Updated SSE Step Guide xLODGen & TexGen Settings?

Hi,

I noticed that the new TexGen 4K settings, on the Step guide now shows for the Texture Size Max only 1024, instead of 2048. It use to be listed before as 2048, which I assumed was correct for 4K settings, or has something now changed in the latest DynDOLOD Alpha versions, that it's now 1024?

Step Skyrim Special Edition Guide (stepmodifications.org)

I also noticed for xLODGen, that now all the Default Size: Diffuse/Normal are on none. Before for LOD32 it was 256 for both. None is now correct for both when using LOD32? The Format also changed, it use to be BC7 Max, now it's Quick. Quick is also correct to use now?

The guide xLODGen | DynDOLOD says to set the Default Size Diffuse/Normal; Typically set Size to 512 or 1024 for LOD32.

MipMap are also checked now on the latest screen shots on the Step Guide for xLODGen, and shenson said to not use these.

Edited by mooit

9 hours ago, mooit said:

Hi,

I noticed that the new TexGen 4K settings, on the Step guide now shows for the Texture Size Max only 1024, instead of 2048. It use to be listed before as 2048, which I assumed was correct for 4K settings, or has something now changed in the latest DynDOLOD Alpha versions, that it's now 1024?

Step Skyrim Special Edition Guide (stepmodifications.org)

I also noticed for xLODGen, that now all the Default Size: Diffuse/Normal are on none. Before for LOD32 it was 256 for both. None is now correct for both when using LOD32? The Format also changed, it use to be BC7 Max, now it's Quick. Quick is also correct to use now?

The guide xLODGen | DynDOLOD says to set the Default Size Diffuse/Normal; Typically set Size to 512 or 1024 for LOD32.

MipMap are also checked now on the latest screen shots on the Step Guide for xLODGen, and shenson said to not use these.

The settings are all correct and consistent with the previous guide version (2.0.0) but for two differences.

First is the Default size setting for xLODGen. This should technically be 256, but it probably doesn't matter, since it is a catch-all that will otherwise use another value I believe. Let us know if sheson explicitly recommends it be set to a value in the doc or a post.

Second, we recommend BC7 Quick everywhere, since that seems to be possibly faster and just as reliable. Max should work fine though. I don't see any difference between the two in game. These are terrain textures that don't really look great anyway, and they are only noticeable when missing or when something is really 'bad' (like z-fighting or other GFX anomalies).

Regarding mips, we intentionally use them on the map (LOD32) and at LOD4 along with Raise steepness. It isn't clear if either one of these settings make any difference at all. If sheson has evidence that these increase z-fighting issues, we will change them, but I don't think there is evidence either way.

17 hours ago, z929669 said:

The settings are all correct and consistent with the previous guide version (2.0.0) but for two differences.

First is the Default size setting for xLODGen. This should technically be 256, but it probably doesn't matter, since it is a catch-all that will otherwise use another value I believe. Let us know if sheson explicitly recommends it be set to a value in the doc or a post.

Second, we recommend BC7 Quick everywhere, since that seems to be possibly faster and just as reliable. Max should work fine though. I don't see any difference between the two in game. These are terrain textures that don't really look great anyway, and they are only noticeable when missing or when something is really 'bad' (like z-fighting or other GFX anomalies).

Regarding mips, we intentionally use them on the map (LOD32) and at LOD4 along with Raise steepness. It isn't clear if either one of these settings make any difference at all. If sheson has evidence that these increase z-fighting issues, we will change them, but I don't think there is evidence either way.

Ok well on the xLODGen|DynDOLOD guide, I just followed that and put the Diffuse/Normal on 512, and I didn't use mipmaps, because shenson said before it wasn't needed.

Something else I noticed on the guide xLODGen | DynDOLOD it mentions; (I'm using LOD32)

MipMap should only be enabled for LOD4 and the Build diffuse. The game does not use mipmaps for higher LOD levels and never for terrain LOD normalmap textures.

Ok I'll use BC7 Quick...

What about for TexGen 4K the Texture Size Max shown now 1024, instead of 2048 like before?

THANKS

Edited by mooit

8 hours ago, mooit said:

Ok well on the xLODGen|DynDOLOD guide, I just followed that and put the Diffuse/Normal on 512, and I didn't use mipmaps, because shenson said before it wasn't needed.

Something else I noticed on the guide xLODGen | DynDOLOD it mentions; (I'm using LOD32)

MipMap should only be enabled for LOD4 and the Build diffuse. The game does not use mipmaps for higher LOD levels and never for terrain LOD normalmap textures.

Ok I'll use BC7 Quick...

What about for TexGen 4K the Texture Size Max shown now 1024, instead of 2048 like before?

THANKS

xLODGen mips are only enabled for LOD4 and LOD32 (map). The texture sizes are optimized for HD/QHD/4k respectively just as they were in the previous guide.

TexGen max texture size should be 2048 at 4k ... I will fix that when I get some time.