the path of SKSE and mod organizer correctly points to the game I wish to launch)

3) Yet after installing SKSE engine fixes part 2 (I had part 1 disabled), for some unknown reason SKSE would launch with mods enabled again.

Yet, a crucial issue remains:

Previously if I launch SKSE with mods enabled and started a new game, it would detect I have mods enabled and state “mods are currently enabled” under “start a new game” after pressing on “NEW”. Yet now, even if I have mods enabled (and checked in Skyrim mod list), the warning that “mods are currently enabled” has disappeared, and I wonder if it can lead to potential bugs in the future. (All mods are enabled and nothing is missing when loading into old saves)

It sounds like you have possibly multiple portable instances of MO or an instanced local version and a portable one from Wabbajack.

I'm honestly not following, so I'm inclined to point you to our guide to establish a clean config/env rather than attempting to comprehend/resolve a one-off use case.

Sorry but I honestly don't understand your description and I have no clue of what you're talking about. If I had telepathic powers I'd be able to know what you're doing and what you're seeing, unfortunately that's not the case.

I very much doubt there's a "bug" anywhere. It's more likely you're using things in ways that are not intended, and/or there is a misunderstanding of how these things are supposed to work. I'm unable to infer what those "things" are from your very confusing, vague and incomplete description.

Note 1: DO NOT use or rely on the Mods menu in Skyrim's Main Menu when using a mod manager. It's unreliable, meaningless and will cause problems in that case, ignore it.

Note 2: Skyrim never displays the message "mods are currently enabled". This message does not exist. Skyrim can display the message "Mods are currently loaded. Note: Achievements are disabled. Do you wish to continue?"

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...