DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 169

sheson

4 hours ago, sheson said:

You do not need to update Occlusion.esp in this case. Hide it. Generate LOD. Unhide it.

When the program reads large BTOs, especially in parallel, it needs a lot of memory for that particular process. OcclusionMaxThreadsObjectLOD=1 should limit it, though. You might want to try with OcclusionMaxThreadsObjectLOD=0 but it may end up being slower overall.
Let the OS handle virtual memory settings. Close unneeded (background) processes.

Omg, yes! Changing my virtual memory settings actually fixed it! Works smoothly and fast again, now. Thanks!

2 hours ago, GuyWithOneEye said:

Ok I think I figured out where the inis should go, so there were 3 concerning files in overwrite. In the data tab of MO2, I've moved the files such that I'm seeing MainFormSwap_WIN.ini and Serialization.ini (both were in a folder called Seasons in the overwrite) are now in the "seasons" folder and it says for mod "Seasons of Skyrim SKSE" and po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.ini (which was in SKSE>Plugins in the overwrite) is now in SKSE > Plugins and it also says for mod Seasons of Skyrim SKSE. Does this sound correct? And I'll need to rerun the generation again now right?

MainFormSwap_WIN.ini and Serialization.ini are typically generated by po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.dll, so it makes sense to keep them with that mod.

In LODGen_SSE_<worldspace>_log.txt, I see:

Output: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\
Using UV Atlas: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_ObjectAtlasMap_Tamriel.txt
Using Flat Textures: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_FlatTextures.txt
Using Alt Textures: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_AltTextures_Tamriel.txt
Generating object LOD meshes for worldspace Tamriel
Reading C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
Threads: 32
Concs: 8

Isn't the last line supposed to read "Cores" rather than "Concs"? I'm doing some experiments with LODGenThreadSplit settings and this threw me off a bit.

33 minutes ago, z929669 said:

In LODGen_SSE_<worldspace>_log.txt, I see:

Output: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Objects\
Using UV Atlas: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_ObjectAtlasMap_Tamriel.txt
Using Flat Textures: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_FlatTextures.txt
Using Alt Textures: C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_AltTextures_Tamriel.txt
Generating object LOD meshes for worldspace Tamriel
Reading C:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_SSE_Terrain_Tamriel.bin
Threads: 32
Concs: 8

Isn't the last line supposed to read "Cores" rather than "Concs"? I'm doing some experiments with LODGenThreadSplit settings and this threw me off a bit.

It is a short for "Concurrents" and used together with the threads value to set the initial and max count of a SemaphoreSlimDynamic.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sheson said:

So TexGen is waiting for Texconvx64.exe to finish.

Antivir never changing in all those years? New graphics driver?

Check if the folder C:\Users\Alexi-PC\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\ still exists from former sessions. Delete it.
Then run TexGen again and check if there are any files left in the folder when TexGen reaches the end and waits for Texconvx64.exe to finish.

See what happens when you end Texconvx64.exe process in task manager.

Use https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texdiag, a sister program of texconv, to determine the compression format of textures to see which ones are converted to BC7 and which one are still uncompressed.

The plot thickens...

Other than updates, anti virus has not changed. I did upgrade from a geforce 1070 to a 3060 ti. Did not blow away the old graphics drivers though, as they autimatically updated to the 3060.

the TexGen_SSE folder deletes itself whenever texgen is shut down. I took a peek in the file when texgen gets stuck, I checked the file generated in TexGen_SSE, copied its contents, and then killed texconvx64.exe. Texgen generated the following error message. Both file contents and error message as is below.

Spoiler

#"D:\game installs\skyrim mod storage\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -aw 256 -w 212 -h 256 -m 1 -f BC7_UNORM -bc q -o "D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp"
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp\fagustortuosagremsheim_dead01_004643ad_2_n.dds
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp\fagustortuosagremsheim_dead01_004643ad_2.dds

EDIT: it appears I did not save the correct error message to go with this file. Apolgies.

nature of the wild lands also has 3D lods designed for DynDOLOD 3. I reinstalled the mod without the LODs, and still got the same issue, but with different errors:

Spoiler

#"D:\game installs\skyrim mod storage\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -aw 256 -w 144 -h 256 -m 1 -f BC7_UNORM -bc q -o "D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp"
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp\s3dlandscapes_treesnowqueen02_0011c4b2_2_n.dds
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp\s3dlandscapes_treesnowqueen02_0011c4b2_2.dds
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp\s3dlandscapes_treesilkyoak02_0020ffce_1.dds
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp\s3dlandscapes_treesilkyoak02_0020ffce_1_n.dds

[Main Instruction]
Texconv error 1.

