DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 169

sheson

32 minutes ago, tugsthen said:

Howdy, I use DynDOLOD for a long time and never had any issues, yesterday I've changed my combination of textures (Replaced many with Parallax versions) and generated a new output from DynDOLOD, since then all games saved with this new output causes a crash on loading the save. Here is the crash log (It has the call stack and load order afterwards):

https://pastebin.com/y44VhsTQ

It is a very strange issue, because I can load or start any games without a problem, the LODS are working amazingly, and even if I make the save inside a small cell where there are no LODs, I still get the crash issue when loading it. When I turn off my new DynDOLOD output, I can save and reload without an issue.

The new output was generated using the exact same parameters as my previous output.

Read the first post which log and debug log to upload when making posts.

There might be a problem with MuJointFix.dll from Mu Joint Fix (Knee Fix dll edition). Test without the mod/dll/esp.

https://dyndolod.info/FAQ "ILS or CTD"
If there are problems loading saves, make sure the clean save procedure was followed correctly when updating from scratch.

Make a clean save as explained at https://dyndolod.info/Help/Clean-Save and https://dyndolod.info/Updating

On 2/24/2023 at 9:14 PM, sheson said:

It is pointless purposefully wasting time making posts that are obviously useless.

You're right. But taking Texgen over 1 hr instead of 5 mins couldn't be a Texgen problem. The logs where all good. I found the issue: the AMD GPU driver. I reverted back to version 22.5.2 and Texgen was fast again.

Maybe this helps someone else with the same problem.

Edited by DannyDeVito

26 minutes ago, DannyDeVito said:

You're right. But taking Texgen over 1 hr instead of 5 mins couldn't be a Texgen problem. The logs where all good. I found the issue: the AMD GPU driver. I reverted back to version 22.5.2 and Texgen was fast again.

Maybe this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Read the first post which log and debug log to upload when making posts.

The debug log contains the graphics card driver information.
We already know since a very long time that newer drivers with rewritten OpenGL support can be problematic. Using older drivers is a troubleshooting step and not a fix.
You are purposefully withholding logs that could help with this being looked into, analysed, despite several requests. 

3 hours ago, sheson said:

Why is using the LOD models included in the Majestic Mountains DynDOLOD V3.0 LOD Pack (all versions) a band-aid fix? Why are they being overwritten or changed? There is something you are not telling us.

If the vertex RGB colors of a combined supermesh are all > 0.9 they are optimized away by LODGen. So far regardless of alpha channel values, since LOD models using the HD snow/ash shader always have vertex colors with at least one color channel less than 0.9.

That explains it. Thanks!

I'm trying to remove the fake ambient occlusion effect on some of the mountain LOD meshes because they can sometimes look out of place with my setup.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:54 AM, sheson said:

Check the Windows Event log for related entries.

Add RealTimeLog=1 under [TexGen] to ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_SSE.INI run again and upload that log.

Hi,

I tried what you asked:

• No logs in Event Viewer related to TexGen
  • Managed to get a successful run with version 118
  • Then, TexGen started closing again without apparent reason (real time logs attached).

Thanks!

TexGen_SSE_realtime_log-BaseSize256-HDTreeDisabled.txt

11 hours ago, Rakz said:

Hi,

I tried what you asked:

• No logs in Event Viewer related to TexGen
  • Managed to get a successful run with version 118
  • Then, TexGen started closing again without apparent reason (real time logs attached).

Thanks!

TexGen_SSE_realtime_log-BaseSize256-HDTreeDisabled.txt 2.19 MB · 0 downloads

If there are no normal log, debug log written it means TexGen is being terminated without going through its exception handler and shutdown procedures.

If there is really no Windows Event log, look into things like hardware trouble, for example CPU overclocking/cooling, BIOS settings, memory timings etc. 

See what happens by adding TextureCache=10 under [TexGen] in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_SSE.INI
Then test what happens setting RenderThreads=1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but why does the complex grass billboard (that is, the DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif file) need to have a Back_Lighting flag? I noticed in my Skyrim the color seam between full grass and grass lods wasn't too prominent during daytime and nighttime, but when it's dawn or dusk some parts of the grass lods lit up like crazy while the full grass nearby are all dark. I later found out it's because both sides of the grass lods lit up when the sunlight was coming from one side. If you look towards the direction the sun is facing, full grass and grass lods would all light up and color seam would be minimal, but when you look towards the sun only the grass lods would light up. This resulted in a massive color difference and the effect in itself was also quite jarring to see. I experimented a little with DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif and found out removing the Back_Lighting flag from the mesh makes complex grass lods generated with it react to sunlight normally. I'm not a Nifskope expert and there's always a possibility that only I encountered this strange phenomenon, so I came here to ask. FYI, I use Qw's Grass Patch (and its complex grass retexture, of course), Rudy Cathedral Zangdar ENB preset and EVLAS. Both DynDOLOD and ENB are at their latest versions.

29 minutes ago, heheloveer said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but why does the complex grass billboard (that is, the DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif file) need to have a Back_Lighting flag? I noticed in my Skyrim the color seam between full grass and grass lods wasn't too prominent during daytime and nighttime, but when it's dawn or dusk some parts of the grass lods lit up like crazy while the full grass nearby are all dark. I later found out it's because both sides of the grass lods lit up when the sunlight was coming from one side. If you look towards the direction the sun is facing, full grass and grass lods would all light up and color seam would be minimal, but when you look towards the sun only the grass lods would light up. This resulted in a massive color difference and the effect in itself was also quite jarring to see. I experimented a little with DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif and found out removing the Back_Lighting flag from the mesh makes complex grass lods generated with it react to sunlight normally. I'm not a Nifskope expert and there's always a possibility that only I encountered this strange phenomenon, so I came here to ask. FYI, I use Qw's Grass Patch (and its complex grass retexture, of course), Rudy Cathedral Zangdar ENB preset and EVLAS. Both DynDOLOD and ENB are at their latest versions.

