Updating bigger mods like SFO

Do you folks follow any special procedure, when updating bigger mods like vurts flora overhaul? As "clean saves" have a bad repute for some time now, Im really not sure what to do to get the latest versions with as little threat for my savegame as possible.

A mod that adds textures is safe to upgrade without clean saves. Where you want to watch out is mods that use scripts to track or trigger events or stats. For STEP the best example could be Auto Unequip Ammo which has an update procedure on it's nexus page. The large texture mods can just be overwritten and they will not corrupt your save games.

You want to follow the directions on the site of mods like that.

The general procedure is to start skyrim->open console->type 'stopquest AUA' (it's AUA for Auto Unequip Ammo, but different for each mod, probably listed on the mod page or the readme)->save game and exit skyrim->remove old version and install new version->start skyrim->save again just to be safe.

It's probably a good idea to check if you need to do this for mods ahead of installing them so you know what you are getting into. It's very easy to forget this procedure if you have a bunch of mods that require you to do a bunch of stuff to upgrade. I have ton of ruined saves from using the follower's mods and not uninstalling properly.

SFO is a texture mod so updating is okay, if you are using a mod manager then just uninstall the current version, install the new version. SFO doesn't have any special directions. Don't try this stuff manually, leave that for people that hate life.

No, but SFO is, there are some texture mods that get weird like Enhanced Blood Textures because it is both textures and blood effects that use scripts. It is a pain keeping track of each mod but once you know how to do it and for which mods, it gets easier. I've never had any problem updating EBT, even if I don't follow the procedure on the mod's site, but I don't recommend that for anyone to attempt. It's up to you.

It's safe if there is no esp otherwise get some advice if you aren't totally sure.

so texture mods are always okay to update' date=' whether they come with an esp or not?[/quote']

That really depends on the mod.  Most of the time yes, but you should still skim the description page when updating any mod with an ESP.  The reason you can for SFO is because there aren't any scripts running, all SFO's ESP does is place trees so even if the ESP changes all it will change is the position of some foliage.