[Content]
"D:\game installs\skyrim mod storage\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -aw 256 -w 144 -h 256 -m 1 -f BC7_UNORM -bc q -o "D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\s3dlandscapes nextgenerationforests.esp" -flist "C:\Users\Alexi-PC\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\Texconv_143_4_C007E2D58C0041F4946B60A659E83397.txt"

I did a check of the dds file texgen keeps hanging on, and the info and analyze are as follows:

Spoiler

texdiag info icewall01lod.dds

icewall01lod.dds
        width = 256
       height = 128
        depth = 1
    mipLevels = 1
    arraySize = 1
       format = R8G8B8A8_UNORM
    dimension = 2D
   alpha mode = Opaque
       images = 1
   pixel size = 128 (KB)

texdiag analyze icewall01lod.dds

icewall01lod.dds
Results by item (  1) and mip (  1)

Minimum - (0.227451 0.317647 0.352941 1.000000)
          Average - (0.429984 0.558623 0.610880 1.000000)
          Maximum - (0.686275 0.835294 0.874510 1.000000)
         Variance - (167.980606 201.697525 206.240845 0.000000)
          Std Dev - (12.960733 14.202025 14.361088 0.000000)
        Luminance - 0.794902 (maximum)

Edited by asebw

The evlas discussion and LOD's not getting proper shadowing with EVLAS and CG suffering from the same in the lod distance is nothing new, i've written about it months ago, CABAL written about it on enb dev forum also many months ago. I guess many people don't mind it. 

53 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

The evlas discussion and LOD's not getting proper shadowing with EVLAS and CG suffering from the same in the lod distance is nothing new, i've written about it months ago, CABAL written about it on enb dev forum also many months ago. I guess many people don't mind it. 

It has noting to do with EVLaS and CG. They work together as expected. LOD just doesn't cast/receive shadows from full objects. It's a game limitation, and recent discussion on this topic concluded that the next Alpha will have back_light flag unset by default with possibly some other functionality to customize grass LOD for better tuning with CG grass.

Yes its ingame problem, but EVLAS excarberate it, you get stark changes between lod vs non-lod with EVLAS shadowing. Its especially noticeable on distant grass that don't get shadowing but is blasted by sun, then as you come in it gets shadowing. It might be related to DALC problems too discussed in ENB forum, dont remember if its vanilla issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asebw said:

The plot thickens...

Other than updates, anti virus has not changed. I did upgrade from a geforce 1070 to a 3060 ti. Did not blow away the old graphics drivers though, as they autimatically updated to the 3060.

the TexGen_SSE folder deletes itself whenever texgen is shut down. I took a peek in the file when texgen gets stuck, I checked the file generated in TexGen_SSE, copied its contents, and then killed texconvx64.exe. Texgen generated the following error message. Both file contents and error message as is below.

Hide contents

#"D:\game installs\skyrim mod storage\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -aw 256 -w 212 -h 256 -m 1 -f BC7_UNORM -bc q -o "D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp"
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp\fagustortuosagremsheim_dead01_004643ad_2_n.dds
D:\Dyndolod output\textures\terrain\lodgen\nature of the wild lands.esp\fagustortuosagremsheim_dead01_004643ad_2.dds

EDIT: it appears I did not save the correct error message to go with this file. Apolgies.

nature of the wild lands also has 3D lods designed for DynDOLOD 3. I reinstalled the mod without the LODs, and still got the same issue, but with different errors:

Reveal hidden contents

I did a check of the dds file texgen keeps hanging on, and the info and analyze are as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

The temp folder is specifically deleted when the tool shutdown to not leave garbage behind.