The complex grass shader in ENB makes full grass be lit from both sides by flipping its normal vector (or something similar to that effect). The backlight flag mimics that behavior.

Either you do not have complex grass effect enabled or the way it works changed in newer ENB versions or maybe it has to do with the full grass models being different than the vanilla full grass models.

The defaults are for Vanilla complex grass for ENB grass LOD test:

13 minutes ago, sheson said:

The complex grass shader in ENB makes full grass be lit from both sides by flipping its normal vector (or something similar to that effect). The backlight flag mimics that behavior.

Either you do not have complex grass effect enabled or the way it works changed in newer ENB versions.

I'm sure I have complex grass effect enabled in ENB, have installed complex grass textures and have used DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif as grass billboard, though it will have to wait for some time before I can produce some before/after screenshots to prove my claim. Do you plan to verify this yourself at some point?

Edit: I see you uploaded a video and if that's a full day-night cycle the vanilla grass lod does seem to behave normally. Indeed, it probably have something to do with the grass mod I'm using. Would you look further into this problem? Many people use modded grass so I think they could use some official support regarding this matter.

Edited by heheloveer

13 minutes ago, heheloveer said:

I'm sure I have complex grass effect enabled in ENB, have installed complex grass textures and have used DynDOLOD_flat_4x2alt_lod.nif as grass billboard, though it will have to wait for some time before I can produce some before/after screenshots to prove my claim. Do you plan to verify this yourself at some point?

No DynDOLOD logs. No information which grass mods are being used. No information which ENB version is used. No information which ENB complex grass settings are used.

12 minutes ago, sheson said:

No DynDOLOD logs. No information which grass mods are being used. No information which ENB version is used. No information which ENB complex grass settings are used.

I already said I use Qw's Grass Patch (and of course all the grass mods it combines), Rudy Cathedral Zangdar version and latest ENB binary. The logs and ENB complex grass settings would have to wait but I don't think I edited the complex grass parameters from Rudy's preset. Also I'm pretty sure DynDOLOD behaved the way it should and it's only a model problem, but if you insist I could run with both versions of the billboard model and provide the respective logs.

Edited by heheloveer
Typo.

33 minutes ago, heheloveer said:

I already said I use Qw's Grass Patch (and of course all the grass mods it combines), Rudy Cathedral Zangdar version and latest ENB binary. The logs and ENB complex grass settings would have to wait but I don't think I edited the complex grass parameters from Rudy's preset. Also I'm pretty sure DynDOLOD behaved the way it should and it's only a model problem, but if you insist I could run with both versions of the billboard model and provide the respective logs.

What I need would be the links to the actual mod/ENB with information which version and options are installed. The logs/debug logs typically provide the load order and settings.

The default non complex settings/assets are for the vanilla game/grass, the default complex grass settings/assets are for the vanilla game/grass with Vanilla complex grass for ENB and default ENB settings. If other grasses, ENBs (weather mods) are used, the settings/assets most likely need to be adapted.

if it works better without backlighting for you, then just do it...

31 minutes ago, sheson said:

What I need would be the links to the actual mod/ENB with information which version and options are installed. The logs/debug logs typically provide the load order and settings.

The default non complex settings/assets are for the vanilla game/grass, the default complex grass settings/assets are for the vanilla game/grass with Vanilla complex grass for ENB and default ENB settings. If other grasses, ENBs (weather mods) are used, the settings/assets most likely need to be adapted.

if it works better without backlighting for you, then just do it...

Grass mod is QW's Grass Patch (main version) with complex grass textures from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/67304. ENB preset is Rudy Cathedral Zangdar's version. I meticulously followed the installation guides provided by their authors and have installed all their prerequisites.

I mean, DynDOLOD should support all kinds of modded content, right? Maybe it's just because I messed up somewhere but the grass mods I use are popular. If what I saw in my game can be replicated, it would mean lots of other people might be experiencing the same problem, and they deserve a more... well, officially supported way to solve this. Editing the ini files? Sure. But I don't think users should resort to editing the mesh themselves, or at least, there should be some mention in the official documents that editing the meshes are in some cases necessary. I will provide the logs, screenshots and any other relevant information I can think of sometime later and you could decide what to do with them.

21 minutes ago, heheloveer said:

Grass mod is QW's Grass Patch (main version) with complex grass textures from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/67304. ENB preset is Rudy Cathedral Zangdar's version. I meticulously followed the installation guides provided by their authors and have installed all their prerequisites.

I mean, DynDOLOD should support all kinds of modded content, right? Maybe it's just because I messed up somewhere but the grass mods I use are popular. If what I saw in my game can be replicated, it would mean lots of other people might be experiencing the same problem, and they deserve a more... well, officially supported way to solve this. Editing the ini files? Sure. But I don't think users should resort to editing the mesh themselves, or at least, there should be some mention in the official documents that editing the meshes are in some cases necessary. I will provide the logs, screenshots and any other relevant information I can think of sometime later and you could decide what to do with them.

How is DynDOLOD supposed to include settings/assets for all possible combinations of grass, weather or whatever mods, INI settings, ENB, ENB settings?

Default settings are for the vanilla game, simple as that.

How is DynDOLOD not supporting all kinds of modded content? You said you change the setting to get the desired effect? 

> they deserve a more... well, officially supported way to solve this

For things to get easier or be simplified, they first need to be reported or asked for. Maybe also monetary support helps adding convenience features.

The documentation already explains that weather, ENB etc. affect brightness and what settings to use to counter that. Like the tools, the documentation is in ALPHA, so not all aspects might be covered, yet.