Wrye Bash doesn't seem to do some things the documentation says it does.

VikingPrince

Question

I have a whole mess of mods, well in excess of the 255 plugin limit.  Wrye Bash says that it can get us around that limit by combining them into a bashed patch.  The documentation says that any plugins included in the bashed patch will then be automatically deactivated.  The documentation also claims that plugins don't have to be active to be included in the bashed patch.

I don't see this happening.  For one thing, plugins which aren't activated aren't being included in the bashed patch, and it won't let me activate all plugins at once to create a bashed patch.

I don't see any way around this.  Anybody have a solution?  I didn't see very much in either the STEP topics or in the Wrye Bash documentation about creating bashed patches, to be honest.

7 answers to this question

Wrye Bash can only merge certain plugins into the bash patch. You must have an awful lot of mods for you to be exceeding the limit despite ESL plugins. You honestly will have a lot of problems with a load order of such magnitude, so I would recommend downsizing. Barring that, you will need to learn how to use zMerge.

57 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Then there is likely no need to reduce your plugin count, due to being able to load literally thousands of ESL flagged plugins. Most likely most of your mods are flagged as such.

I found out about that after posting this; all the ones in green can be ESL-flagged.  I flagged all the ones I could, and I still have to reduce my plugin count by about 20 or so.  I have a lot of mods.   :amazed:

20 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Wrye Bash can only merge certain plugins into the bash patch. You must have an awful lot of mods for you to be exceeding the limit despite ESL plugins. You honestly will have a lot of problems with a load order of such magnitude, so I would recommend downsizing. Barring that, you will need to learn how to use zMerge.

I have 687 active mods at the moment.  I used WB to ESL-flag all those I can.  Still need to work around a few; I might have to try zMerge.

On 9/6/2022 at 8:49 PM, DoubleYou said:

WB 310 or greater no longer merges plugins for Skyrim SE/AE or Fallout 4.  It can do ESL flagging but you should know what you can and can't add the ESL flag to before using it.  

If you're in doubt about a candidate plugin. toss the plugin into xEdit and check it with the ESL tools and scripts there.