Run TexGen again, when it starts waiting for Texconvx64.exe again, open the txt file and note the first line.
Copy it without the leading #
Add this to end of it
 -flist "C:\Users\Alexi-PC\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\Texconv_*.txt"
replace the Texconv_*.txt with the actual filename of the txt in the temp folder.
So you end up with something like this:

"D:\game installs\skyrim mod storage\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -sepalpha -aw 256 -w 168 -h 512 -m 1 -f BC7_UNORM -bc q -o "D:\Dyndolod output\Textures\DynDOLOD\lod\trees" -flist "C:\Users\Alexi-PC\AppData\Local\Temp\TexGen_SSE\Texconv_0_1_295FB0E4FEA14BDFB89F91F41225C022.txt"

Close TexGen and then run this command on a command prompt to see what happens.

ok, all of those inis are with that mod, and I've tested that it's not generating new inis in the overwrite after loading a save so I think it should be good. I started by removing all dyndolod stuff from MO2, LOOTing, loading from a pre "seasons of skyrim" save, made a new save, indoors at breezehome in whiterun. I'll even wait like 30 seconds after entering breezehome just to be safe. All of that has been my usual process for testing this. Then ran texgen/dyndolod, all default settings other then using the low preset in dyndolod for testing and checking the snow box, and I triple checked that seasons is checked and the default + the four seasons options are ticked. I'm not sure what else I'm missing. Verified all the files you mention are the same session. Overwrite is empty. Seasons are and have been swapping fine, just not the tree lods.

I've tested and noticed a couple other things. For one, loading that save (that was made PRE dyndolod) with all dyndolod stuff removed, the tree lods look normal, obviously they don't switch with the seasons and they're the vanilla lods, but there's not weird out of place aspens or wrong pine variant lods. The issue is introduced when I run dyndolod.

And I've noticed something else, the way in which the lods look correct/incorrect depend on what month it is when I exit breezehome. My current save is in autumn, so if I exit and look around everything looks great, dyndolod seems to have worked successfully. I test around riften, looks great. Everything is autumn themed. Then I go back inside breezehome, set gamemonth to 11(winter) and go back outside, everything is messed up. I'll also point out, as I have "turn of the seasons" which has a patch for HLT to change the aspens to different colors for each season, when I look around whiterun, and I see a bunch of aspen lods randomly replacing pine lods, I see the aspen variant of whatever season it was before I exited breezehome for the first time.

For example: Load game in breezehome, set gamemonth to 2(spring), exit breezehome, whiterun areas look normal, riften areas with aspens look normal, I see spring aspens and the correct lods, go back to breezehome, set gamemonth to any other seasons and suddenly I'm seeing aspens around whiterun that seem to correspond with the spring aspen lods. Or I can start with gamemonth 11(winter) and everything looks normal, I see snowy pines around whiterun. Dead aspens in riften. As expected. Go back in, switch to any other season, and now I see mostly winter lods, snowy pines/dead aspens around whiterun. I even used to test this with a mod that lets you wait 30 days, and I had the same issue with that, so I don't think using the commands are messing anything up. Is there anything wrong with my process here?

So dyndolod is absolutely CREATING the correct lods, and when I load the game it's absolutely capable of using all the correct swapped lods for a given season, but only for whatever season it is before I exit breezehome.

Oh also, I looked in the "seasons" folder in DynDOLOD_Output, there's only 3 inis for SPR SUM WIN, is there supposed to be an AUT as well?

DynDOLOD created a bug report while processing but did not close or provide any additional messages. I was able to close the program gracefully after the but report was created:

logs & bug report

Context: Using Alpha 118 with standard DLL after a system overahul of bloatware and disabling XMP to avoid any stability issues caused by that. System hardware is not overcloked. Windows manages memory. System specs in sig. Nothing relevant in the Event Logs

EDIT: This issue has been happening after many attempts in a similar manner on the mod list but without the bug report. I finally got the bug report after disabling XMP in BIOS and cleaning out Armory Crate and other bloatware. I suspect that one of these actions may have been disrupting creation of the bug report since forever. I'm currently testing if this is reproducible.

EDIT2: Second attempt halted similarly, but no bug report.

Logs

5 hours ago, GuyWithOneEye said:

ok, all of those inis are with that mod, and I've tested that it's not generating new inis in the overwrite after loading a save so I think it should be good. I started by removing all dyndolod stuff from MO2, LOOTing, loading from a pre "seasons of skyrim" save, made a new save, indoors at breezehome in whiterun. I'll even wait like 30 seconds after entering breezehome just to be safe. All of that has been my usual process for testing this. Then ran texgen/dyndolod, all default settings other then using the low preset in dyndolod for testing and checking the snow box, and I triple checked that seasons is checked and the default + the four seasons options are ticked. I'm not sure what else I'm missing. Verified all the files you mention are the same session. Overwrite is empty. Seasons are and have been swapping fine, just not the tree lods.

