1.6.640, mod updates and the SSE guide

Juniperiia

Question

Hello there

I just started trying to find the best way to mod my game to keep it fresh and so on. I found the Step Skyrim Special Edition v2.1 guide on here and was like that's exactly what I was looking for. Did a fresh install of the game and started setting it all up when I noticed that of the first few Extensions that are required / recommended 3 didn't work because they were out of date. I then looked it up and saw that the game had received two updates in the last 3 or 4 weeks and now I'm asking myself if there is a way to get the most recent version of game modded properly or if there is a way to roll those updates back and play on a slightly out of date version of the game that is being fully supported by the mods.

I didn't look much further in the modlist to see how many were affected, but given that out of the 7 or 8 extensions 3 didn't work definitely took some of my motivation.

Should I wait until the mods are all updated? Should I wait until there is a new guide for the latest version? Should I try to roll back and follow the guide that way? Or is it only those 3 mods that don't work and I should continue on with the modding and leave the ones that don't work to the side for now?

I did look for exactly a guide like the one on here, because it is nearly complete and is essentially a complete overhaul of the vanilla experience which is kind of what I wanted to get to..

But yeah any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Cheers ^^

6 answers to this question

There are only 3 outdated mods: crash logger, bug fixes sse and scrambled bugs, it's safe to disable them for now. For me personally I don't care about crash logger, but I'm really bugged about bug fixes sse and scrambled bugs because those two fix some serious stuff and it pains me every day to wake up and see that they are still not updated.

4 minutes ago, Jimmyflow said:

Is downgrading a hard requirement?  If not or even if so, what are the pro / cons of not upgrading at the moment?  This just seems to be a lot of work... 

No, we don't downgrade ourselves or recommend it to others. It's an option that is unfortunately recommended by mod authors that don't feel like updating their mods when the game is updated.

That said, there are topics around here on how to do it, but it's a double-edged blade: downgrade today, and tomorrow all the mods you like get updated. Now your game is again incompatible or stuck in an irrelevant state.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, z929669 said:

No, we don't downgrade ourselves or recommend it to others. It's an option that is unfortunately recommended by mod authors that don't feel like updating their mods when the game is updated.

That said, there are topics around here on how to do it, but it's a double-edged blade: downgrade today, and tomorrow all the mods you like get updated. Now your game is again incompatible or stuck in an irrelevant state.

Thanks for the quick response!  So, for the STEP SSE Guide, many of the mods are unchecked via MO2 because they're not updated.  Is there a simple solution or recommendation to this?  What's the harm to my game?  I know generally speaking, mods that are not updated may break the game with some exceptions for minor updates.  

Cheers!

J

Edited by Jimmyflow
Fixed a misspelled word

5 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

There are only 3 outdated mods: crash logger, bug fixes sse and scrambled bugs, it's safe to disable them for now. For me personally I don't care about crash logger, but I'm really bugged about bug fixes sse and scrambled bugs because those two fix some serious stuff and it pains me every day to wake up and see that they are still not updated.

Thanks - makes sense.