I've tested and noticed a couple other things. For one, loading that save (that was made PRE dyndolod) with all dyndolod stuff removed, the tree lods look normal, obviously they don't switch with the seasons and they're the vanilla lods, but there's not weird out of place aspens or wrong pine variant lods. The issue is introduced when I run dyndolod.

And I've noticed something else, the way in which the lods look correct/incorrect depend on what month it is when I exit breezehome. My current save is in autumn, so if I exit and look around everything looks great, dyndolod seems to have worked successfully. I test around riften, looks great. Everything is autumn themed. Then I go back inside breezehome, set gamemonth to 11(winter) and go back outside, everything is messed up. I'll also point out, as I have "turn of the seasons" which has a patch for HLT to change the aspens to different colors for each season, when I look around whiterun, and I see a bunch of aspen lods randomly replacing pine lods, I see the aspen variant of whatever season it was before I exited breezehome for the first time.

For example: Load game in breezehome, set gamemonth to 2(spring), exit breezehome, whiterun areas look normal, riften areas with aspens look normal, I see spring aspens and the correct lods, go back to breezehome, set gamemonth to any other seasons and suddenly I'm seeing aspens around whiterun that seem to correspond with the spring aspen lods. Or I can start with gamemonth 11(winter) and everything looks normal, I see snowy pines around whiterun. Dead aspens in riften. As expected. Go back in, switch to any other season, and now I see mostly winter lods, snowy pines/dead aspens around whiterun. I even used to test this with a mod that lets you wait 30 days, and I had the same issue with that, so I don't think using the commands are messing anything up. Is there anything wrong with my process here?

So dyndolod is absolutely CREATING the correct lods, and when I load the game it's absolutely capable of using all the correct swapped lods for a given season, but only for whatever season it is before I exit breezehome.

Oh also, I looked in the "seasons" folder in DynDOLOD_Output, there's only 3 inis for SPR SUM WIN, is there supposed to be an AUT as well?

Test if LOD for each season and the default is correct with a new save.

Edit po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.ini and set Season Type = 0, start the game, open console and type coc whiterun and check if LOD matches. Quit.
Then do same for Season Type = 1, then 2 etc.

Terrain, object and tree LOD are just meshes and textures directly loaded by the game. They are not part of any saves. Waiting does not change the meshes or textures. If terrain, object or tree LOD for all seasons work that way and only go weird when times passes or things change in the game, then it is outside of then it is caused by something outside the control of DynDOLOD.

Your autumn setup only switches 13 records. If there is no autumn season ini in the output, it means none of the dynamic LOD is affected by that season.

5 hours ago, z929669 said:

DynDOLOD created a bug report while processing but did not close or provide any additional messages. I was able to close the program gracefully after the but report was created:

logs & bug report

Context: Using Alpha 118 with standard DLL after a system overahul of bloatware and disabling XMP to avoid any stability issues caused by that. System hardware is not overcloked. Windows manages memory. System specs in sig. Nothing relevant in the Event Logs

EDIT: This issue has been happening after many attempts in a similar manner on the mod list but without the bug report. I finally got the bug report after disabling XMP in BIOS and cleaning out Armory Crate and other bloatware. I suspect that one of these actions may have been disrupting creation of the bug report since forever. I'm currently testing if this is reproducible.

EDIT2: Second attempt halted similarly, but no bug report.

Logs

Add GLListDebug=1 and GLDebug=1 under [DynDOLOD] in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_SSE.ini. Remove all old logs and bugreport.txt and run again. Upload new log, debug log and bugreport.txt.

• Like 1

OK I tested all of that, everything looks normal in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and in 5 the issue persists. I suppose this must be something wrong with certain mods/load order/configs or something else. Happy to at least rule out DynDOLOD and save file issues. I appreciate your time and helping me troubleshoot, thank you.

2 hours ago, GuyWithOneEye said:

OK I tested all of that, everything looks normal in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and in 5 the issue persists. I suppose this must be something wrong with certain mods/load order/configs or something else. Happy to at least rule out DynDOLOD and save file issues. I appreciate your time and helping me troubleshoot, thank you.

So if you select none/default or a specific season the LOD matches everything? That means that DynDOLOD generated LOD correctly and it is working properly.

Sounds like somehow SeasonsOfSkyim is not loading the corresponding LOD files when the season switches in the game. Test if saving, quitting, restarting the game, loading the save makes it load the corresponding files.

Did you make any other changes to the po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.ini? Like enable skipping, disable swapping or LOD switching for a specific season?

Check the c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.log for message especially regarding LOD files being found and used or not.